RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blown rear shocks and trailing arm bushings

Old 11-24-13, 08:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

On my RX the dealer replaced the rear shocks as one was leaking, under warranty i was at 49,9XX miles when they did.
Old 06-02-14, 06:46 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Rear Shocks

Our 2011 RX350's rear shocks were replaced by the dealer at 32,196 miles during the 161 point CPO certification. Just as a point of information.
Ray A.
Old 06-02-14, 07:18 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Has anyone ever had to replace those on their 3rd gen?
Shocks are one thing, relatively easy job with a few basic tools.

Control arm bushings..........another animal.
Bushings are likely pressed in & will require removal of the arm.
The arm takes the physical weight of the vehicle & compresses the coil spring.
If you haven't done this before I recommend against it.
The energy stored in the compressed spring is staggering.
One wrong turn at the wrong time & the coil can become unseated & come out from under the car like a missile.More than a few fingers have been lost when the coil decides it's time. Good friend of mine lost two fingers this way.
Get it to the dealer or an experienced shop.
Old 06-02-14, 07:24 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
Our 2011 RX350's rear shocks were replaced by the dealer at 32,196 miles during the 161 point CPO certification. Just as a point of information.
Ray A.
intresting. our 2010 rx350 had its rear shocks replaced as well at approximately 33k during its CPO inspection before we took delivery.
Old 06-02-14, 07:26 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Yes, they made a revision to the trailing arm. I don't have the paperwork in front of me here, but let the dealership know that Lexus made a revision to it. Mine squeeks going over speed bumps on the downstroke. Lexus won't pay for an alignment after, so make sure you get it done. My car is tracking funny after having it changed even though the guy said nothing will happen.
Can you post a picture of the paperwork for the trailing arms?
Old 09-15-14, 03:27 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Just finished replacing both rear shocks on my wifes RX.
Dealer mentioned last visit one was leaking & warranty would cover it. I was thinking I would pay them to change the second while they had the car.
Long story short my wife is the primary driver, I rarely use it. To save her a trip out to the dealer & leave it for the day, I bought both shocks at Sewell for $70.50.
Under 60 minutes to set up the rear of the car on stands, remove wheels, replace shocks, replace wheels & torque everything correctly along the way. This includes sweeping the garage floor & a 5 minute spin down the road & back.
Old 09-15-14, 05:07 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Just finished replacing both rear shocks on my wifes RX.
Dealer mentioned last visit one was leaking & warranty would cover it. I was thinking I would pay them to change the second while they had the car.
Long story short my wife is the primary driver, I rarely use it. To save her a trip out to the dealer & leave it for the day, I bought both shocks at Sewell for $70.50.
Under 60 minutes to set up the rear of the car on stands, remove wheels, replace shocks, replace wheels & torque everything correctly along the way. This includes sweeping the garage floor & a 5 minute spin down the road & back.
Steve,
I've never heard of changing ONE shock because it's leaking. It would follow that the other one would be leaking soon, and replacing both would produce a matching pair.
Nice job fixing it yourself for $70 and one hour's time.
Old 09-15-14, 05:55 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raylor4
I've never heard of changing ONE shock because it's leaking. It would follow that the other one would be leaking soon, and replacing both would produce a matching pair.
I questioned the dealer on that. Reply was they needed the old one to show/send the warranty underwriters yada yada....eh?

Had I been thinking of it I could have taken some pics & posted a DIY. Super simple job with a few basic tools any DIY person would have.
I used only the keyed lug-nut wrench adaptor from the car.
Floor jack & two jack stands.
3/8 drive & 21mm deep socket to get the wheels off.
3/8 drive torque wrench for the shock bolts 17mm & the road wheels 21mm.
1/2" drive X long bar with a 17mm deep socket for the shock bolts.
17mm combination wrench for the nut on the lower mounting bolt.

Sprayed down the suspension components with Rust-Check while the wheels were off. The black paint is starting to scale off on a few areas.
Old 09-15-14, 08:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Both of my shocks were replaced bc of leaking in May. The squeaking over bumps coming from the rear was finally determined to be coming from the trailing arms. When I picked up my car, they only replaced one side but the noise was mostly gone. The right side still made a little bit of noise but I was just happy that it wasn't that bad. 5 months later and its starting to make more noise. Warranty ends in November so I will have to get it done at my next oil change
Old 09-15-14, 08:25 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig

Sprayed down the suspension components with Rust-Check while the wheels were off. The black paint is starting to scale off on a few areas.
What is this rustcheck?the only reference (googled) is to a Canadian company. Is it like rubberized undercoating?
Old 09-16-14, 07:02 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Rust-Check is an oil based product available in an aerosol spray. Cleans up easily with soap/water. Non-conductor. Creeps into crevices over time, lubricates parts, prevents corrosion & stops existing corrosion.
Local dealer will treat the entire car.

I used to run a couple of Civics for two of my sons while they were in university. Kept them very safe & dependable. Every so often I'd need a part ( "Honest Dad, I don't know how that happened" ) & would go direct to the parts cars with the Rust-Check stickers on the windows.
Absolutely no rust, everything would come apart easily with small hand tools.
Old 09-16-14, 12:35 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

It appears Rust Check is only available in Canada. I think similar US products are CorrosionX, Liquifix or fluid Film

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html
https://liquifix.com/rust-removal-an...vention-spray/
http://www.fluid-film.com/products/

I have only used Fluid Film and as a lubricant where it is very tenacious, but being lanolin based, smells a bit like wet wool.
Old 09-16-14, 04:44 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Rust-Check has the consistency of a vegetable oil. They've added a slight cherry aroma to it.

Severe salt-belt locally & you can easily tell which cars have been treated vs. those without it.
Today's new cars "seem" to last longer, mid 90's vehicles virtually rusted away under the paint.
Old 09-18-14, 11:33 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rears on my 2010 RX350 were replaced last month at 50k miles. I'm the original owner and was quite surprised when they already started leaking at such low miles. Didn't know there was a TSB on it though, so paid out of pocket for it.

No other problems with the car other than this.
Old 09-19-14, 11:15 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never knowingly drive around on bad leaking shocks. Dealer should change them NOW.

I am going to check my shocks! I am going to be near the dealer this weekend for a business conference. But alas, I will be too busy with that to be able to swing by the dealer. Maybe I will have them checked first by a nearby Toyota dealer.

Great forum. Many really great people here and excellent information too. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown rear shocks and trailing arm bushings