RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 fluid leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 08:24 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX350 fluid leaks

I've had an ongoing issue that has only been prominent during the warmer temps in Texas since May. I had a series of droplets under the vehicle that are odorless and have a consistency like oil that drip from behind the lower oil pan.

Now before I get the standard take it to the dealer response, that is the last thing I wish to do as they always give me something extra like a paint chip or a scratch somewhere on the previous visits. In checking oil levels, it seems hard to read, but the oil level seems as though it may be a bit above the full mark on the dipstick, so I'm wondering if the car has too much oil and this is causing it to overflow. I've also noticed while under the car the pink seal for the transmission fluid on the driver side has fluid lining that seal and a drop there too.

From what I've read, seal problems seem to be the major issue on the RX cars if you have any issues.

So my two questions are, is the oil level being a bit high possible cause for seals letting a little oil leak through? Secondly, is it normal for a little fluid to not drip but line that seal where the transmission fluid is on the underside of the driver side of the vehicle?

I'm very happy with the car otherwise, but being only at 1,000 miles on the car I'm not looking to have the dealer start ripping the engine bay apart. I'd rather insist on a new car at this early of a stage if that is the case.
Old 07-30-13, 06:19 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

I would start by cleaning off the area you mentioned and see if the spots return. If they do, you might want the dealer to look at it when the car goes in for the first service at 5K. Since Lexus will not replace the car with a new one due to an oil leak (even if the car has under 1,000 miles on it), I would first wait and see if it really is leaking by cleaning off the area under the car that have the oil residue and seeing if it returns.
Old 07-30-13, 06:36 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a new dealer if the one you are using is " always give me something extra like a paint chip or a scratch somewhere on the previous visits " . Or walk around the car with the SA and point out any chip or scratch that is on the car and let him know that you will be a very unhappy camper if the car is brought back to you with any thing more than what is on it now.
Old 07-31-13, 08:23 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Speaking with the dealer, 2013 models haven't come in as my car is having leaks. That said, they certainly said how the process works on removing lower and upper seals for the oil with a fluency. So either the car may have too much oil in it, which they couldn't confirm or deny, or the seals on this car were done improperly.

I'll likely take it in once the dealership relocates to their new site in a month's time. Simply frustrating for me to have to visit the dealership given prior history. I appreciate the help so far guys.