RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

fluid leak in new rx 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 07:16 AM
rhirsch42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fluid leak in new rx 350 AWD

When i took my 1 one week old RX 350 car to the dealer for nav instruction yesterday they discovered a fluid leak--they did not know the source and told me they needed to add dye to various fluid sources to determine the source of the leak..they said i should not drive the car and gave me a loaner.

The dealer stated they had never seen this problem with a 1 week old car!

My response was that they needed to replace the car, the dealer, of course said they could not do
this--i did not accept this answer and will continue to push for another car.

Has anyone had a similar experience and or suggestions regarding where i go from here
to resolve this problem?

Who should I contact and what should be my best approach..

I am a long time Lexus owner and have been a service customer at this dealer for the last 8 years with my traded in 2006 RX 330, which i never had a problem.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice
Old 07-04-13, 07:35 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they can fix it theres a 4 year warranty. They won't replace the car. If you want a new car, hope that they will try to fix it 4 times and can't. Than maybe you have a lemon.
Old 07-04-13, 07:40 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ron, Welcome to the forum, it's a good place to talk to like owners about your car. Based on the information you gave, the dealer is acting in a pro-active way in your best interest. As he couldn't tell right off where it was coming from he wanted to keep it and fix it. Personally I'd pat him on the back and say "Thank you". It's not a sign you need to have Lexus take back the car. It comes with a warranty to take care of such incidents which are rare but doesn't replace the car if something 'does' go bump in the night. There are lots of parts and systems and it 'can' happen.

I've just ordered the new C7 Corvette on a 1st year production of the 7th totally new generation. None have been delivered yet. I fully expect the opportunity to use the warranty.
Originally Posted by rhirsch42
When i took my 1 one week old RX 350 car to the dealer for nav instruction yesterday they discovered a fluid leak--they did not know the source and told me they needed to add dye to various fluid sources to determine the source of the leak..they said i should not drive the car and gave me a loaner.

The dealer stated they had never seen this problem with a 1 week old car!

My response was that they needed to replace the car, the dealer, of course said they could not do
this--i did not accept this answer and will continue to push for another car.

Has anyone had a similar experience and or suggestions regarding where i go from here
to resolve this problem?

Who should I contact and what should be my best approach..

I am a long time Lexus owner and have been a service customer at this dealer for the last 8 years with my traded in 2006 RX 330, which i never had a problem.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice
Old 07-04-13, 11:19 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I think it's going to be very tough to get a replacement vehicle. I've heard of a few people with various out-the-door issues push for a new vehicle, a vast majority of the time unsuccessfully. The general rule is if the dealer can fix the problem properly in a reasonable amount of time that is exactly what they are going to do. If they can't, that's when you go after them! Now, if you offer to upgrade to an LS600h, well, maybe then...

I understand why many people feel this way, a brand new car is now seemingly "sullied" because a mechanic had to touch it. But really it isn't. Repairs to brand new vehicles are probably more common than most people realize. Whether at the dealership, but even at the factory many vehicles require repairs after they come off the assembly line to correct defects.

I also understand why there are no replacements for issues that can be properly repaired. It would be a nightmare to manage. Where do you draw the line, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month? What happens if you have a 1 month replacement and someone has an engine sensor fail after 32 days and wants a new vehicle (and if you say ok, what about 33 days, or 34, or 134?). What types of problems do you cover, all of them? Does the dealer replace a 3 week old Lexus because some lady went berserk over a faulty power window switch? If not all problems, then how do you define the list of problems without pissing off the people with a problem not on the list. Who eats the thousands of $ is now costs to sell these returned vehicle as used? What do these additional used vehicles do to the resell value of existing owners' vehicles, push it down even further?
Old 07-04-13, 11:28 AM
rhirsch42
Driver School Candidate

andy,

thanks for your comments.

ron
Old 07-04-13, 03:41 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are adding a dye to locate the leak, it sounds like it is leaking radiator fluid. This is no big deal and the dealer should be able to find the problem. I don't see the dealer replacing our car with another as the problem is not that serious. Good luck.
Old 07-04-13, 04:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ron, I'm sorry you're having problems with your RX. I concur with the group as far as letting the dealer take care of the problem. They're taking it seriously enough to investigate. Not all will do that. I remember when I had to bring in my 7-month old Explorer for half a dozen problems. I mentioned to the service advisor I probably had a coolant leak. The reservoir bottle went empty in less than a month but I didn't see or smell anything. His response verbatim, that reservoir bottle under the hood doesn't mean anything. I spent the next 15 minutes arguing with him until he finally relented. The verdict, a defective gasket was causing, surprise surprise, a coolant leak. I could have blown the engine. I hope the dealer is able to find the source of the leak and fix it so your RX is better than new.

Oh, Andy it's funny you mention a faulty window switch. I had that exact problem when I took delivery on the 330. The driver side rear window wouldn't open. Of course I only discovered it after I drove the RX home. I was annoyed but I didn't go ballistic. A few days later I went back to the dealer and had the switch replaced. No problems after that.
Old 07-04-13, 04:30 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Sorry for the problem. I hope it will be all taken care and car will be awesome again.

Because of things like this happens when you are bad luck, lease to buy seems a good options.
Old 07-05-13, 04:55 AM
rhirsch42
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your comments Anitia.

Ron
Old 07-05-13, 07:55 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Open up your Owner's Folio in your glovebox and you'll find a booklet concerning the Lemon Law that covers your vehicle in your state. You have to give the dealer a chance to fix the vehicle and after he has tried (usually 3 times within a set period of time) you can apply for a ruling via the Lemon Law. You will NOT get a new vehicle now because there is a leak. Unless you have a very sympathetic dealer I wouldn't waste effort trying to score a new vehicle at this point, it's just not going to happen..
Old 07-07-13, 03:24 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first see where the leak is coming from. You might find out it is just a simple gasket that is leaking and a new one will take care of the problem. I will bet your dealer will give you a loaner car (maybe even a new RX 350 like yours), and in a day or so you will be back on the road as good as new.
Old 07-07-13, 04:43 PM
rhirsch42
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the post..

it was a gasket, replaced and hope no other surprises
Old 07-07-13, 06:51 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's great news and likely there won't be any other issues. Can you elaborate a bit more as in gasket to ..... ?
Thanks
Originally Posted by rhirsch42
thanks for the post..

it was a gasket, replaced and hope no other surprises