RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 HID kit review---My opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:49 AM
Drunker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX 350 HID kit review---My opinion

Home, sweet home, after 10 hours working on the marketing field, finally open the garage door, a new Lexus SUV parked inside.

It’s my wife newborn baby, I don’t even know she bought the new car today, OMG, brand new 2013 RX 350 with silver color. She told me paid $42600 plus tax and doc fee. It’s the base model with front wheel drive, premium option, back up camera, etc. What makes me pissed off was the headlamp, NOT hid xenon light. The problem is, she didn’t know that, too. Next day, contacted the dealer and wants to change the headlamp housing to HID regardless how much money shall be charge, the answer is: NO. Hell no……

Slept on couch all night long that night until 9 am, in hurry heading to Car Quest to buy the Philips 4000K crystal bulb, cost $71, installed, OH no, the DRL color is different, searching all over the web, found a Philips diamond version 5000K bulb sell from Amazon for $55, holy cow, paid for next day delivery, another $25.

Awesome look, perfect match. But that HID still inside my mind. I’ve been read all resources about HID, and the answer to my question is, go for a HID conversion kit.

From Ebay to Amazon, Google, Yahoo, AOL, Bing, all over……

Long story short!!!!!!

Purchased more than 15 HID kit, and found they are the same, all Made in China, the difference is the BULB quality.(most important)

Some brand of HID kit I have to point it out, Morimoto from TRS, cost $150 is not worth of it, don’t fool me with a Japanese name, it’s Made in China, hey, without an original imported label. The light bulb base plastic is so thin and weak. Funny thing is, someone told me that KIT just cost $13 for a pair, and the bulb cost $2 for two. (Made in ??????, Origin??????NONE,)

All HID kits harness wire are not perfectly fit into stock socket, I have to used electrical tape to warped it up even though has the male connector.

What I recommended is 55W ballast with built-in CANBUS with 5000K~6000K bulb, not what HID vendor says 35W with 4300K,(they ordered 10 thousand pieces of kits with 35w, of course wants to sell it off, especially those ballast without CANBUS(second generation---OUTDATED))

Hey, trust me, the 55W ballast produced more lights, I’ve read a post that making me laughs none stop…55W will melting your lamp house. My wife RX 350 is use 55W halogen light bulb is producing more heat. LOL. I tested it.

Finally, I chosen the one bought from Ebay and cost $70 HID kit with build in CANBUS, Made In Taiwan for my wife car, WHY? At least, show me……..MADE IN TAIWAN. Please check your ballast, does it has imported label? If without any label, DO NOT buy it. LOL.

Already drunken, from Las Vegas....
Old 08-29-13, 10:18 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel intoxicated after reading this....
Old 08-29-13, 11:27 AM
Drunker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I feel intoxicated after reading this....
Don't drive please, either all-in with pocket aces, there is no such thing as a guarantee.
Old 08-29-13, 04:54 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Wtf did i just read...Its like a kid with too much sugar in his system wrote this。
Old 08-29-13, 07:03 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol I am so confused.
Old 08-29-13, 07:22 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I think he was trying to say... OH LOOK, SQUIRREL!!!!!
Old 09-01-13, 01:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you try some of our vendors like xenon depo or hidxtra?
HID. Oooooooooh. Shiny
Old 09-03-13, 08:04 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by statix04
what? dude 35w kits are legit as hell, my 35w fog lights at 5.5k are brighter than my 8k 55w head lights, ill take a pic to show you. both were ebay bought from xenon depot for cheap *** hell, not a problem in over a year.
8k is going to be far far less bright than 5.5k.

http://matt.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p7182995.jpg
Old 09-03-13, 09:23 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

yea i know the logistics of that all, but my point being was just the fact that 35w is indeed very powerful. the brightest light comes from the 4.3-4.5k but I was also kinda seeking that exotic luxy light look... what would you suggest that has that exotic look for a RX 350, 6k would probably be a very nice color replacemnt to its stock yellow halogens dont you think? ot should I go a bit lower like 5.5k?
I had Philips Ultinon 6000K in my RX for a while and the color looks nice but the amount of light that I get from them is very disappointing compared to the stock lights. I ended up putting the stock HID back in there and then I went and converted my fog lights to HID.

A bit off topic but you mentioned the GS, the projectors on the GS seems to emit a nicer color compared to the RX, it might be in the design of the projector lens and also I notice the HID bulb sits sideways in the GS whereas they point forward in the RX and ES. not sure how much difference that makes.
Old 09-04-13, 09:24 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I had Philips Ultinon 6000K in my RX for a while and the color looks nice but the amount of light that I get from them is very disappointing compared to the stock lights. I ended up putting the stock HID back in there and then I went and converted my fog lights to HID.

A bit off topic but you mentioned the GS, the projectors on the GS seems to emit a nicer color compared to the RX, it might be in the design of the projector lens and also I notice the HID bulb sits sideways in the GS whereas they point forward in the RX and ES. not sure how much difference that makes.
Are you sure you had genuine Ultinons? I know there are a lot of fakes out there.
Old 09-04-13, 09:28 AM
ericsan13
Racer

yea i know the logistics of that all, but my point being was just the fact that 35w is indeed very powerful. the brightest light comes from the 4.3-4.5k but I was also kinda seeking that exotic luxy light look... what would you suggest that has that exotic look for a RX 350, 6k would probably be a very nice color replacemnt to its stock yellow halogens dont you think? ot should I go a bit lower like 5.5k?
I went with 5K HIDs from XenonDepot and I have been very pleased. The output and color is excellent! It's a pure pure bright white.

I felt 6K was a little too 'ricer' as this is a luxury SUV. But everyone has their own tastes. The inside of my car is using 6K LEDs, which feels cooler and is less noticeable.

Luxury and class vs exotic and sporty, it's up to you!
Old 09-04-13, 10:21 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Are you sure you had genuine Ultinons? I know there are a lot of fakes out there.
I'm positive they are real. I bought them from a retailer in person while I was in Japan, didn't go the ebay route. The color look nice but their light output is definitely lower.
Old 09-04-13, 04:10 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I'm positive they are real. I bought them from a retailer in person while I was in Japan, didn't go the ebay route. The color look nice but their light output is definitely lower.
I looked for them when I was in Tokyo last year, but they were nowhere to be found! I wonder if the 5K Ultinons will improve the luminosity?

Where in Tokyo do you go to get them anyway? Maybe next time...
Old 09-04-13, 04:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Try Nigel JDM Parts, one of the CL vendors, for the Ultinons. I have the Diamond Vision 5000K in the fog lights. They have a slight bluish color but I think it looks good on the 450h. The light output is decent too.
Old 09-05-13, 07:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
Try Nigel JDM Parts, one of the CL vendors, for the Ultinons. I have the Diamond Vision 5000K in the fog lights. They have a slight bluish color but I think it looks good on the 450h. The light output is decent too.
Thanks Anita - H11 for the fog lights right?

Also, do you think they will look funny as DRLs (9005) in an IS250 due to the bulb running at 50% power?

Finally, anyone have any thoughts about diamond vision vs silverstar?

Quick Reply: 2013 RX 350 HID kit review---My opinion