RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What did you do to your THIRD Generation RX today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I washed it!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your THIRD Generation RX today?-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 01:46 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove it for the first time (Hubby has been driving it for the last 11 days).

It's really weird when stopped.

Took me three tries to get it parked in our garage too (having trouble gauging its
size as compared to our Camry).

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
Old 01-19-14, 07:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I washed it!
Haha good one. I got mine more dirty!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your THIRD Generation RX today?-rxdirty.jpg  
Old 01-19-14, 07:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by cflutist
Drove it for the first time (Hubby has been driving it for the last 11 days).

It's really weird when stopped.

Took me three tries to get it parked in our garage too (having trouble gauging its
size as compared to our Camry).

Cheryl

2014 RX 450h AWD
The eerily quiet drive of the hybrid will spook you at first but that's what makes it so special. I miss my previous RX for that.

Lengthwise,the Camry and and RX are identical, but the RX is a little over 2 inches wider.
Old 01-19-14, 09:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

drought in California. No car washing for me
Old 01-19-14, 10:36 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed Husky liners and hardwired a Valentine1 mount in my wife's ride.
Old 01-20-14, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Originally Posted by RXSF
drought in California. No car washing for me
I don't know which one is worse, getting the RX dirty or not being able to wash it. Around here the rain and snow over the past month has been making my RX nice and dirty but is also diminishing the chance of having a drought declared. Go figure.
Old 01-20-14, 04:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by kitlz
I don't know which one is worse, getting the RX dirty or not being able to wash it. Around here the rain and snow over the past month has been making my RX nice and dirty but is also diminishing the chance of having a drought declared. Go figure.
Yeah, personally it's been tough for me seeing how salty my two cars get. Either the streets are still dirty and wet, or the moment it starts to dry up, more snow/rain drops. I washed my IS two weeks ago and only enjoyed its cleanliness for the weekend inside my garage until I had to take it out to go to work on Monday.

For those in California or areas with a water usage lockdown, or for those who want to clean their car at home in the winter without using the frozen hose, have you considered a waterless product to wash your car? I have been using it over the past three years during winter in my garage and no issues with scratches (and winter dirt is the worst kind of dirt). Trick is to spray the product liberally and only wipe once over the dirt with a quality microfiber cloth. Then use another to shine up. Always use a clean side of the towel. I go through about 6 towels per wash.
Old 01-20-14, 05:16 PM
RXSF

Its in january and we haven't had a single rainstorm this winter. For the past month, its been sunny skies in the mid to high 60s. We have been receiving less and less water year after year. If things don't pick up soon, it will be waterless all the way. But Im apprehensive in learning a new technique and trying new products.
Old 01-20-14, 06:40 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those in California or areas with a water usage lockdown, or for those who want to clean their car at home in the winter without using the frozen hose, have you considered a waterless product to wash your car? I have been using it over the past three years during winter in my garage and no issues with scratches (and winter dirt is the worst kind of dirt). Trick is to spray the product liberally and only wipe once over the dirt with a quality microfiber cloth. Then use another to shine up. Always use a clean side of the towel. I go through about 6 towels per wash.
What type/brand of waterless product are you suggesting?

I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area that has been bone dry. The hills are brown right now when they should be green.
Old 01-20-14, 07:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Cheryl, I've been using GoClean. You can get 3-4 washes per bottle and it also adds a nice high-gloss shine. Hope this helps.

http://www.gocleanwaterless.com/prod...rless-carwash/

There's also Meguair's waterless wash and wax that I've heard good things about, but have never tried it.

EDIT: Added Video:

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-20-14 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pupule7 (09-13-20)
Old 01-20-14, 09:06 PM
RXSF

how many washes can you do with 1 bottle on the RX? my guess is not much, 2 at most?

I will definitely look into this for my sedan. seems like a great way to be kinder to the environment. However, its not going to work after a rain storm or if the car is extremely dirty. Best for use in the summer.
Old 01-21-14, 04:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by RXSF
how many washes can you do with 1 bottle on the RX? my guess is not much, 2 at most?

I will definitely look into this for my sedan. seems like a great way to be kinder to the environment. However, its not going to work after a rain storm or if the car is extremely dirty. Best for use in the summer.
I get 4 with the IS. On the RX, about 3. I used it once on the RX over this winter, about a third was gone, but I sprayed it on quite heavily since it was dirty like in the video (road salt). This was used for the entire vehicle including the windows and wheels. You can save some product if the car is less dirty and you omit the windows - use Windex or similar product. Maybe even save doing the roof as it won't show as much, again depending on your situation.

What I don't like about their video demo and I caution anyone is they pass over the same spot several times with the first towel. BIG . With this method, you will introduce very fine scratches in your clearcoat over time. Instead, fold your rag in four, use one clean side per ONE wipe only. Don't re-introduce that dirt you just collected back onto your paint! You then pass over with a clean towel a few times over the same spot afterwards to buff and shine it up. Looks like a decent wax job!
Old 01-21-14, 08:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

EDIT to above posting. I buy my GoClean waterless car wash at CanadianTire. That bottle is 946ml. Didn't realize online it's only 500 ml, so to RXSF, yes, I'd say 2 washes with that smaller bottle, 3 if you don't use it on the windows...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/go...l#.Ut6f8BAo7cs
Old 01-21-14, 09:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live there (Richmond Hill). I don't know how you guys do it...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your THIRD Generation RX today?