RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 07:21 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

We own a 2013 RX 350, purchased less than a year ago. We are experiencing this rattling noise coming from inside the side panels, its frequency changes depending on road and weather conditions like if road is rough or if its windy. We have taken the vehicle to Lexus Service three times so far for the same issue, they have acknowledged the issue. Last service took almost a month but still no remedy.

What I am interested to find out is if anyone else has experienced something similar? As of last service, Lexus took the entire roof liner down to fix the issue but it came back after one day post service.

Noise is extremely irritating because it occurs next to driver's left ear and is annoying as anything can be. Same goes for right ear for the front passenger.

We have owned Nissan Maxima, BMW and Lexus before and none of the vehicles had this issue.

Please do let us know, thanks.
Old 07-16-13, 07:27 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

post over in the 3rd gen section and you will get some answers.
Old 07-16-13, 08:19 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Not sure what you are suggesting. I thought i posted under

Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Old 07-16-13, 08:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont worry youve posted in the correct place.

As for the rattle, I had a rattle on the passenger side panel. It was noticeable with the music off and only when going over rough roads or bumps. However, I never had to take it to the dealer because it sorted itself out.
Old 07-16-13, 08:55 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rayaans.

Just so I am clear on the issue, the noise or rattle is more like if someone is lightly tapping the window glass with a small nail. I love my RX but this noise issue is giving me a headache while driving as I have to always leave the radio on just to suppress the noise.
Old 07-16-13, 10:50 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have same issue with my 2010, it is So annoying. I just wish I knew what caused it
Old 07-16-13, 12:15 PM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Gribble, did you ever filed for lemon law? I am considering doing that because I don't see myself driving my vehicle with the issue any longer.
Old 07-16-13, 02:25 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2013 RX350 has the same/similar issue.

As you described, it has some nail-tapping-window glass sound from b-pillar or in seat belt assembly area. I took it to Fremont Lexus and they couldn't reproduce the problem. They sad they took out the b-pillar cover and couldn't find anything loose in seat belt area.

The rattle happens when I am driving over rough road and it seems to go away during hot summer day. Like we had few 90F days last few weeks and rattle went away. Now temperature back down to 70F and it comes back. So far, only driver side is having this issue.

I checked couple other thread and tried out both suggestions:
1) Grease up the driver side door rubber stopper.
2) Put felt tape around the inner black plastic window door frame.

Both don't fix the issue.

My RX's 10K service is coming up in a month or two and I will raise the issue again.
Old 07-16-13, 04:55 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by wilchan

As you described, it has some nail-tapping-window glass sound from b-pillar or in seat belt assembly area. I took it to Fremont Lexus and they couldn't reproduce the problem. They sad they took out the b-pillar cover and couldn't find anything loose in seat belt area.

The rattle happens when I am driving over rough road and it seems to go away during hot summer day. Like we had few 90F days last few weeks and rattle went away. Now temperature back down to 70F and it comes back. So far, only driver side is having this issue.

My RX's 10K service is coming up in a month or two and I will raise the issue again.
I have similar issue. I think it is coming from the ceiling around B-pillar area. However I am not able to fix it. Hope someone able to find the root cause and provide a solution.

Thanks
Old 07-16-13, 06:15 PM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onlyFacts
We own a 2013 RX 350, purchased less than a year ago. We are experiencing this rattling noise coming from inside the side panels, its frequency changes depending on road and weather conditions like if road is rough or if its windy. We have taken the vehicle to Lexus Service three times so far for the same issue, they have acknowledged the issue. Last service took almost a month but still no remedy.

What I am interested to find out is if anyone else has experienced something similar? As of last service, Lexus took the entire roof liner down to fix the issue but it came back after one day post service.

Noise is extremely irritating because it occurs next to driver's left ear and is annoying as anything can be. Same goes for right ear for the front passenger.

We have owned Nissan Maxima, BMW and Lexus before and none of the vehicles had this issue.

Please do let us know, thanks.

The second row seat belt buckle may be tapping against the B pillar. Also it could be the strap height adjuster is not locked in place. Sound can travel and appear to originate somewhere else.

Other possibilities
The lower part of the door that tilts open
Sun visor
sunroof shade
Head rest

If they did not find it in the door it is probably something in the cabin.

I had a rattle coming from the dashboard. After two hours their best tech noticed it was the E-Z pass tag vibrating in an aftermarket holder - the sound reflected off the dash.

Charlie
Old 07-16-13, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by wilchan

I believe you are referring this thread, but it's worth a shot as it has helped me and some others, but not everyone. See in particular post by Doney01 on the rubber door stopper.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...side-door.html

Good luck
Old 07-16-13, 08:59 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyFacts
Not sure what you are suggesting. I thought i posted under

Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
It landed in first gen ... 99Rx gave the right suggestion and I moved it over.

Salim
Old 07-16-13, 09:59 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

I had a rattle in my Camry Hybrid. One day I noticed the passenger seat belt buckle was bumping against the plastic on the pillar. Also might try some silicone spray on the rubber door seals and sunroof seal and window seals.

Dawg
Old 07-17-13, 08:17 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

@wilchan: I actually have documentation and an active case number with Lexus corp on the issue. They took the entire roof liner out, replaced some part and put it back together, that did not resolve the issue. I can't take the vehicle now to service till Lexus Corp approves it for the service department to bring it in for the same issue as it has already been three tries.

Also, I originally took the car for only driver side noise but the Lexus engineer reproduced the issue on passenger side also. Noise is certainly not coming from seat belt harness or door assembly. While driving, I have tried to hold the seat harness, window, almost everything in the door and side assembly but nothing seem to causing it. It is definitely coming from the roof, I think.

I would recommend you to take your car back for service on the issue, escalation before you hit 12k miles or 1 year would really help.
Old 07-17-13, 08:29 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It may be due to something expanding. As a previous poster said, it goes away at high temperatures when the object has expanded. It probably shrinks in cold weather and becomes slightly loose and therefore makes a rattle.

Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350