RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CPO leather flaking & discoloring

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 04:58 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default CPO leather flaking & discoloring

In January we bought a 2010 RX 450H with less than 12,000 miles. Love the vehicle. But 2 months ago noticed a yellowing discoloring on the drivers leather in a few spots. It is the light gray leather. Also some flaking. I had a similar flaking with our 07 ES350. The dealer had their detailer clean the RX drivers leather but now notice it returning and several areas of the coloring flaking off. I've heard they treat any seat imperfections to prep for CPO sale. In fact it looked new when bought. The feel of the drivers leather is also different than all the other seats.
The car still has less than 20,000 miles. This is ridiculous.
Has any experienced this or had Lexus resolve. Is this an issue with other CPO owners?
Old 10-01-13, 05:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If you could post some pictures it would be helpful for the conversation.
Old 10-07-13, 03:35 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Thumbs down Picture of leather flaking

Couldn't get yellowing discoloration to show up, but flaking came thru . Other area also flaking. Would love to know if others have seen this on drivers seat of CPO vehicles. My 2nd one over the years, other parchment, this one light gray. Not sure what they use to "initially" make the seat look new, but this bites the big one. Please nite they've agreed to replace the seat. And salesman acknowledge others have similar complaint over the years. Not good Lexus!!! Hope this comes thru. Not sure if I downloaded the pic correctly. CPO leather flaking & discoloring-image.jpg
Old 10-07-13, 03:36 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Also, note. The brownish coloring in photo not true. It is light gray but lighting for iphone photo yep tough. But flaking shows up
Old 10-08-13, 07:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is something wrong, take it to the dealer, perhaps the leather tanning process got screwed up. Good luck!
Old 10-08-13, 09:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raviola4
Please nite they've agreed to replace the seat. And salesman acknowledge others have similar complaint over the years. Not good Lexus!!!
Not good Lexus???

Ok, I'm lost. You've had the vehicle for 9 months and two months ago YOU notice a discoloring on the drivers seat. How is Lexus at fault for anything?

You've put 8,000 miles on a vehicle in the time you've had it.

If the seat didn't have the discoloration when you inspected and purchased it, then it would stand to reason that the flaying or discoloration came after while in your possession. You did say it was perfect upon purchase. And Lexus being Lexus is replacing your seat under warranty at no cost to you.

What am I missing as to why you're not praising the almighty Lexus deity that you are so fortunate?

Last edited by oohpapi44; 10-08-13 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 12:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not good Lexus???

Ok, I'm lost. You've had the vehicle for 9 months and two months ago YOU notice a discoloring on the drivers seat. How is Lexus at fault for anything?

If the seat didn't have the discoloration when you inspected and purchased it, then it would stand to reason that the flaying or discoloration came after while in your possession. You did say it was perfect upon purchase. And Lexus being Lexus is replacing your seat under warranty at no cost to you.

What am I missing as to why you're not praising the almighty Lexus deity that you are so fortunate?
Not to mention that this is a CPO...who knows what the previous owner was doing to clean the seats and where the car was kept.

I agree that this is not a valid complaint. He's probably just letting off steam (and probably in the wrong place).

"Why is my luxury used car having problems 7 months after I bought it!?" - if this was a new car, this would be a different story.
Old 10-08-13, 12:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

raviola4 was probably referring to the fact that the dealer said there were similar complaints about the seats over the years. If it is indeed a problem, it should be addressed though I haven't seen anything like that in my 15 years of RX ownership, just wrinkles and very minor flaking here and there. I do question how the seats were cleaned. Clearly it was something aggressive but there's no definitive way to determine who is at fault.

raviola4, let the dealer replace the seat and maintain the leather with proper products and mediums. There's plenty of recommendations over in the detailing forum. Chances are you won't have a problem like that again.
Old 10-08-13, 03:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Dealers actually often spray a layer of dye on top of the seats for CPO cars to make them look new. I'm sure this is that dye coating failing.

It can be done properly so this doesn't happen...but they just don't take the time to do it right. The leather needs to be sanded a little, dye needs to be sprayed, sanded, then a new layer of the polyurethane coating needs to be sprayed on. They just spray the dye and call it done.

This is absolutely a valid complaint. Its not Lexus' fault, its the selling dealer's fault and they should make it right.
Old 10-08-13, 06:51 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gross! Never seen anything like that. Our first RX was 14 years old and only had creases. Even though it would be hard to prove a great dealer would support you. On the other hand if its stuff they sprayed maybe ask another dealer's opinion.
Old 10-09-13, 04:56 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the car has so little miles it was barely driven, thus probably the leather wasn't conditioned regularly as well. You can drive a Honda or a Bentley, leather needs to have some type of conditioner applied at minimum twice a year otherwise it dries out and you get flaking. Also note the flaking is located in the crease of the seat where dirt can accumulate which is like sand paper when you getting in and out of the car.
Old 10-09-13, 05:54 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not good Lexus???

The dealer treated the seats with whatever apparently to look new. This is peeling off in numerous places . The discoloring showed up on the seat as well as side. I have a 3 year old Acura TSX with light gray leather. Car was new . Other than normal creases from sitting etc no leather problems. And also my previous CPO Lexus had similar issues. And I'm not alone. Most likely a crappy detail shop.
Old 10-09-13, 07:18 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I think next time you should look for another dealer if you go the CPO route, since you've encountered this situation now twice in two different vehicles. It appears you have a DEALER issue (or they do with their subcontractor, which isn't YOUR problem). I'm glad your dealer has stepped-up to the plate and agreed to replace the seat in your RX, allowing you to move on -- THAT is Lexus Customer Service.

FWIW, I've never had an issue with the leather in my 5 newly purchased Lexus since 1995, so doubt this is a pervasive brand problem.

Enjoy your RX.
Old 10-09-13, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Since the car has so little miles it was barely driven, thus probably the leather wasn't conditioned regularly as well. You can drive a Honda or a Bentley, leather needs to have some type of conditioner applied at minimum twice a year otherwise it dries out and you get flaking. Also note the flaking is located in the crease of the seat where dirt can accumulate which is like sand paper when you getting in and out of the car.
Actually no. Lexus leather is coated and really cannot be conditioned. My old 2003 ES is still in the family, it has 170,000 miles on it. Leather has never been conditioned and it still looks great. That flaking is the sprayed on coating from the CPO process, thats nothing I've ever seen from OEM leather.
Old 10-10-13, 08:07 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Default Seat flaking etc.

Obviously a dealer or dealer detail shop issue. They've agreed to replace the seat entirely and I'll make sure not another light gray they've sprayed crap on for CPO. Passenger seat is fine. It's yellowing again and flaking in many areas. Can't imagine if I use the heat in winter, which I don't . Anyway, other than creases, normal leather aging, no leather should do this. They should leave the seats alone. 12,000 miles I'd expect some creases etc. and this looked perfect. Now I know why. Hopefully in several years if I stick with Lexus CPO they'll have revised the way the prep the leather for sale. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: CPO leather flaking & discoloring