RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus & a 3 Row Crossover? Possibly a RX350/450hXL?

Old 07-16-13, 12:15 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus & a 3 Row Crossover? Possibly a RX350/450hXL?

Sup Lexus brothers and sisters! Lexus has been testing all round the world a new smaller crossover the NX which is likely based on the Toyota Highlander, but I guess no one knew that Lexus has a bigger 3 row crossover in the works, but according to this link that is what they are doing. So a couple weeks back a member posted that they wish that Lexus made a 3 row crossover, being who I am I started thinking in business sense said there is no way that they would make a 3 row crossover since it would create an inside competition with their body-on-frame 3 row SUV's the GX and LX. It isn't smart, but who knows? I now they won't replace either model name since the GX has been and will likely stay based on the Land Cruiser Prado and the LX no question will always be based on the Land Cruiser.
Thoughts? So what are your guys opinion should Lexus go ahead and do it or are they creating a inside competition?

Last edited by MjThind; 07-16-13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 02:53 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Here is another link on this subject...
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/05/2...row-crossover/
Old 07-16-13, 04:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

In 2012 the GX sold just over 11K units while the LX sold just over 5K units. That is not very much for the amount of money put into their R&D even if shared with their Toyota labeled counterparts. Do they really need both?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LX
Old 07-16-13, 04:37 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MjThind
Sup Lexus brothers and sisters! Lexus has been testing all round the world a new smaller crossover the NX which is likely based on the Toyota Highlander, but I guess no one knew that Lexus has a bigger 3 row crossover in the works, but according to this link that is what they are doing. So a couple weeks back a member posted that they wish that Lexus made a 3 row crossover, being who I am I started thinking in business sense said there is no way that they would make a 3 row crossover since it would create an inside competition with their body-on-frame 3 row SUV's the GX and LX. It isn't smart, but who knows? I now they won't replace either model name since the GX has been and will likely stay based on the Land Cruiser Prado and the LX no question will always be based on the Land Cruiser.
Thoughts? So what are your guys opinion should Lexus go ahead and do it or are they creating a inside competition?
The NX is most likely NOT based on the Highlander. If you've noticed the Highlander has a 3rd row and is actually bigger than the RX whereas the NX is supposedly smaller. If the NX exist its most likely based on the Rav4.
Old 07-16-13, 04:48 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
In 2012 the GX sold just over 11K units while the LX sold just over 5K units. That is not very much for the amount of money put into their R&D even if shared with their Toyota labeled counterparts. Do they really need both?

Lexus GX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lexus LX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You forgot to add - in the US. There has been 28747 LXs sold worlwide (2012) which is a very strong number. There has been more than 400K Land Cruiser/Prado produced worldwide in 2012. US is not the center of the automotive world for these models.... Far from it.
Old 07-17-13, 01:34 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

See third world countries
Old 07-17-13, 02:29 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cossie1600
See third world countries
...and you wonder why everybody hates Americans?

...well maybe we don't all hate you, but sometimes it's hard to like you.
Old 07-17-13, 07:04 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Why would you judge all Americans on 1 person's comment?
Old 07-17-13, 07:33 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDames2
Why would you judge all Americans on 1 person's comment?
They don't hate Americans; it is the classic JEALOUS of Americans.....
Old 07-17-13, 08:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

OK, time to get back on topic.

MjThind, I've said it before, I hope Lexus doesn't turn the RX into a bus. After all, if it ain't broke... The NX is supposed to be smaller. Not unless they're thinking of it as the replacement to the RX in that segment if the 4th gen gets the long rumored third row. NX is starting to look better and better.
Old 07-17-13, 09:53 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz

MjThind, I've said it before, I hope Lexus doesn't turn the RX into a bus. After all, if it ain't broke... The NX is supposed to be smaller. Not unless they're thinking of it as the replacement to the RX in that segment if the 4th gen gets the long rumored third row. NX is starting to look better and better.
Honestly I think Lexus is craving a part of the GL and Q7 market, just like how Lexus wants a share in the M5/E63/RS6 market with developing a GS-F and a part in the C63 Coupe/M4/RS5 market by developing a RC-F. It is good they are moving in a new direction lets just hope we don't loose the RX 5 seater...
Old 07-17-13, 10:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz

Anita,

1. The NX is 99% a go based on various factors such as trademarking the NX 200t and NX 300h monikers last October/November in Canada, US, and Australia, the announcement of a concept compact crossover for the Tokyo autoshow this November, and finally a mention of its prod release in a subsequent N.A. autoshow in Q1 2014. Based on spy shots, the NX will likely be based on the RAV4 platform with a slightly shorter length of about 175 inches or so (vs 180 RAV4). CT is 170 in. Also, the monikers suggest a long-rumored 4 cyl turbo and the 2.5L Hybrid found in today's Toyota products. These are engines far from being capable in a mid -size crossover. So compact cuv it must be...

2. With the NX being relatively small, this makes room for the new '16 RX to keep its same dimensions or actually shrink an inch or so in length on a similar wheelbase/platform as today's. Then with the 4-in longer (2-in longer wheelbase) '14 Highlander, Lexus can introduce an RX L 7-passenger and slowly phase out the GX IMO to compete in the 50-60K 7-passenger market. LX will stick around for the 80-100K market to compete against the Range Rover, MB GL, etc.

Time will tell
Old 07-17-13, 10:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hydorgen

Toyota has said it'll have a hydrogen car ready in 2015. A SUV could be what's needed to house the additional equipment. Do you suppose ......

Not trying to start any rumors here, only mentioning what Toyota has said on our 'Cars & Rumors' section. Hmm, that's an oxymoron isn't it ?
Old 07-17-13, 11:11 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Seeing I am at the point where the kids are gone, I would welcome a smaller SUV alternative as long as it comfortably fits someone 6'2".
Old 07-17-13, 12:19 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
You forgot to add - in the US. There has been 28747 LXs sold worlwide (2012) which is a very strong number. There has been more than 400K Land Cruiser/Prado produced worldwide in 2012. US is not the center of the automotive world for these models.... Far from it.
Granted. At least I showed where I got my numbers.

What I wanted to do was to keep LX/GX sales separate from Land Cruiser/Prado. Those US sales are not very many for the costs involved in getting a vehicle certified for sale in the US. Can you locate any global GX sales numbers for 2012?

FWIW, I have always been a fan of the body-on-frame vehicles from Toyota. But, I take them for what they are -- trucks. Dual range transmissions and all. Have owned a few in my years. Back in the day if you were traveling around Australia or Africa you more than likely had one of two vehicles -- a Range Rover Defender or Toyota Land Cruiser. If I lived in the mountains or an area of heavy snow instead of down here in FLatland I would probably have a GX or LX in the garage and not an RX. Let us be honest, when things get really nasty the RX is not going to be your choice of vehicle. So, the GX and LX have a place in this world. But do we need both? Especially when Toyota has a nice range of other vehicles which are body-on-frame to choose from, to include but not limited to: FJ, 4Runner, Prado, Land Cruiser, Sequoia... The GX has seating for 6 or 7, but in that configuration it does not have much more room for luggage. There is also a big need to improve on the GX's US MPG numbers of 15/20/17. To me, the GX had always made better sense as an all-terrain 5-seater with room for luggage to help differentiate it from the LX. Now that the RX has grown in size I think the GX is a good candidate to be dropped to make room for a new model.

I agree with MjThind. BMW has the X1, X3 and X5. Audi has the Q3, Q5 and Q7. What does Lexus have which competes in those classes? Do they need to compete in those classes? The NX is long overdue and especially true for the European market which has long coveted small CUV/SUV vehicles. The roads and taxes there demand these. It also acts as a entry level vehicle to the Lexus brand for those looking to purchase a CUV/SUV. The current RX, perhaps even a tab smaller and/or lighter, is in the Goldilocks zone and I do not see it changing all that much. What will be missing is a unibody 7-seater with storage capabilities for the family -- the new minivan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus & a 3 Row Crossover? Possibly a RX350/450hXL?