RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Differences between US and Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 08:55 AM
DerekK912
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between US and Canada

Does anyone know the differences between US models and Canadian models for the 3rd gen RX 350?

I reside in Canada but I am looking at getting a US model 2012 RX 350 (for whatever reason there are quite a few of these available at Canadian dealerships and they are usually cheaper than the Canadian models).

From what I have been able to determine (for 2012 models):

-Outside temperature and climate controls are in F in US models but C in Canadian models (and there is no way to change it through the menus)
-Odometer is in miles in US models but km in Canadian models (and there is no way to change it through the menus)
-The speedometer shows the local units in a larger size
-Nav and display default to local units, but these can be changed through the menus
-The Canadian models appear to have to Tow Prep package standard (transmission cooler, heavy duty starter, heavy duty alternator)
-Headlamp washers are standard in Canadian models, and optionally available in the Luxury package in US models
-Roof rails are standard in US models, and optionally available in the Premium 1 package in Canadian models

Does anyone know of any other differences?
Old 07-15-13, 02:19 PM
cynalan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not entirely sure its still an issue, but when I bought my 2010 RX 350 - US models did not have day time running lights.
Old 07-15-13, 04:21 PM
euroja153
Driver

Im not entirely sure about this, but when I bought mine in 2009, I was told Canadian cars have heated side mirrors and a heating element under the front wipers, US cars do not.

No loan car during servicing.

The main difference: $10,000

Last edited by euroja153; 07-15-13 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 11:38 AM
DerekK912
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by euroja153
Im not entirely sure about this, but when I bought mine in 2009, I was told Canadian cars have heated side mirrors and a heating element under the front wipers, US cars do not.

No loan car during servicing.

The main difference: $10,000
For the loaner, did they specifically tell you that because it was a US model? Was this in the GTA?

As for the mirrors, in the 2012 model the Canadian has "heated mirrors" while the US model has "mirrors with defoggers", which I am assuming is the same thing? For 2013, these are standard in Canada, but optional in the US (available in the Premium and Luxury packages).

I could not find anything about the heated wipers for 2012, but for 2013 the Canadian model has a "Windshield Wiper De-Icer". I could not find anything for the 2013 US model.

Daytime Running Lights are standard on both Canadian and US models for both 2012 and 2013.

US models are definitely cheaper.
Old 07-16-13, 06:15 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been told that if you purchase a US model in Canada and take it to a Canadian Lexus dealer for warranty service, that you can expect to pay the warranty bill upfront and you will have to submit it to Lexus USA for payment. The packages vary a great deal in the USA and some options are offered as stand alone options on all models--such as parking sensors where Lexus Canada has their head in the sand and only offers those on the Ultra Prems. If you are considering a 2013, I would highly recomment the Blind Sport Monitor which is available on 2 US packages and again only on the Ultra here. The Mark Levinson sound system is a rare beast in the USA, where it is standard in the F-Sport and both of the Ultras. If you are not sure of the vehicle option content, get the VIN and call Lexus USA and they will go through it with you. I came very close to buying a 2012 last July - so I did this on a couple of RX's. Just my 2 cents --can I say that now we no longer use pennies? Hope this helps.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
and Port Charlotte, Fl
Old 07-16-13, 07:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

A major functional difference is the availability of Lexus Enform connectivity and certain functionality only in the US.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...aq-2010-2012_4
Old 07-18-13, 10:31 AM
DerekK912
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dentate
I have been told that if you purchase a US model in Canada and take it to a Canadian Lexus dealer for warranty service, that you can expect to pay the warranty bill upfront and you will have to submit it to Lexus USA for payment. The packages vary a great deal in the USA and some options are offered as stand alone options on all models--such as parking sensors where Lexus Canada has their head in the sand and only offers those on the Ultra Prems. If you are considering a 2013, I would highly recomment the Blind Sport Monitor which is available on 2 US packages and again only on the Ultra here. The Mark Levinson sound system is a rare beast in the USA, where it is standard in the F-Sport and both of the Ultras. If you are not sure of the vehicle option content, get the VIN and call Lexus USA and they will go through it with you. I came very close to buying a 2012 last July - so I did this on a couple of RX's. Just my 2 cents --can I say that now we no longer use pennies? Hope this helps.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
and Port Charlotte, Fl
This is the response I received from Lexus Canada about warranty support and roadside assistance for a US model Lexus:

Please be advised that the manufacturer's warranty (regardless of whether it is a US Lexus vehicle or a Canadian Lexus vehicle) is honoured in continental USA and Canada. However, other products sold at the point of sale of the vehicle from the dealership, such as Extra Care Protection (ECP), maintenance plans, etc., are not honoured by Lexus Canada.

We would like to inform you that you may have U.S. campaigns (recalls) completed at dealerships in Canada by providing the campaign letter to the Lexus dealership.

For roadside assistance, I was told to contact Roadside Assistance in the US, and they will forward the request to Roadside Assistance in Canada.
Old 07-19-13, 07:12 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please be advised that the manufacturer's warranty (regardless of whether it is a US Lexus vehicle or a Canadian Lexus vehicle) is honoured in continental USA and Canada. However, other products sold at the point of sale of the vehicle from the dealership, such as Extra Care Protection (ECP), maintenance plans, etc., are not honoured by Lexus Canada.

We would like to inform you that you may have U.S. campaigns (recalls) completed at dealerships in Canada by providing the campaign letter to the Lexus dealership.

That's a huge statement vs. other popular brands.
Before buying our RX last year we went looking for another new Accord as we've been driving them close to 30 years.
3.5 hr. drive away I could get a fully loaded V-6 sedan for $10-$12 K less. Dealer is in Bangor Maine & the US-Cdn. dollars are at about par. This number reflects costs after duties & taxes paid at the US border.
Talked to Honda Canada about one we liked with blue paint & gray interior. This colour was not available in Canada.
Buy it in the US & it's all mine once I cross the border.
Asked if I could get the local dealer to bring it in for me..........?
Sure can but it's all mine once it crosses the border.