Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maintenance @ 5,000 vs 10,000?

Old 08-18-13, 07:29 PM   #1
wsdsingh
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Maintenance @ 5,000 vs 10,000?

So I was in the States last January, and while I was there my 2010 Lexus RX 350 was due for service anyways, so got it serviced at a Lexus dealer there as it was half the price for the same service...

At that time, they also put a sticker on my car indicating the next service is in 10,000 miles. I called the dealer to make sure if what was put up was correct, and he said yes the Lexus RX 350 only requires service every 10k Miles...

I found this odd as here in Canada dealers say maintenance service (oil change) is required every 8,000 km (5,000 miles).

Now my car again is due for service, and I've been getting email notifications from my dealer saying its due, but I'm not sure whether to take it in for service at its current about 9000km mark (5600 miles) or whether to push it to 16,000km/5000miles.

The car currently has 76000km or 47200 miles.

Any recommendations?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
wsdsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 07:42 PM   #2
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

If you are getting synthetic oil you can go 10K miles between oil changes. They would like for you to come in every 5K for items such as inspections and tire rotations. The best source of information is in your Owner's Manual or direct from Lexus at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 01:21 PM   #3
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX330inFL View Post
If you are getting synthetic oil you can go 10K miles between oil changes. They would like for you to come in every 5K for items such as inspections and tire rotations. The best source of information is in your Owner's Manual or direct from Lexus at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do
The canadian requirement is 5000miles not 10, 000. The site pointed to is the us site. The reason I was given was because of our severer weather. If you are still under warranty I would use 5000. That is what I will do then go to 10, 000. My rx doesn't winter in Canada (Snowbird)

Dave
dlchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 02:46 PM   #4
UCSB
Lead Lap

Since you live in Canada, you need to follow the Canadian recommendation of 5,000. You need to have the service performed at the proper intervals to receive full warranty coverage and probably to maximize your resale value down the road. I don't think we know why the service interval is different in the US and Canada. In 2010, many of the initial service materials in the US almost looked like they where 5,000 miles, but eventually the confusion resolved and 10,000 became the standard. FWIW, some of us in the US do get our cars maintained on the shorter interval. I am one of the short interval owners; most owners just go on the 10,000 mile interval in the US.
Old 08-19-13, 05:58 PM   #5
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchandler View Post
The canadian requirement is 5000miles not 10, 000. The site pointed to is the us site. The reason I was given was because of our severer weather. If you are still under warranty I would use 5000. That is what I will do then go to 10, 000. My rx doesn't winter in Canada (Snowbird)

Dave
Well, I did say to go with the Owner's Manual. Want to add the following...

Here is the URL for the same information from the Lexus Canada web site:

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...enance_oms.jsp

According to that the oil change interval is 16000 kilometers or about 10000 miles.

There is a difference between "severe weather" and the "special operating conditions" when it comes to the Lexus warranty and the maintenance schedule. Would find it implausible there is much difference between a vehicle driven in ON versus one driven in upstate NY or MN. Now, Manitoba may be another story though it sounds like you are further south when any cold weather comes along.

Unless you are towing I see no reason why you cannot go 10K miles on an oil change and especially if you are using a synthetic oil and if it is within the time interval as well. Remember it is time or mileage -- whichever comes first. Now, with that said if you are driving in what Lexus considers special operating conditions then you should go by that interval chart. The only thing I can see, other than off-road driving or towing, which might trip that for some owners would be the following from the Owner's Manual: "Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing." It is only those repeated short trips in cold weather which would make your locale different than most any other locale.

Keep in mind that the previous 2nd Generation RX had a 7500 mile (6 months) oil change interval with a 5000 mile (4 months) special operating conditions interval. That was with standard dino oil. Dealers quickly made the 5K mile interval de facto and so it stuck though technically you could go 7.5K miles/6months if you wanted. The dealers never even made a change for the owners when you moved over to a synthetic.

So, IMO the dealer information is faulty. Not wrong, just faulty. They can say that and get away with it since few will ever challenge them on it. Easy cash stream. Even in Canada your oil change interval is 10K miles (16K km) unless you fall into those special operating conditions. However, please keep in mind that this is only for oil changes. You still have the 5K mile (8K km) service interval for other items such as tire rotations.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-13, 05:06 PM   #6
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

My local Lexus Dealer is trying to push the 5,000 miles oil change. I probably will do both oil changes and tire rotations at the 7,500 mark.
GoGiantsNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 11:07 AM   #7
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

My dealer still puts the little sticker on the windshield with the 5,000 mi recommendation even though they use synthetic oil. I just ignore it and do the oil change at 10,000 miles, that is what Lexus recommends.

---------------------------
Evitzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-13, 02:49 PM   #8
MjThind
Lead Lap

I do it every 5K, just because it gives me satisfaction, full oil change and everything...
MjThind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:08 PM   #9
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjThind View Post
I do it every 5K, just because it gives me satisfaction, full oil change and everything...
Will you give me the oil you drain out so I can use it in my RX for another 5,000 miles.
GRPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:17 PM   #10
2GSKaizen
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

The dealer wants to make some money. The dealer's recommendation, and Lexus's recommendation will not always be the same. As stated above, if you aren't towing or doing any extreme duty on that rx, changing the synthetic oil at 5k miles is a waste. Ship it to me if you do, and I'll run it for another 5k.
2GSKaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 07:17 PM