RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Step side running board pix..??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 11:51 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Step side running board pix..??

I am thinking about getting step side for the rx, anyone with a pix of their installed step side would like to share ??
Old 08-15-13, 06:49 AM
AconRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. Got these on ebay from a seller in China almost a year ago. I think it was about $300 w/shipping. So far so good
Attached Thumbnails Step side running board pix..??-photo.jpg  
Old 08-21-13, 10:58 AM
my1strx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks really good, How did you install ?
Old 08-21-13, 11:17 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Here are some other options:

http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-rx-side-steps/

John
Old 08-22-13, 10:49 AM
AconRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my1strx350
that looks really good, How did you install ?
I used my 1.5 ton jack in that same driveway you see there. The instructions weren't that clear so I had some figuring out to do but overall it can be installed with basic tools (socket wrench with different size sockets).
Old 08-24-13, 03:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Thank you TXES. The steps your link at Carid.com show look great. I just ordered a black set for my Nebula Gray 13 RX. My wife is a bit vertically challenged and getting in and out of the vehicle is her biggest (pretty much her only) complaint after 8 months of ownership. Can't wait to install them. Will share pics.
Old 08-24-13, 05:01 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Let me see the pics when done.

The wife will be getting a new RX350 in December and I'm sure she might like those.
Old 09-16-13, 01:33 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Just got the running boards / Nerf bars installed today. Not convinced whether I like them or not. I got the 3" bars because I wanted them to be as subtle as possible, although that isn't really a practical reality. They don't look bad, but they stick out about an inch further than I would like. They stick out enough that they are in the way if you are tall enough and don't want to use them. Additionally, they are a bit awkward for rear seat passengers as they aren't quite as long as they need to be (in my opinion). I have taken some pictures that I hope illustrates my initial concerns.

Anyway, they have been on it for exactly two hours so I don't have enough experience to have a fully informed evaluation just yet. My initial reaction is simply mixed and I will have to live with them for a while to give you a better opinion. Naturally my wife will be the acid test. I can live with them, so if it makes access better for her I will just have to consider this a success.

Oh, and everything with Car-ID worked like clockwork. The instructions were not very clear however, which is why I had to engage an accessory shop for assistance. They did say some of the hardware was inadequate and had to add some stouter washers.
Attached Thumbnails Step side running board pix..??-rx-running-boards.jpg   Step side running board pix..??-rx-running-boards-2.jpg   Step side running board pix..??-rx-running-boards-3.jpg   Step side running board pix..??-rx-running-boards-4.jpg   Step side running board pix..??-rx-running-boards-5.jpg  

Old 09-16-13, 03:05 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I like the ones that AconRX has. They look more integrated whereas the bars sticking out looks really aftermarket.

It would be interesting to see what AconRX's car looks like with roof rails though. Could make the car look too 'busy'.
Old 09-16-13, 04:49 PM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^ +1 of the two comparison, I like the one on Acon, better blend into the RX
Old 09-16-13, 09:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

I agree, if the criteria is "cosmetics," however, if "function" is the criteria as it was in my case, these side steps may actually work better. Look closely at those other running boards. They look like a natural extension of the lower rocker panel. In other words, how easy is it to use as an actual "step?" I would love to hear fro AconRX on this. My wife needs an actual functional step, so that was my goal here. Again, the question to me is function versus appearance. One is clearly superior in appearance but how does it compare in actual use if it is the same height as the door sill?

My wife did a quick test when she got home this evening and she really liked them. So that is my main criteria. Happy wife, happy life!
Old 09-17-13, 06:36 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the pictures in this thread for more options:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tall-help.html

Another brand to research is Broadfeet, they don't stick out as far. But if the wife is happy, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 09-21-13, 02:28 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

OK, it hasn't been a week yet but we don't like them. They are coming off. The rubber "steps" in the tubes are in the wrong place, the area for the rear passengers is too short. They just don't work, they stick out too far and the more I think about it the worse they look. My wife liked it out in the middle of the driveway where she could throw the [front] door wide open and climb in, but in a parking lot or garage where you cannot throw the door wide, they just don't work. My wife is in complete agreement and they are coming off.

Here is what I am looking at for my next try:
http://www.deezee.com/products/83/Ne...ng_Boards.html
Old 09-23-13, 07:50 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Out of curiosity, how tall is your wife? Just wondering what the use case is. Or do you have kids?
Old 09-23-13, 09:59 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought the RX was low enough to not have to install any running boards.

Quick Reply: Step side running board pix..??