RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Step side running board pix..??

Old 09-23-13, 02:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only seen one RX in the wild with boards and my wife and I immediately agreed they didn't improve the appearance. Unless you have a very, very short passenger I really don't see the need for side boards on an RX, the vehicle isn't that high.
Old 09-23-13, 05:59 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

No kids. My wife is 5'3". We didn't have any problems with the 2004 RX 330 (although it was probably at the very limit) but this one is just a little taller and she is a bit uncomfortable with that extra height. It is a stretch for her to climb in and she has to slide down off the seat to get to the ground. My sense is that it will eventually wear on the seat to slide down off of it that way.

I realize the vehicle's height won't be an issue for most people, but it is for some. I don't like the running boards and won't use them, but I want her happy and comfortable with the car too.
Old 09-29-13, 01:03 PM
lko25747
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense, I prefer the look of AcornRX's side step much better. I had a similar nerf on my 02 RX years ago and it does look more like an aftermarket product. Back then, the nerfs were more popular.
Old 09-29-13, 03:32 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

These running boards scream Aftermarket because they're either short OR extends way out. They look good on a RAV4 though.
Old 10-03-13, 10:25 AM
AconRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I agree, if the criteria is "cosmetics," however, if "function" is the criteria as it was in my case, these side steps may actually work better. Look closely at those other running boards. They look like a natural extension of the lower rocker panel. In other words, how easy is it to use as an actual "step?" I would love to hear fro AconRX on this. My wife needs an actual functional step, so that was my goal here. Again, the question to me is function versus appearance. One is clearly superior in appearance but how does it compare in actual use if it is the same height as the door sill?

My wife did a quick test when she got home this evening and she really liked them. So that is my main criteria. Happy wife, happy life!
Sorry for the delayed response, been busy with work and the 8 month old toddler. I find the boards I have both functional and good looking; they don't stick out enough to interfere with me getting out of the car (I'm 6 ft) and usefull enough for my 5'4'' wife to get in and out.

My only gripe is that they are about 1 inch or so apart from the frame (these are aftermarket not oem - Lexus if you're reading you might want to make some of these) but it's not that noticeable. I've had them for about a year and no problems up to now. They were a bit of a pain to install since the instructions were not very clear so there's some figuring out to do but overall it's a DIY.
Old 10-03-13, 05:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Thanks for sharing more of your experience with your running boards. I definitely think yours are the best choice. I had hoped the all-black ones would be more subtle but I think all subtlety is lost since they stick out so far. Alas, I would prefer none at all, but I think I will get a set like yours because they look much better than those I installed and will help my wife's ingress/egress. It is a shame they made it taller than the 330. It is only a touch taller, but just enough to make it tough for her. As I mentioned before, I want her completely comfortable with the car so I think these are necessary.

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-13, 05:30 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

As it turns out, we decided to try again and look for a true "running board" like AconRX as on his car. Sadly, those and pretty much everything else we find only fits the 2010 through 2012 model years. They changed the bottom surface of the car in 2013.

Here is the latest set I tried, which according to both the site and the sales rep I spoke with, should work for a 2013 RX. The accessory shop I worked with said "no way, not even close". So I am out the shipping for another set of boards that just plain don't work. The company did give me a modest discount in the price since the first set wasn't satisfactory and they had made it clear up front that they wouldn't take anything back once installed. (I didn't press for a refund but they seemed to feel bad for me anyway).

http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-rx-r...-11058943.html

Anyway, if anyone knows of a style like those AconRX has that will fit a 2013-2014 RX, please do let me know. Until then - it looks like I got my way and the Nerf Bars are gone.

Doug

Last edited by TechNut; 10-15-13 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 08:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this picture represents a 2013 RX or not. But I do know these bars are new as I was just at the shop last month and he brough them down off the wall to show them to me. But I wasn't looking for side bars on my 11 450 (had front/rear push bars installed - Its NYC, sue me)

But Try Broadfeet

http://www.broadfeet.com/side-bars/running-boards/

Contact Us 718-302-1787Broadfeet Motorsports Equipment

Give them a call, guy is excellent to deal with and tell him about the change for the 2013 and see if they have installed on any yet. He'll tell you if they fit.
Old 10-16-13, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^Those running boards look good. They fit flush to the sides. I'd say that's a '10-12 RX based on the rims. And I don't blame you for getting front/rear push bars. No sense of getting bumper rash. It beats those ugly mats hanging out of the trunk any day. Yeah, go ahead and hit me now
Old 10-16-13, 05:31 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

I know these don't match the picture attached to the link I provided above, but these are a dead ringer for the actual boards that arrived. I will definitely need to call first because I think they are the same as those Black Horse boards.

I will certainly check them out. Thanks.
Old 10-24-13, 06:55 PM
Lexusblack
Driver School Candidate

do you have photos of the bottom of the rx? trying to install it myself, but I don't see any opening for the screws.
Old 10-25-13, 08:55 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

GREAT pictures! I salute you in taking them off.
Old 01-23-14, 12:34 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Not sure if this picture represents a 2013 RX or not. But I do know these bars are new as I was just at the shop last month and he brough them down off the wall to show them to me. But I wasn't looking for side bars on my 11 450 (had front/rear push bars installed - Its NYC, sue me)

But Try Broadfeet

http://www.broadfeet.com/side-bars/running-boards/

Contact Us 718-302-1787Broadfeet Motorsports Equipment

Give them a call, guy is excellent to deal with and tell him about the change for the 2013 and see if they have installed on any yet. He'll tell you if they fit.
Thanks for the contact info ! I sent an inquiry for my wife's F-sport. My wife (5'2") and 6 yr-old son struggle getting in and out. I'm sure my 1.5 yr-old son will appreciate it too when his time comes to start buckling himself up.
Old 11-12-14, 08:51 AM
hkochat
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Perfect fit sporty ruunning boards for RX350

Originally Posted by MI350_55
Thanks for the contact info ! I sent an inquiry for my wife's F-sport. My wife (5'2") and 6 yr-old son struggle getting in and out. I'm sure my 1.5 yr-old son will appreciate it too when his time comes to start buckling himself up.
I thought of sharing the following info for those who have yet to decide on the running boards for 3rd generation RX350. I personally tried the tubular 3" Nerf bars first but to me it added more inconvenience as those ones didn't go flush with the body and projected out. Somehow I lost the front end caps on the tubular side steps and manufacturer couldn't provide me a replacement. Finally I came across a very reasonably priced good quality running boards ($170 including shipping) from a US manufacturer. below see the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400593897193?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You can also email directly to customcorvetteaccessories@gmail.com for additional info.

These ones are similar to the running boards posted by AconRx but from a US manufacturer not from China

Attached Thumbnails Step side running board pix..??-rx350-with-running-board.jpg   Step side running board pix..??-rx-350-with-running-board-a.jpg  
Old 11-12-14, 10:23 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you please post pics of the whole car? I would like to see how it affects the overall look.

Thanks,
Eric

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step side running board pix..??