RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Obsidian a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 09:22 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Kiltz notes "And I have a bad enough time dealing with OCD, no thanks to places like this."
I suffer from many of the same symptoms with my aggravated case of DCO, which is just like OCD except that the letters are in proper alphabetical order, as they should be.
Old 10-16-13, 12:31 PM
dmpus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me quote Henry Ford here for you guys
"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."
Black color equals luxury mature ride. However, to be in style, there are consequences..
Being obsessed with your own vehicle is a bit much, however black requires a lil obsession ..
Old 10-16-13, 12:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpus
Let me quote Henry Ford here for you guys
"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."
You do know why he said that right? It was because black was the only color they had, they couldn't paint the Model T in more than one color in their assembly line process.
Old 10-16-13, 01:38 PM
tfischer

And I don't think they clearcoated it, either.
Old 10-16-13, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfischer
And I don't think they clearcoated it, either.
They'd have thought clearcoat was voodoo magic LOL
Old 10-16-13, 01:46 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You do know why he said that right? It was because black was the only color they had, they couldn't paint the Model T in more than one color in their assembly line process.
Actually they could. Ford switched to black because it was the only color available in quick dry paint. But there were other colors available in the early years of the Model T and then offered again a little over a decade later. I believe black wasn't even available for the first four years of production.

My friend owns a body shop and swore by that statement as well, I won my bumper getting painted for free.
Old 10-16-13, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Actually they could. Ford switched to black because it was the only color available in quick dry paint. But there were other colors available in the early years of the Model T and then offered again a little over a decade later. I believe black wasn't even available for the first four years of production.
We're both right. Yes they had additional colors earlier in the run of the Model T (I believe those colors were red, green, blue, grey). Ford went all black for the Model T in 1913 (there was no black before then as you said) and yes the reason why they CHOSE black was because it was a quick dry paint. BUT, the reason they needed a quick dry paint was because of their assembly line process and needing to meet ramped up demand.

Colors came back in 1926 to try and boost demand for the Model T which had lagged, and it was ultimately replaced by the Model A in 1928.
Old 10-16-13, 03:59 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
When Leo says: "Never had problem with swirls even with commercial car washes," I note that this is not the same as saying "Never had swirls with commercial car washes." As noted above, if you use "commercial" car washes, then you have swirl marks in the paint.
Maybe my eyes is getting bad or I am not paying attention that much. But after a commercial wash, I wax the car and I don't see any swirls.
Old 10-16-13, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Maybe my eyes is getting bad or I am not paying attention that much. But after a commercial wash, I wax the car and I don't see any swirls.
They're there.
Old 10-16-13, 05:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Temporary fill by the wax probably.
Old 10-16-13, 06:53 PM
tfischer

Most waxes have "fillers" which make it look good for a day or so, depending on the weather. In very hot weather, the heat melts the wax away in fairly short order. That's why you have to wax a car every few weeks. The polymer finish (e.g.: Zaino) is applied directly to the bare paint and chemically bonds to the paint and will last for six to nine months. No fillers and no abrasives involved, pollymers are a little harder to apply at first, because you have to strip off all the wax, but after that, they can be refreshed with almost no effort at large intervals. They look best on dark colors such as red and black.
Highly recommended.
Old 10-17-13, 12:03 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing dealers do not hand wash cars.

So do you guys ask the dealer not to wash your car when you go in for 5K, 10K, ..., etc. servicing? I am yet to take it in for my first servicing. My car color is Claret Mica (basically Maroon color).
Old 10-17-13, 12:25 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by elba123
I am guessing dealers do not hand wash cars.

So do you guys ask the dealer not to wash your car when you go in for 5K, 10K, ..., etc. servicing? I am yet to take it in for my first servicing. My car color is Claret Mica (basically Maroon color).
You're right.
You can request THIS to your SA. or limit to interior cleaning only ( vacuum etc).
My experience with dealer car washes, in 4 states ( CT, RI, MA and CA), you're better off paying the $8-10 car wash at the gas station.
Old 10-17-13, 01:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My dealer has a machine but I don't let them wash it. All it takes is one look at the loaners to know why. Some are obsidian and the swirls are pretty bad. I tell my SA to skip the wash even though she knows already. Most of the times the RXh is already clean anyway. I hand wash it every week, except when it's raining or snowing
Old 10-17-13, 01:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
.....except when it's raining or snowing
Anita, Anita, come on now....if hose ain't froz'n, you be wash'n.

Quick Reply: Obsidian a mistake?