RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sirius Subscription from prior owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 01:02 PM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Subscription from prior owner

I just bought a 2011 RX to replace a 2007 model. So far we're liking it really well. The Sirius is nice... being able to listen to the same channel on a longer road trip. Apparently the previous owner had pre-paid for service in the car, so I'm benefiting from his expense. My question is if y'all know if it's possible to ping Sirius to find out how long I'll enjoy this without stirring them and potentially getting my service shut off?

Thanks!
Dave

PS -- Many thanks to those on these forums that post so much great information! It's a wonderful resource!
Old 08-30-13, 06:45 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Parker
I just bought a 2011 RX to replace a 2007 model. So far we're liking it really well. The Sirius is nice... being able to listen to the same channel on a longer road trip. Apparently the previous owner had pre-paid for service in the car, so I'm benefiting from his expense. My question is if y'all know if it's possible to ping Sirius to find out how long I'll enjoy this without stirring them and potentially getting my service shut off?

Thanks!
Dave

PS -- Many thanks to those on these forums that post so much great information! It's a wonderful resource!
Im in the same boat, previous owner probably prepaid the whole year, not impressed with Sirius sound quality though, a little low in volume but hey its free for now.......
Old 08-31-13, 05:19 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since no one else has responded, perhaps you've stumped the forum.

In my experience, the only way to input a radio number on the SiriusXM website is to do that AFTER you have signed in (meaning, first created your own online userid and provided them info about yourself). You can then input your radio number to "add it" to your account, and it's at that point their system comes back and tells you if it's on a trial period, assigned to someone else, or whatever.

The only thing I can think of is you call their customer service number, and give it a go, but I think that is very problematic. I'm not a lawyer, but if you carefully read their customer agreement, they specifically state that most subscriptions are transferrable if a fee is paid, but OTOH, they also have terms that say "Subscriptions (other than Lifetime Subscriptions) included by an automaker in a vehicle upon its initial sale or lease may be cancelled by us upon the sale and/or transfer of the vehicle to a subsequent owner. SUBSCRIPTIONS THAT ARE INCLUDED AS PART OF THE SALE OR LEASE OF A VEHICLE ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE".

I'll let you go read their customer agreement using the link I provided above to come up with your own opinion, and make your own decision how important it is for you to know the answer to your question.
Old 08-31-13, 05:37 AM
BertL

I should add, that if a subscriber to the SiriusXM service (in this case the previous owners of your trucks) would have called SiriusXM, they could have transferred their remaining subscription to a new vehicle they purchase (old lifetime subscriptions have different terms) ...in other words, I suspect they could still "take away" what's left on your RXs if they remembered to do that little bit of work with customer service while the radio is still in their name. Im not sure what would happen if you called customer service first and tried to transfer it to yourself, then they call in -- if they ever do. Maybe it's "whoever gets there first".

Good luck.
Old 09-02-13, 07:30 AM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input BertL -- I'm still thinking about what to do... I'll follow up here once I do.
Old 09-02-13, 09:19 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming this was a purchase from a private seller, they could also call to cancel the service and get a refund. If this was a purchase from a Lexus dealer, they notify Sirus/XM and you get a 3 mo trial subscription. That's what we got with our CPO.

I'd just leave it alone. Use the service until it stops and then contact them if you want to renew. No sense alerting them and losing the benefit. That's like throwing away money in my opinion.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-03-13, 08:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are probably getting the 3 month trial period and not using someone else's subscription. I hadn't realized we had one until we got a call from Sirius asking how we were enjoying the trial.

Trial is not specific to CPO's and any car with OEM Satellite installation is eligible. Believe dealer has to be participating though.
Old 09-03-13, 08:18 PM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You are probably getting the 3 month trial period and not using someone else's subscription. I hadn't realized we had one until we got a call from Sirius asking how we were enjoying the trial.
I thought that was a possibility - but the radio was already active when we test drove the car.
Old 09-03-13, 08:29 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parker
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohpapi44

I thought that was a possibility - but the radio was already active when we test drove the car.
Ours was too, so was Safety Connect. Safety Connect disabled a couple days after we purchased. XM stayed on and we started getting letters about 6 weeks after purchase.

Yes, the dealer has to participate in the process. XM needs to be informed of the transfer either from a prior owner, dealer, or new owner.

I'd just wait and see what happens.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-04-13, 05:22 AM
BertL

To avoid confusion on detail since other things are being introduced into recent posts -- the OP started the thread talking about SiriusXM. My take is:

-- A dealer would perhaps have been involved with the trial IF the OP and second poster bought CPO; not if their new-to-them-RXs were purchased directly via 3rd party. They didn't specify which, so we're making assumptions one way or the other.

-- A dealer provides initial registration information to SiriusXM to enable the trial when a new vehicle is sold, and perhaps, but not confirmed, as has been stated with some special non-standard limited arrangements with CPO. Regardless, SiriusXM handles all customer service related to that registration and radio enablement from there on, including emails, snail mail, and phone calls related to turning that trial into a paid-for subscription. Terms of the agreement are with SiriusXM, not the car mfgr, (including things like privacy policy which I've mentioned in other posts) -- the car mfgr only providing the hardware in their head unit and enabling the trial service on SiriusXM's behalf.

-- Safety Connect (until recently) has nothing to do with SiriusXM and was handled end-to-end by Lexus who I believe outsoured actual back-end support of Safety Connect and Destination Assist to Agero (just as MBZ and VW/Porsche use Hughes Telematics for their support).
What complicates things is, it was announced on 8/15 that SiriusXM is acquiring the part of Agero that provides "connected vehicle" support, so I must assume in the future that SiriusXM will not only be wanting to convert trials of SiriusXM Entertainment/Traffic/Weather to paid-for-licenses, but will be incented some way by Lexus perhaps to do the same with Safety Connect and/or Destination Assist capabilities. ...but for the OP and this post, I don't see any connection with Safety Connect...
...and in the end, I agree with ecr72, it's probably best for the OP and second poster to let sleeping dogs lie for now.

Last edited by BertL; 09-04-13 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Typo/spelling
Old 09-05-13, 06:52 AM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

BertL -- You make many good points about assumptions.

For clarification -- I did NOT purchase this car from a Lexus dealer, but from a Ford dealer. This is NOT a CPO vehicle. This vehicle was traded in by its original owner on June 22, so we're 2 full months past that date. I would presume that if it's on a month-to-month deal he'd have stopped paying by now... so I'm confident he at least bought a year in advance. As long as he doesn't wake up and realize he can transfer it, I'm good! (hopefully he's not a CL member!! )

Also, you raise an interesting point regarding Safety Connect -- I noticed today that the light is red when I first start the car, but it quickly changes to green. I'm *assuming* this means I also have the Safety Connect service enabled? Is there a source through which I can confirm this subscription as well?

And one other thing -- my radio has been turning itself on and off randomly... sometimes several times a day... a "feature" the Lexus tech couldn't replicate. So, it's quite possible I'm going to end up with a different radio in the car soon... and that is almost certainly going to remove my free-to-me subscription.
Old 09-05-13, 10:37 AM
BertL

Parker, thanks for the update. On Safety Connect, try calling the Enform people 1-800-255-3987. More info is at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...bscriptions.do. ...and yes, a green light means its operational.