RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

About to let Enform and Safety Connect expire

Old 07-16-13, 07:55 AM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to let Enform and Safety Connect expire

Hi all,
I just received a notice that my Enform and Safety Connect is about to expire Sept. 1.
For $265 per year, this seems high for what I use. I know its sort of like insurance, which you never use till you need it. They did say there is a package with only Safety Connect for $139. But I really wanted a package with Enform, but they don't have that by itself.

I told the rep that I would have renewed had the price been more reasonable or if there was an Enform package.

In any event, I will let it expire.

Anyone else with thoughts or suggestions on this?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-16-13, 09:47 AM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to let my wife's expire end of this month as well. Just not that useful tech, irrespective of the money. Lexus WAY behind others in that dept
Old 07-16-13, 10:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Steve, I've kept Enform/Safety Connect on my 450h. Years ago I was able to get lifetime Sirius so the savings there helps pay for it. And I use the Lexus credit card to get points It would be nice if Lexus offered an Enform only option. It's something I've used a few times, once to get directions when I received a call that a family member was rushed to the hospital. I was driving in an unfamiliar area at the time. I called Enform and the operator was able to override the directions already programmed into nav in a matter of two minutes. For that reason alone it makes it worth it. Safety Connect has its own advantages. So does AAA. I have that too. All we can do is hope Lexus listens and offers Enform separately in the future.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-16-13 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 06:15 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I use Enform a lot. I find it easier to contact them for directions rather than pull off the road and start searching the POI database. It is also nice to be able to have a conversation with the operator.
Old 07-17-13, 07:02 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have kept Enform with Safety Connect -- and actually prepaid it for 4 years to save $20/year or so... (I could always cancel and get a refund)

In my particular case, I value Safety Connect the most -- especially SOS and Automatic Collission Notification as I ride solo most of the time, sometimes in stretches without a lot of people, and I like the idea of Stolen Vehicle Locator in case it would help track down and convict anyone that would try to steal my possession one day -- I'd be SO happy. I have AAA for other reasons (including no DMV lines and in case I'm riding with someone else and their car breaks down), so inclusion of Roadside Assistance is largely a duplicate service for me -- although many people don't realize Lexus Roadside Assistance does not have the free towing mileage limitations most AAA plans do if you have your Lexus taken to a dealer for repair, and I know I'd use it if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere for that reason.

Enform Destination Services for me is more questionable. I don't call to get directions often, but like Anita, have used it a couple of times in the heat of the moment. I do want and use the ability to send destinations to my car from my Mac before I leave -- I'm a planner-kinda-guy and tend to work that way -- I just wish Lexus used Google Maps for their interface as BMW, MBZ and others do. Lexus' eDestination has lots of promise, but ZERO improvements in more than a year that I've had it, and it has been down and unavailable at least 3 times when I've tried to use it in that time. eDestination functionality is inferior to other luxury brands like MBZ and BMW, e.g. you can't create a route with multiple waypoints and send it to your Lexus like one can via Google Maps and other brands. As was mentioned in another thread on RES+, Lexus has not really taken to heart these sorts of things -- my impression is someone is running a server under their desk somewhere with the eDestination application on it, and it works fine when they are at work M-F 8-5, but other times not so much. Lexus needs this sort of technology to be more robust, bullet-proof, and show ongoing improvements like we're used to with other web-enabled tools to be truly viable. ...but, even with my gripes, I keep Destination Services primarily because I still want that ability to send an address some way to my RX, and because Destination Services is a prerequisite to Safety Connect. Given it's current state and track record, I'd probably drop it otherwise.

Enform Apps are separate and not something I care about in their current form -- as discussed in previous threads.
Old 07-17-13, 09:05 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mines lapsed. A month later she got a 50% offer in the mail.She renewed for $132.50. I have my fingers crossed & hope I get the same offer when mine expires in December.
Old 08-09-14, 08:38 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
I too have kept Enform with Safety Connect -- and actually prepaid it for 4 years to save $20/year or so... (I could always cancel and get a refund)

In my particular case, I value Safety Connect the most -- especially SOS and Automatic Collission Notification as I ride solo most of the time, sometimes in stretches without a lot of people, and I like the idea of Stolen Vehicle Locator in case it would help track down and convict anyone that would try to steal my possession one day -- I'd be SO happy. I have AAA for other reasons (including no DMV lines and in case I'm riding with someone else and their car breaks down), so inclusion of Roadside Assistance is largely a duplicate service for me -- although many people don't realize Lexus Roadside Assistance does not have the free towing mileage limitations most AAA plans do if you have your Lexus taken to a dealer for repair, and I know I'd use it if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere for that reason.

Enform Destination Services for me is more questionable. I don't call to get directions often, but like Anita, have used it a couple of times in the heat of the moment. I do want and use the ability to send destinations to my car from my Mac before I leave -- I'm a planner-kinda-guy and tend to work that way -- I just wish Lexus used Google Maps for their interface as BMW, MBZ and others do. Lexus' eDestination has lots of promise, but ZERO improvements in more than a year that I've had it, and it has been down and unavailable at least 3 times when I've tried to use it in that time. eDestination functionality is inferior to other luxury brands like MBZ and BMW, e.g. you can't create a route with multiple waypoints and send it to your Lexus like one can via Google Maps and other brands. As was mentioned in another thread on RES+, Lexus has not really taken to heart these sorts of things -- my impression is someone is running a server under their desk somewhere with the eDestination application on it, and it works fine when they are at work M-F 8-5, but other times not so much. Lexus needs this sort of technology to be more robust, bullet-proof, and show ongoing improvements like we're used to with other web-enabled tools to be truly viable. ...but, even with my gripes, I keep Destination Services primarily because I still want that ability to send an address some way to my RX, and because Destination Services is a prerequisite to Safety Connect. Given it's current state and track record, I'd probably drop it otherwise.

Enform Apps are separate and not something I care about in their current form -- as discussed in previous threads.
Thank you for the well thought out post. A lot to chew on. Safety for my wife and daughter are #1 and I noticed that little red S.O.S and like the idea of it being available to them if needed. But having used the enform system I find it rather "clunky",old and dated. By now they should have speech to request destination IN the enform and fact is it doesn't recognize either my wife's voice or mine for simply dialing a phone by name. (Speed dial touch feature is quicker) This app reminds me of the early 2000 apps that came out on phones. Not that intuitive. Wonder how the 2014 enform is?
Old 08-09-14, 08:52 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Thank you for the well thought out post. A lot to chew on. Safety for my wife and daughter are #1 and I noticed that little red S.O.S and like the idea of it being available to them if needed. But having used the enform system I find it rather "clunky",old and dated. By now they should have speech to request destination IN the enform and fact is it doesn't recognize either my wife's voice or mine for simply dialing a phone by name. (Speed dial touch feature is quicker) This app reminds me of the early 2000 apps that came out on phones. Not that intuitive. Wonder how the 2014 enform is?
Agree the overall interface is a big clunky. Since I wrote that post over a year ago, Lexus has tweaked a few things as to what is in each app and so forth, so it's worth exploring in more detail -- I can't remember the specifics now as I just don't use them often enough. We'll have to see if the 2014 Enform changes anything... I did find it interesting watching a new Lexus NX video this week that it has voice commands that can be trained by one's voice. THAT will hopefully be a big improvement and catch up to what my MBZ has (and I think in a year, it's only missed what I'm saying twice compared to my RX that I stopped even trying soon after delivery). :-) Hopefully after the NX comes out some of those new enhancements will make their way back into the new RX models as well.
Old 08-09-14, 09:29 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our Enform service will expire in October and we will be renewing. We have never used the Safety Connect but use the Destination Service quite often, the folks have been very helpful.
Old 08-09-14, 09:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BertL
Agree the overall interface is a big clunky. Since I wrote that post over a year ago, Lexus has tweaked a few things as to what is in each app and so forth, so it's worth exploring in more detail -- I can't remember the specifics now as I just don't use them often enough. We'll have to see if the 2014 Enform changes anything... I did find it interesting watching a new Lexus NX video this week that it has voice commands that can be trained by one's voice. THAT will hopefully be a big improvement and catch up to what my MBZ has (and I think in a year, it's only missed what I'm saying twice compared to my RX that I stopped even trying soon after delivery). :-) Hopefully after the NX comes out some of those new enhancements will make their way back into the new RX models as well.
"Trained by ones voice" now THAT's promising. Very good. On the other hand one major failing of this system is the lack of update features much like the ones you find constantly barraging your phone. Essentially they have alienated previous Lexus owners from better upgrades in their cars. One would think you could do this if that is possible on mibile phones. Simply "wrapping" the customer in with new mobile upgrades keep them loyal to the brand. Talk about clunk head software engineer's.
Old 08-09-14, 09:36 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom558
Our Enform service will expire in October and we will be renewing. We have never used the Safety Connect but use the Destination Service quite often, the folks have been very helpful.
I havean EXCELLENT navigator. My wife. Google rocks too.
Old 08-09-14, 10:01 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

RX is wife's vehicle, and she wanted to keep Destination Service. I gladly extended the service for additional 2 years. I like having wife happy :-)
Old 08-09-14, 11:58 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

jw but if you let enform expire will you lose pandora app?
if so then thats messed up...i love using the app but not for 300 a year..
Old 08-09-14, 12:48 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
I havean EXCELLENT navigator. My wife. Google rocks too.
My wife is directionally challenged and does not seem to be able to get Google Maps to work while I am driving. For that reason the live person to figure out where we want to go and get it programmed into the Nav system is a marriage saver.
Old 08-09-14, 02:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom558
My wife is directionally challenged and does not seem to be able to get Google Maps to work while I am driving. For that reason the live person to figure out where we want to go and get it programmed into the Nav system is a marriage saver.
Haha! Been there. She'll say turn left and so I do. Next thing you hear is hear smacking my arm and say " you knew I ment the other way!"...
Me:"Yes dear, my fault".....

Hmm. That's it were getting it. Save my right arm at least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to let Enform and Safety Connect expire