RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 Navigation software + POI question

Old 08-27-13, 06:01 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corporate Response.

"I am still waiting on Corporate on whether they will give me an update on my software."

I have received a response and like a couple of other 'commenters' I too have been give a 'Good Will' update with no expiration time with it. I think I will go for the 13.1 when it does come out.
Old 08-27-13, 06:29 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthGa
"I am still waiting on Corporate on whether they will give me an update on my software."

I have received a response and like a couple of other 'commenters' I too have been give a 'Good Will' update with no expiration time with it. I think I will go for the 13.1 when it does come out.
Great news. Lexus comes through.

Enjoy that RX!
Old 08-27-13, 09:01 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice! Good choice to get 13.1 right when they arrive to get maximum benefit, and especially since you have a 2013 with only the 11.1 version. Still have time to get familiar with the 11.1 while you wait.
As for the "goodwill update" that a few are able to get by buying new, before model year map versions arrive. I think, if you are able to swing it, it's a one time goodwill only. I was able to get the update on my early release 2010, but not on my early 2013 when I called last July. Either that, or got the wrong Lexus customer service representative at the time. I'm still happy, as wasn't required for them to give me one. Maybe they will have some kind of solution for the 2 versions of maps available in the same model year in the future.
Old 08-27-13, 10:04 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I'm being led to believe that Lexus will be trying to update more often

While talking to the customer service rep, she seemed to imply that Lexus will be investigating on how/providing more updates ....... something similar to/how GARMIN does it. I told her I was able to get updates quarterly and FREE with the Garmin and she seemed to go along with that is what Lexus 'might' be investigating????
Old 08-27-13, 10:34 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That sounds good but it's making money for the service dept to do the upgrade service. I'd like to see it but I'm not optimistic we will.
While talking to the customer service rep, she seemed to imply that Lexus will be investigating on how/providing more updates ....... something similar to/how GARMIN does it. I told her I was able to get updates quarterly and FREE with the Garmin and she seemed to go along with that is what Lexus 'might' be investigating????
Old 08-27-13, 12:23 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lifetime subscription with Garmin dies when your device dies (or runs out of memory) or is no longer provided by their third party supplier or becomes incompatible, whichever is shorter.
And it still requires you to 'plug-in' to receive the update. So it's not like the Garmin or Tom-Tom are receiving live satellite fields as new streets are mapped, updated or re-named. Thus becomes the question of how is everyone supposed to get their updates to their vehicles

Pretty easy to assume that Lexus went away from using DVD's because people figured out how to copy them and resell them at a lower price. lol i"m really trying to imagine what life would be like if Lexus did free or $99 yearly updates for every nav equipped vehicle.

Hopefully the supplier has mapped your area for the upcoming update. Best of luck.
Old 08-27-13, 12:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

NorthGA, congrats on getting a free update from Lexus. The best thing to do is check what's been updated on 13.1 before you go ahead and install it. You might not be better off than you are now. And thanks for the tip about the possibility of more frequent updates. Like Cruiter I have my doubts. The updates have been basically been the same for the past 10 years - woefully behind and expensive. But at least I have a choice about purchasing it.
Old 09-27-13, 12:19 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default Update on my situation on this post

Those of you who 'also' received a "Good Will" update......make sure it is in writing. I had made an inquiry to my dealer and they seemed to know nothing about me getting an update/upgrade??? They informed me to bring in the letter or supportive documentation??? All of my correspondence had been done on the phone !!!! Soooooooo, I initiated my contact with 'corporate' again with my previous # and I finally got something in writing......so to speak. I need to print off the email that they now have supplied with the supporting info. But.......they now have inserted a price/number.....$169. Hmmmmmm, what does that mean? I only get the software, provided it is still at that price??? I don't get the labor to install it?they are not sending me the software/flashdrive I have to go to the dealership to secure it????

Another note: Even tho I live in a 'not detailed' area the software has been fairly accurate in directing/getting me to places with fairly good accuracy. But....I am a bit concerned with the 'time' of travel it comes up with? My Garmin would show a fairly decent/accurate time of arrival. The Lexus Nav can show something as much as an hour longer than what it should be? It will with time, as you travel, start to subtract from the arrival time. But, I find that a bit disconcerting. When I take a long trip next week I would kinda like to know a respectable time of arrival to my destination during the journey. I guess I will plug in my Garmin too to see how they compare???
Old 09-27-13, 12:48 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Travel time in the Lexus Nav is based on distance and type of road travelled. The Nav has 3 types of roads, each with a MPH setting you can change. Speed is NOT based on posted MPH that some other navigation systems use. Pros and cons of different mfgrs choosing one of those methods over the other has been discussed in other threads if you're so inclined to dive into that.

Go to Menu / Setup / Navigation / Detailed Nav Settings / Driving Speeds. Change the MPH of the 3 settings as suits your general driving situation, e.g if you have a lead foot on the freeway, try a higher number there. My settings are 25, 40, 65 -- but that may not suit you. Also ensure you have "Consider Traffic Info" on that same screen selected. As long as you have the trial or a subscription to NavTraffic, IMO there seems to be some amount of influence on predicted durations if there are traffic jams -- I've seen my arrival time go up when traffic jams pop up further ahead. Be sure to select SAVE on that screen or your selections won't stick.

Good luck with your Nav update. Just play around with those 3 numbers, and I suspect you'll find you will come up with something that works pretty well on predicted arrival time. Remember, if you are "off the map", all bets are off on accuracy -- no Nav could do a great job speculating on road types and MPH for areas it does not know. Enjoy that RX!