RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Programming the garage door opener

Old 08-16-14, 09:10 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wooohooo! Got the Home link to work Super happy. Took several attempts and in the process wiped out my original opener and my wife's but finally all three work fine. Took a good twenty minutes. I have a 2005 Chamberlain lift master paired with a 2010 IS350C Home link.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 08-16-14 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 03:49 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll be easy if you realize that the first part is matching/ learning the frequency of the car to that of the receiver. (Need to press the buttons on car and remote together).
The second part is to learn / synchronize the rolling code from the garage door device (need to press buttons on garage device and then in the car within 30 seconds).
Old 08-19-14, 11:16 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

Now that I learned the 2010 Homelink on my RX350 can be replaced, i may just get one from Sewell. Got a new garage 6 months ago and have been using the LIftmaster remote since we could not program my 2010 to take their new codes. My 2012 CT200h did eventually program after many attempts.
Old 08-20-14, 06:51 PM
usagi
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much. I own a 2011 Sienna XLT and a 2012 Lexus RX 350. For over a year, I've been unable to pair my vehicles with a LiftMaster and have resigned to using the standard supplied remotes until now.

As stated before, the Toyota/Lexus manuals insinuate that these are two separate procedures yet they are actually combined as one.

Originally Posted by ownerrx350
Thank you all for your responses. I got the following procedure from Chamberlain Liftmaster Support which worked for me. So I am posting it for the benefit of others who may face the same issue. Steps 1,2 and 4 are inside the car. Step 3 is on the Liftmaster opener.

The manual makes it sound like their are two methods to programming, but it is actually The first part of training and then the next part. After you do the part with the remote, you then go to the learn button and do the second part of training. I have included the instructions below.
-You should be parked right outside.
-Vehicle needs to be running or in the accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer Homelink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional Homelink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote as close as possible to the Homelink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired Homelink button and the hand-held remote button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

3. Press and release the "smart" or "learn" button once. Do not hold this button down. NOTE: Holding this button down too long will erase all devices programmed to your garage door opener.

4. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the programmed Homelink down for 3 seconds, 2 separate times.

Thanks again, to all those who replied, for taking the time to respond.

Last edited by usagi; 08-21-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 10:52 AM
Clutchless

Lost in translation....?
Old 08-21-14, 01:06 PM
usagi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Lost in translation....?
Does this mean you don't understand what I wrote or that you don't comprehend the instructions I quoted from "ownerrx350"?
Old 08-21-14, 01:17 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried programming my second button for an entry gate but it didn't work. From the user manual it looks like I need to use a different method to program it, i.e. while holding down the homelink button, click the gate remote for two seconds and release it. Repeat until homelink light flashes quickly.
Will see if it will be successful the second time around.
Old 08-22-14, 08:26 AM
Clutchless

I meant that Lexus/Toyota screwed up the Homelink programming instructions because English was not their native language.

Also I just priced a HomeLink repeater and they are less than $50. Cheaper than trying to buy a newer model HomeLink unit from Lexus.

Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com

I learned on another thread about this that fluorescent lights in the garage can interfere with the ability to program HomeLink. So turn them off first!

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-22-14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-27-14, 12:18 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

update on my 4th attempt to program the buttons for an entry gate.
No go! I tried the instructions in the manual for the remaining two buttons but after several attempts they still cannot open my friend's apartment complex's entry gate.
At this time I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
James
Old 08-28-14, 03:56 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Are you not able to do the first part or the second part ?
For the first part (pairing remote to car), keep trying with different distance and angle between the remote and buttons on your car, until the LED begins to flash RAPIDLY.
After that happens the second part is easy (synchronizing the rolling code). Press the learn button on the GARAGE console and within 30 seconds press the button inside your car. The garage lights may blink indicating that pairing is complete.
I understand it is very tedious and frustrating at times ( I had almost given up), but it WILL work..... and you will be relieved that all is well with the electronics of your car.
Old 09-04-14, 02:35 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

I don't have problems with neither parts. It looks like the gate opener is of rolling code type so I would need access to the learn button.

However I just found out from the apartment complex's management that they wouldn't allow tenants to program the opener to their car. They would gladly sell you another gate opener remote for about $100.
What a rip off if you ask me!
Old 09-04-14, 09:16 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Entry gates are almost always not a rolling code. That way you can just buy a remote and set the dip switches accordingly. If someone had to manually go the opener for each new remote it is typically cost prohibitive.
Old 09-05-14, 05:43 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

To Sc 400, your situation seems to be more complicated than I imagined. I was talking about garage openers for individual houses / units. In your case buying that remote from manager may be the only option.
If it's any consolation, your car is functioning flawlessly......Regards.
Old 12-21-14, 05:29 PM
rllexusrs
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2004 Lexus RX 330 garage door opener - These instructions works!

I just bought a used 2004 RX, and I just could not get the garage door opener to work with my Chamberlain lift master. My wife's Lexus ES worked on the first try, so I was almost certain something is wrong with my RX since doing the exact same steps didn't work. And the steps were:
1. Press my garage door's training button.
2. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the car's garage opener's desired button.

Easy right? The 2010 ES worked easily using the above, but I tried many times and the RX just doesn't work...

And then my wife re-read the Lexus manual, and says this car may need to follow the "rolling code" system method. Who knew!?? She tried it and it worked right away. It required a few extra steps, as described in the post below. I wish I found the following post earlier, and I wouldn't have wasted like an hour. The instruction below works!

Originally Posted by ownerrx350
Thank you all for your responses. I got the following procedure from Chamberlain Liftmaster Support which worked for me. So I am posting it for the benefit of others who may face the same issue. Steps 1,2 and 4 are inside the car. Step 3 is on the Liftmaster opener.

The manual makes it sound like their are two methods to programming, but it is actually The first part of training and then the next part. After you do the part with the remote, you then go to the learn button and do the second part of training. I have included the instructions below.
-You should be parked right outside.
-Vehicle needs to be running or in the accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer Homelink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional Homelink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote as close as possible to the Homelink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired Homelink button and the hand-held remote button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

3. Press and release the "smart" or "learn" button once. Do not hold this button down. NOTE: Holding this button down too long will erase all devices programmed to your garage door opener.

4. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the programmed Homelink down for 3 seconds, 2 separate times.

Thanks again, to all those who replied, for taking the time to respond.