RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is anyone bored of their RX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 08:28 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

". . .very hit or miss." That's always the case. Not every Rover is terrible. The data gathered over a long period, however, indicates that more of them are filled with problems than any other car, so your odds of getting an unreliable vehicle are higher with a RR than with the purchase of just about anything else. At the other end of the data table are the cars that are historically low on reported problems, and these usually tend to be more expensive, so look, as always, for that sweet spot on the bell curve and that's where your car buying dollar goes furthest. (Hint: it's not at the Range Rover store; another hint (no extra charge): Toyota and Honda have a lot of happy and repeat owners.)
OR: buying a Range Rover is like going to see "Howard the Duck" - maybe you will be one of the few who like it, but the odds are against it. The advantage to seeing a bad movie, even "Battlefield Earth," over buying a bad car is that you are only out $10.00 or so. Thank God that Sharknado was free.
Old 07-13-13, 09:39 AM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Sharknado, Ed Wood's Plan 9 from Outer Space has moved up a notch.
Old 07-13-13, 10:07 AM
tfischer

Yep. It's right up there with "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes," but nothing gets worse than "Birdemic," generally considered to be the single worst movie ever made. So bad I got it from Netflix to see how bad movies can get, and all the talk is true. You have got to see that one just so you know where the data points start.
Old 07-13-13, 11:53 AM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
Yep. It's right up there with "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes," but nothing gets worse than "Birdemic," generally considered to be the single worst movie ever made. So bad I got it from Netflix to see how bad movies can get, and all the talk is true. You have got to see that one just so you know where the data points start.
These SyFy movies should be radio broadcasts - like War of the Worlds. Our imagination is far better than a salaried director with no budget.

" No sharks were injured in the making of this film - but - some actors may have permanently affected their careers."
Old 07-20-13, 09:43 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
They make a great second vehicle. Of course, your first vehicle would need to be a tow truck.
LMAO!!! WOW!!! I didn't realize that Range Rovers were that bad. This is good to know. If you don't mind me asking, which sites do you trust when it comes to research on vehicles or is it a combination of research and people you've known had the vehicle?
Old 07-20-13, 11:44 AM
tfischer

Forming an opinion on the overall reliability of a vehicle from "people you've known [who've] had the vehicle" is not the path to reliable information. It's what we call generalizing from insufficient data, which we learned not to do in high school chemistry, physics, etc. The reports published by J.D. Powers (http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm) are generally considered excellent indicators of reliability, customer satisfaction and quality of construction. Consumer Reports does auto surveys, and is mentioned in news reports often, but they gather data not from the public at large or from a scientifically selected sample, but from their subscribers, and many observers consider the results less accurate for that reason. (There are other significant differences between these two surveys; see generally: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...-so-different/).
Of course, you may want to forgo reliability in favor of image, in which case a Lambo might be the car for you.
Old 07-20-13, 02:17 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
Forming an opinion on the overall reliability of a vehicle from "people you've known [who've] had the vehicle" is not the path to reliable information. It's what we call generalizing from insufficient data, which we learned not to do in high school chemistry, physics, etc. The reports published by J.D. Powers (http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm) are generally considered excellent indicators of reliability, customer satisfaction and quality of construction. Consumer Reports does auto surveys, and is mentioned in news reports often, but they gather data not from the public at large or from a scientifically selected sample, but from their subscribers, and many observers consider the results less accurate for that reason. (There are other significant differences between these two surveys; see generally: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...-so-different/).
Of course, you may want to forgo reliability in favor of image, in which case a Lambo might be the car for you.
BUT>...the Bottom line after reading all that,,,Range Rovers ARE unreliable, but getting better with the newer ones!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-13, 06:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
LMAO!!! WOW!!! I didn't realize that Range Rovers were that bad. This is good to know. If you don't mind me asking, which sites do you trust when it comes to research on vehicles or is it a combination of research and people you've known had the vehicle?
I have been around for a long time so a good deal of this is just a long tradition of poking fun at British automotive products and especially those who used Lucas Electrics for various subsystems.
Old 07-20-13, 06:55 PM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I have been around for a long time so a good deal of this is just a long tradition of poking fun at British automotive products and especially those who used Lucas Electrics for various subsystems.
Yup. Hence the old joke, Why do the British drink warm beer? Because their refrigerators used Lucas wiring!

Having said that, there is a reason why Jag, Aston Martin, Range Rover, etc. have been around so long. They are great vehicles, just for different reasons than a Toyota (Lexus).
Old 07-20-13, 07:49 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Please don't forget MG; they made some of the worst...famous for headlights going dead as you drove down the road, or NO BRAKES all of a suddenll
A friend had a MG-C, meaning the 6 cyoinder engine in that piece of crap; it was terrible..]
Yup, Sir Lucas, Prince of darkness was the terminology......
Old 07-20-13, 08:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by velopod
Having said that, there is a reason why Jag, Aston Martin, Range Rover, etc. have been around so long. They are great vehicles, just for different reasons than a Toyota (Lexus).
They CAN be good vehicles. However, it is not only the vehicles which let down their owners. The dealership networks for those manufacturers and the policies of those same companies also let the owners down time-after-time. It is bad enough when your vehicle breaks down, but when you are forced to wait for weeks waiting on replacement parts with no loaner vehicle or other such inconveniences it wears on one's patience. Top that with the arrogance of some of the dealerships and it is enough to doom many a brand.

I do not expect my Lexus to be perfect -- without problems and/or recalls. However, I do expect the dealership(s) to act professionally and responsibly at those times. It is not about the customer always being right and always getting what they want.
Old 07-21-13, 02:19 PM
atang1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still love my 2013 RX 450h!
Old 07-21-13, 04:43 PM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atang1979
I still love my 2013 RX 450h!
STILL - after all this time? Say it ain't so ...

I'm sure the RX will go down in history along with the beautiful Jag E-type. Or not
These 40-45 year old gems go for $40-65K or so now

Old 07-21-13, 05:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Had a neighbor when I was younger who owned a Jaguar XKE V12 Series 3 2+2 hardtop. Most of the time I saw him with it he was tinkering under the hood. More tuning than driving. Was a labor of love. I would be out there working on my Chevelle doing much the same thing. Would say the same with a couple of the vehicles I have owned and in some cases still own, but not my Lexus. While many of us enjoy our RX, most would consider it nothing more than an appliance.
Old 07-22-13, 03:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by velopod
Yup. Hence the old joke, Why do the British drink warm beer? Because their refrigerators used Lucas wiring!

I had an aston martin vantage for 2 years. Had no problems whatsoever. Range rover and jaguars are a totally different story. Break down all the time and arent even that good to drive. My RX drives better than a range rover sport. Just because the Range rover sport has a 5 litre engine, doesnt make it fun to drive, it just wallows around like a boat

Quick Reply: Is anyone bored of their RX yet?