RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

aftermarket remote start

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 07:30 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default aftermarket remote start

I need input from some one who may have been in the same situation:

in Feb 2012 I bought new RX350 from a delaer, as part of the sale a remote start was included into the sale price for extra $400.
After about 6-7 months I heard a rattle noise coming from the below the glove box - I opened the plastic panel under the glove box, and a remote start module fell off to the floor, only held by its wiring.
Apparently, the installer "glued" the module to another "box" under the glove compartment using double-sided tape, and w/ time the tape got lose, so the remote start module fell on top of the plactic panel (causing rattle noise).
I used better double-sided tape and glued the module to the same place where it was before, and also used a plastic strap to reinforce - no more noise.
later I found out that the remote start module has it's dedicated location under the dashboard - and to install it properly, the knee bolster, glove box, and some plastic panels need to be removed.
When I brought my RX to 10K service I requested that the module be re-installed in to its factory location.
I just reviewed my service records from that date, and it says "aftermarket alarm R/R".
Called the dealer-according to service advisor, aftermarket Audiowox remote start was installed when I bought new RX.
I believed OEM Lexus Remote start should have been used unless I was specifically told about aftermarket part installed on my new RX.

Was the dealer obligated to tell me they installed aftermarket parton my new RX?

Thanx
Old 09-18-13, 09:57 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is good practice for them to tell you that it is 3rd pty. However, there isn't a law saying they must. Also, there is usually paperwork that you much sign on delivery that shows anything added to the stock vehicle. I guess the question to ask them is why do they chose the 3rd pty over the lexus. Before doing so I would look at your paperwork and see how much you where charge for the part and install. Sewell has the Lexus part listed for $240. It could be a case where the dealership charges the Lexus cost but installs a 3rd pty and pockets the difference; which is totally shady! However, you may find they did it because the one from Lexus requires a subscription. This would turn me off if i was buying the lexus one.

Originally Posted by m1964
I need input from some one who may have been in the same situation:

in Feb 2012 I bought new RX350 from a delaer, as part of the sale a remote start was included into the sale price for extra $400.
After about 6-7 months I heard a rattle noise coming from the below the glove box - I opened the plastic panel under the glove box, and a remote start module fell off to the floor, only held by its wiring.
Apparently, the installer "glued" the module to another "box" under the glove compartment using double-sided tape, and w/ time the tape got lose, so the remote start module fell on top of the plactic panel (causing rattle noise).
I used better double-sided tape and glued the module to the same place where it was before, and also used a plastic strap to reinforce - no more noise.
later I found out that the remote start module has it's dedicated location under the dashboard - and to install it properly, the knee bolster, glove box, and some plastic panels need to be removed.
When I brought my RX to 10K service I requested that the module be re-installed in to its factory location.
I just reviewed my service records from that date, and it says "aftermarket alarm R/R".
Called the dealer-according to service advisor, aftermarket Audiowox remote start was installed when I bought new RX.
I believed OEM Lexus Remote start should have been used unless I was specifically told about aftermarket part installed on my new RX.

Was the dealer obligated to tell me they installed aftermarket parton my new RX?

Thanx
Old 09-19-13, 07:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Why in the world would they install an aftermarket remote start? So that they could make an extra $100?
Ouch. I had my dealer install a remote start in my '01 IS (back in 2000). The job was done so poorly, that I ripped that thing out and put my own in. Needless to say, I won't let anyone come close to installing anything in my '03 IS or '13RX.

What does the sticker say? Usually, they list OEM parts on the sticker.
Old 09-19-13, 08:09 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Why in the world would they install an aftermarket remote start? So that they could make an extra $100?
Ouch. I had my dealer install a remote start in my '01 IS (back in 2000). The job was done so poorly, that I ripped that thing out and put my own in. Needless to say, I won't let anyone come close to installing anything in my '03 IS or '13RX.

What does the sticker say? Usually, they list OEM parts on the sticker.
There is no remote start on the sticker because it did not come w/ it from the factory.
I will look later but hightly doubt that it would say anything but "remote start", thus leaving them w/ option to install anything they wanted.
The aftermarket remote start cost ~$50. The OEM is $240, even if they don't pay MSRP, the difference is probably more then $100...

I wonder if I should deal w/ dealership and insist they remove aftermarket (which works fine BTW), or demand refund of the difference;
OR
should I take this to corporate level? And demand answer from lexus itself why their dealer installs aftermarket part w/o informing the customer. I am sure Lexus corporate would not like the fact that dealer used aftermarket module.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-20-13, 12:35 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Wink

Honestly I wouldn't make a huge deal of this. It is working correctly and you don't have to be locked into a subscription to use it. Over time you'd be spending more for the lexus just so you can start the car with your iPhone. (goto Sewell.com and look for details in the accessories ) regardless the cost of installing the device while maybe $100 at the top end, it is the actual labor that costs the most. installing either lexus or 3rd pty requires pulling the whole passenger side dash. You can find the instructions on Sewell's site for the Lexus RES+. it isn't a quick install by any stretch. All that being said, i think you should have been told about it. So If i where you, I would keep what you have. however, i would go talk to the general manager and see if you could squeeze something out of them; maybe a free service or like a permanent 20% discount off any accessories you buy from the parts dept. State the fact that, thou it is working, you had to fix the install as it wasn't secured properly and you expect more from a "Luxury Car Dealer". see where it gets you.
Good luck!
David
***NOTE EDIT: While Sewell lists the RES + for $240, the Lexus site has it for $799

There is no remote start on the sticker because it did not come w/ it from the factory.
I will look later but hightly doubt that it would say anything but "remote start", thus leaving them w/ option to install anything they wanted.
The aftermarket remote start cost ~$50. The OEM is $240, even if they don't pay MSRP, the difference is probably more then $100...

I wonder if I should deal w/ dealership and insist they remove aftermarket (which works fine BTW), or demand refund of the difference;
OR
should I take this to corporate level? And demand answer from lexus itself why their dealer installs aftermarket part w/o informing the customer. I am sure Lexus corporate would not like the fact that dealer used aftermarket module.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by cubbie036; 09-20-13 at 02:05 AM. Reason: add correct pricing info
Old 09-20-13, 07:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would question how well the aftermarket remote start works.
The pros: does it turn off the vehicle when you open the door? If it doesn't, then it works better then OEM.
The cons: how well did they bypass the engine immobilizer and integrated into the smart-key system:
Does the smart key and the remote still function when the vehicle is remote-started
Can the vehicle be started from the inside by following the same sequence as on the remote, e.g. lock, lock, lock or turning on hazards.
Will the headlights turn off automatically if they were left in the Auto mode and the vehicle was remote-started and then shut-down without opening any doors?
Old 09-23-13, 09:00 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cubbie036
Honestly I wouldn't make a huge deal of this. It is working correctly and you don't have to be locked into a subscription to use it. Over time you'd be spending more for the lexus just so you can start the car with your iPhone. (goto Sewell.com and look for details in the accessories ) regardless the cost of installing the device while maybe $100 at the top end, it is the actual labor that costs the most. installing either lexus or 3rd pty requires pulling the whole passenger side dash. You can find the instructions on Sewell's site for the Lexus RES+. it isn't a quick install by any stretch. All that being said, i think you should have been told about it. So If i where you, I would keep what you have. however, i would go talk to the general manager and see if you could squeeze something out of them; maybe a free service or like a permanent 20% discount off any accessories you buy from the parts dept. State the fact that, thou it is working, you had to fix the install as it wasn't secured properly and you expect more from a "Luxury Car Dealer". see where it gets you.
Good luck!
David
***NOTE EDIT: While Sewell lists the RES + for $240, the Lexus site has it for $799
Cubbie036,

thanks lot for your advise - the remote start work well, I have not had any problems w/ it so far, and I would not want to sart pulling things out esp. things that work; but I am upset that the "premium Delaership" employs shady tactics of a used car lot and can't install part so that it does not fall off in a few months...
Old 09-24-13, 12:39 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

You're most welcome! I think you're making the right choice to keep it as is. I would go talk to the GM about not being told it was 3rd pty and that they did a crapy job of securing it. That being said, after I looked into the RES+ I found the yearly fee is only $65. Which isn't bad. It does also have some cool features like unlocking doors and adjusting the climate controls remotely. Of course the Lexus charge of $799 is lunacy! But as a club lexus member,, we are eligible for a discount at Sewell. The kit is about $190 and change from them. I am a gadget geek so I ordered one to install it myself. (Yes wish me luck.) I am doing a few other mods to my 450h and figured while I have the glove box side dismantled.... why the hell not. I'll let you know how it goes and if it was worth the cost.
David

Cubbie036,

thanks lot for your advise - the remote start work well, I have not had any problems w/ it so far, and I would not want to sart pulling things out esp. things that work; but I am upset that the "premium Delaership" employs shady tactics of a used car lot and can't install part so that it does not fall off in a few months...
Old 10-05-13, 04:01 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

> Can the vehicle be started from the inside by following the same sequence as on the remote, e.g. lock, lock, lock or turning on hazards.

Vlad, can you pls explain this procedure in more detail, I am not aware of it, but am very interested in it... thx for ur excellent posts...
Old 10-20-13, 05:30 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed NEW Viper system....hands down, blows away the RES+ which I had removed and Lexus provided full refund. In addition to the RES+ failing often, and being cumbersome, the Viper OTOH is feature rich, and so far has proven to be very reliable.

The Viper "auto" arms after 60 seconds of leaving the car, (assuming u forgot to arm it) a feature I really appreciate. The Viper also arms upon arming the RX's security system, i.e. by locking the doors. The Lexus Alarm remains intact. Viper offers a lot of neat features through GPS, which are not for me, but others may benefit from it... Viper web site explains these well. They also offer a lot of integrated accessories such as tilt alarms (notify u car is being towed), proximity warnings, etc.

Cost is $179 for 3 years, for basic texting service (txt on alarm + remote cell start), a bit less than RES+ fee.