RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

So my take on the '13 RX350(3.5RX) vs. '10 RX350(3RX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 11:57 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So my take on the '13 RX350(3.5RX) vs. '10 RX350(3RX)

So I went in for a oil change on Tuesday morning(hit 25K!!!) and I requested a loaner when I made the appointment, thought they were going to give me a '13 ES350 or CT200h, but to my surprise service dude said they had a RX for me waiting for me in the back saved since i requested a loaner.

It was a '13 RX350 Nebula Grey Pearl w/ black leather and Birds Eye Maple trim.(Pics will be attached) First impression it looks slick! I may the oddball I actually the look of the non F-Sport they gave me better than the F-Sport. It had the PCS/Radar Cruise and then following options...
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mctve1.png

So the only thing I didn't have is the PCS/Radar Cruise and Blind Spot Monitoring but I have the Mark Levinson premium audio system.

The interior makes use of the same materials in the 3RX and in Lexus fashion quality, fit and fit finish is superb. There is a mild redesign of the interior which consist of changed steering wheel and getting rid of the media buttons and just making it a "Media" and "Radio" button only. They also made the center console glove box cover shorter so the heated/cooled seat function are exposed. Media interface is excellent but I would still prefer the 1 generation mouse. I love that all the radio presets are all mashed up and I love how I can be listening to preset 2 lets say it's a FM station and them preset 3 could be XM and it'll switch right over. I don't like that they got rid of the auxiliary and disc buttons. BT Audio Streaming was mediocre w/iPhone 5(same for XM), in my '10 sound quality is pretty damn close to CD audio quality for both BT and XM. I don't know if it has to do with mine having the ML and the loaner having the Premium 12 Speaker Audio. There is a little less wind disturbance when you're going over 75MPH. I love the thicker steering wheel, it felt better to hold. Everything after that is same as the 3RX.

Performance, is almost the same except for a couple of things. The steering wheel has a "tighter" feel to it and more precise. Body roll has been reduced further, I would like to see more reduction but it something I can live with. Surprisingly the throttle wasn't as responsive as the 3RX and felt slightly more sluggish too. I think it has to do with the reduced octane requirement. The 3RX is more sensitive to throttle input versus the 3.5RX which was not as much, it take a little bit of time to recognize that input has been given. From a fuel efficiency stand point it is good idea but I personally don' t like it.

I think it looks pretty sharp! Changes are pretty apparent headlight, taillights, and grill.
Thanks for Reading
-MjThind
Pics...
http://i41.tinypic.com/zpqbr.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2ups47o.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m47ic4.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/w21xtx.jpg

Last edited by MjThind; 06-29-13 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake...
Old 06-30-13, 04:17 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

173+ views and no one has any thing to add/say?

Last edited by MjThind; 06-30-13 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-30-13, 04:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That's because 168 of those views were by non CL members, LOL! I appreciate the time you took to describe the differences. I've only driven the F-Sport so I can't make a direct comparison other than to say I like remote touch on my '10 better. Your review will come in handy for anyone looking to make the switch or trying to decide whether to go with '10-'12 RX or the '13. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-13, 05:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
That's because 168 of those views were by non CL members, LOL!
Or, search engines such as Google skimming the site.
Old 06-30-13, 08:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Love the look of the refresh; love the grill treatment and the lower air dam. The RX always had a kind of snout sticking out if you looked at it from the side profile but this refresh (and especially on the F sport) takes care of that issue. I have yet to try out the new remote touch where it is just a flat mouse pad but I dont think I am going to like it. What I probably will like is the new nav graphics
Old 07-01-13, 01:10 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
That's because 168 of those views were by non CL members, LOL! I appreciate the time you took to describe the differences. I've only driven the F-Sport so I can't make a direct comparison other than to say I like remote touch on my '10 better. Your review will come in handy for anyone looking to make the switch or trying to decide whether to go with '10-'12 RX or the '13. Thanks again.
Thanks man! It like cared so much, it was just a shock that nobody replied...
Originally Posted by RXSF
Love the look of the refresh; love the grill treatment and the lower air dam. The RX always had a kind of snout sticking out if you looked at it from the side profile but this refresh (and especially on the F sport) takes care of that issue. I have yet to try out the new remote touch where it is just a flat mouse pad but I dont think I am going to like it. What I probably will like is the new nav graphics
I agree! Trust me though the 1 gen mouse is better since it is easier to control. On the 2 gen mouse even if the feedback is on max you still over shoot all the tme.
Old 07-01-13, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

To me on the old remote touch I can never get used to hitting the enter button on the side vs just pushing the mouse pad down, which is the natural way of making a selection, so I much prefer the new RTC...
Old 07-01-13, 09:36 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
To me on the old remote touch I can never get used to hitting the enter button on the side vs just pushing the mouse pad down, which is the natural way of making a selection, so I much prefer the new RTC...
Isn't that because this is your GS is your first experience with the RTC?
Old 07-01-13, 09:53 PM
RXSF

since the old remote touch pad was on a rolling ball, it was easy to tell where you were on the screen based on the curvature of where the pad was. However, I agree the new RT is much more elegant looking.
Old 07-02-13, 02:01 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I might be bias, but I prefer the first gen enter button on the side. I have driven the 13 for a week, hate the enter by pressing down feature
Old 07-02-13, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah its all what you're used to, but even when I had driven the Lexus vehicles with the RTC before I had the GS my instinct was always to push down on the controller button because of many years of using a computer mouse. To me thats just the natural way to select using that type of controller. I assume thats why they altered it...
Old 07-02-13, 01:45 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah its all what you're used to, but even when I had driven the Lexus vehicles with the RTC before I had the GS my instinct was always to push down on the controller button because of many years of using a computer mouse. To me thats just the natural way to select using that type of controller. I assume thats why they altered it...
I am not an apple user, I use my finger to click a mouse, not my entire hand. It's just personal preference.
Old 07-02-13, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But you operate the RTC with your finger, not your entire hand...a mouse is a mouse whether its a mac or not.

Its personal preference but obviously the complaints were there to prompt them to change the interface.
Old 07-02-13, 03:10 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cossie1600
I am not an apple user, I use my finger to click a mouse, not my entire hand. It's just personal preference.
I use a apple at home and pc at the office. I use my finger to click its my natural tendency, like SW13GS. Do you use it mouse with your whole hand? Just wondering...

But you operate the RTC with your finger, not your entire hand...a mouse is a mouse whether its a mac or not.

Its personal preference but obviously the complaints were there to prompt them to change the interface.
You have a point! Honestly it is all personal preference whether you like the 1gen or 2gen mouse, interface wise I love 2 gen more. I feel that Lexsu should give you the option to change it out with the 1gen mouse if you want to other than that, the 2nd gen should be standard.
Old 07-02-13, 05:13 PM
RXSF

The problem is that the new RTC setup implies that you have your middle three fingers set on the mouse pad, and you have to push down with the three fingers to enter a selection. However, most people do not have too much control over those three fingers, if that makes sense, so you are constantly overshooting the button you want to push.

You can still get computer mouses with buttons where you thumb go just like the old RTC.

Last edited by RXSF; 07-02-13 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: So my take on the '13 RX350(3.5RX) vs. '10 RX350(3RX)