RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350

Old 07-17-13, 08:58 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@rayaans, for us the lexus service was able to reproduce the issue only in higher temperatures. I personally am able to produce it at all temperatures. I think whatever is loose sometimes end up in the right position and won't make noise but on average it does.
Old 07-17-13, 01:18 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks onFacts, do you mind sharing the repair description on the paperwork that your dealer did on the roof liner? I can show my dealer about the same problem and that can help to explain the rattle problem.
Old 07-17-13, 05:09 PM
p0c1
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I'm having the same issue on my 2013 RX here in Sydney,

The noise only happens on a rough road.. But yeah it's annoying though..

It's like there is something loose.. But i couldnt find it..
Old 07-18-13, 05:08 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

@wilchan, I will provide the paperwork details later tonight, stay tuned.
Old 07-18-13, 06:20 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok I might have found something, if you tap on the door panel right around where the door latch is, mine was making a clicking sound, it would vibrate against the metal. I took of the door panel and put felt on the metal part of the door where the door panel rests against the metal part of the door and put felt on the backside of the door panel. I also put a round felt piece right in line where the rubber door stopper touches the inside metal door. So far the noise has been gone for two days. I am convinced it is related to the door panel and not the window seals. I hope this helps!
Old 07-18-13, 08:59 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Possible to post some picture to aid where you put the felt tapes?

Originally Posted by Gribble
ok I might have found something, if you tap on the door panel right around where the door latch is, mine was making a clicking sound, it would vibrate against the metal. I took of the door panel and put felt on the metal part of the door where the door panel rests against the metal part of the door and put felt on the backside of the door panel. I also put a round felt piece right in line where the rubber door stopper touches the inside metal door. So far the noise has been gone for two days. I am convinced it is related to the door panel and not the window seals. I hope this helps!
Old 07-18-13, 09:16 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

yes, I will try after work
Old 07-18-13, 07:54 PM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

Here is the third service [took about 30 days] note...

"8### CONFIRMED CONDITION... TICKING/CREAKING NOISE HEARD FROM BOTH SIDE B-PILLAR AREA, REMOVED HEAD LINER, RE-TEST, NOISE HEARD FROM BOTH SIDE MOONROOF TRACK CENTER BRACKET AREA, REMOVED MOONROOF TRACK ASSY., RE-TEST, NOISE STILL HEARD FROM BOTH SIDE ROOF AND B-PILLAR SEAMS WHEN THE BODY FLEXES.... SEPARATED LEFT SIDE SEAM, RE-TEST, NO NOISE HEARD FROM BOTH SIDE, RE-INSTALLED MOONROOF TRACK ASSY., RE-TEST, STILL OK, RE-INSTALLED REMAINING PARTS, RE-TEST, OK... PARKED THE VEHICLE OUTSIDE FOR TWO DAYS TO BE PICKED UP, TEST DROVE TO MAKE SURE THE NOISE IS GONE... NOISE CAME BACK FROM THE SAME AREA, POSSIBLE DUE TO CLIMATE CHANGE (OVER 90 DEGREES) OPENED TAS CASE# TA131######, REMOVED HEAD LINER, RE-TEST, CONFIRMED NOISE FROM BOTH SIDE B-PILLAR AREA, SEPARATED BOTH SIDE B-PILLAR SEAMS ON OTHER LOCATIONS AND TOP OF BOTH SIDE FRONT DOOR OPENING SEAMS, RE-TEST, NO NOISE HEARD, PARKED THE VEHICLE OUTSIDE FOR TWO DAYS, RE-TEST, OK, RE-INSTALLED HEAD LINER AND REMAINING PARTS, RE-TEST, STILL OK, ONCE AGAIN PARKED THE VEHICLE OUTSIDE A DAY, RE-TEST, STILL NO NOISE HEARD BUT UNABLE TO TEST FOR HIGHER CLIMATE(OVER 90 DEGREES)... OFP# 6120# - #####
Important to note: The weather during the week we picked up the vehicle averaged around 90 degrees. On our way back, we were able to reproduce the noise Lexus took one full month to fix and never came close to fixing it. They simply returned it without a concrete fix.

Last edited by onlyFacts; 07-18-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 08:11 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by onlyFacts
Holy.... They actually spent so much time to fix this for you. They did offer you a loaner right?
Pretty nice dealership.
Old 07-19-13, 09:26 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

I really never cared about the loaner, it was nice to have one but still a month long service was not a very pleasant experience with Lexus. We may never buy from Lexus again considering their slowness in fixing the issue once and for all.
Old 07-20-13, 09:21 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info.

Look like this is a common problem. This reviewer on Edumnds has the same/similar issue.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/...wId=1747906738

Important to note: The weather during the week we picked up the vehicle averaged around 90 degrees. On our way back, we were able to reproduce the noise Lexus took one full month to fix and never came close to fixing it. They simply returned it without a concrete fix.
Old 07-22-13, 06:22 AM
onlyFacts
Driver School Candidate

On my recent trip, instead of concentrating on side seat belt assembly area, I focused on the moon roof / roof handle area above the driver side door. Here is what I found out [still want someone else to confirm], when I was hearing the noise while driving, I pressed the area around the roof handle above door and noise stopped [miracle]. It came back soon but now I think it is something in the roof and not the sides. Need to keep on trying to figure this one out.

Last edited by onlyFacts; 07-22-13 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 07:52 AM
seanlin
Rookie

On my recent trip, instead of concentrating on side seat belt assembly area, I focused on the moon roof / roof handle area above the driver side door. Here is what I found out [still want someone else to confirm], when I was hearing the noise while driving, I pressed the area around the roof handle above door and noise stopped [miracle]. It came back soon but now I think it is something in the roof and not the sides. Need to keep on trying to figure this one out.
Yeah, I think it is coming from roof around B pillar area,
Old 07-22-13, 08:10 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

my fix did not work, noise is back.

onlyfacts,
mine make same noise above "oh *****" handle. It sounds like a popping sound when hitting certain bumps in the road. I can't believe there is not a TSB for these problems. I am so sick of hearing this clicking and creeking noise everyday I drive.
Old 07-22-13, 08:12 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up a 2011 450h on Friday and took a road trip up to Boston this past Sat. In hour 3 of the trip while the temp was hovering at 97 or so and the A/C was on, I started to hear 'tapping' noises. Turned the radio down and sure enough, it sounded like it was coming from the passenger door area. However, my wife was insistent that it was coming from behind the glove compartment.

It only lasted about two minutes and didn't come back within the last hour or the trip (when it got even warmer) nor did it duplicate itself during ride back when it was considerably cooler. Will keep an ear out for it to see if and when it comes back and under what conditions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabin rattling noise from side panels in my 2013 RX 350