RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX, Where's the tranny dipstick?

Old 06-17-13, 10:37 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX, Where's the tranny dipstick?

Does it even have one?
I have been looking with my flash light for like 30 minutes, I couldn't find a dipstick-like component anywhere besides the one for the engine.

2013 RX f-sport
Old 06-17-13, 12:52 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

This is going to make you feel silly if it is correct, but I believe the transmission fluid is lifetime and is therefore a sealed system. So no dipstick.

What are you trying to do?
Old 06-17-13, 03:15 PM
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

CodeRed,

I do not believe the ATF WS has a dipstick but although the manual lists it as "lifetime" it should be changed. From A TON of ATF WS testing on Prii we have learned that it is a good idea to do an initial change at 10,000 miles or so and then change eery 50,000 miles or so. Some do it every 30,000 depending on driving conditions.

I have been searching on here and looking elsewhere to see if it is a simply drain and fill like in Prii but haven't found any answers yet. In my wife's RX 450h there is 4.9 qts in the front and 1.9 qts in the rear so about 7 quarts per change. Cheap insurance to limit metal wear.

I will post back if/when I learn more.

Happy driving,
Chris
Old 06-17-13, 04:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

This has been discussed here at CL before for previous 3rd Generation RX. Probably still holds true for your 2013.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hange-diy.html
Old 06-18-13, 05:57 PM
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
This has been discussed here at CL before for previous 3rd Generation RX. Probably still holds true for your 2013.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hange-diy.html
RX330inFL,

Thanks for the link. That is one of the threads I came across while researching the subject here at Club Lexus. There are a couple of posts about how ATF changes are cheap insurance and should be done and even a post about sending a sample to Blackstone for testing. I can tell you from history what they will find ... high Fe from break in and high Si from coating at the intial 10,000 mile or so change. After that pretty much normal contamination but still a fluid that should be changed and changed regularly.

Unfortuneately most posts reference "its a sealed system", "don't do anythign the manual doesn't require or your throwing money away" and stuff like that. Everyone is allowed an opinion but I prefer to error on the side of caution and the mountains of data we have collected over the years on ATF WS.

http://priuschat.com/threads/transax...nalysis.38524/

Still trying to find out if it is a simple drain and fill for both the front and rear on an RX 450h. I will report back when I know more.

Happy driving,
Chris
Old 06-19-13, 11:40 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Oh I just have a habit to keep everything well maintain (check air filter, cabin filter, fluid levels, etc.)
Old 06-19-13, 11:47 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CBarr31

Unfortuneately most posts reference "its a sealed system", "don't do anythign the manual doesn't require or your throwing money away" and stuff like that. Everyone is allowed an opinion but I prefer to error on the side of caution and the mountains of data we have collected over the years on ATF WS.

Still trying to find out if it is a simple drain and fill for both the front and rear on an RX 450h. I will report back when I know more.
While it's my personal habit to periodically check fluid levels and others such as air filter, I agree with other members that as "cheap insurance", it only benefits and no harms to change ATF say, at 50,000 miles or so. (maybe sooner if a couple of hundreds bucks isn't an issue)

However, before that time comes, I want to pull out the dipstick like I do with my other cars to check the fluid level and how dirty it is.
Old 06-20-13, 10:37 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This issue has been beaten to death. Even with a drain plug and filler hole it doesn't mean you can actually drain the fluid. It is physically impossible to drain more than a fraction of the fluid in the transmission without an extractor unit and you don't have one. It's a sealed unit for all intents and purposes but if you feel you are actually doing something useful go ahead and have at it, but it is just a waste of your time and money.
Old 06-24-13, 04:45 AM
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This issue has been beaten to death. Even with a drain plug and filler hole it doesn't mean you can actually drain the fluid. It is physically impossible to drain more than a fraction of the fluid in the transmission without an extractor unit and you don't have one. It's a sealed unit for all intents and purposes but if you feel you are actually doing something useful go ahead and have at it, but it is just a waste of your time and money.
Evitzee,

So the ATF WS can not be drained in an RX 350 or RX450h is what you are saying? It requires an extrator tool to "pump" the fluid out ... from your statement. That makes sense since that is what is required on the Toyota Highlander as well and that is essentially the same vehicle system.

As for the "just a waste of time and money", It statements like that that give owners a false sense of security in their vehicles. There are literally MOUNTAINS of evidence to the contrary that ATF WS does breakdown with it generally beginning around the 60,000 mile mark. Initial break in of an engine causes high metal wear and high silicon from sealants. These generally go away after the first 10,000 - 20,000 miles which is why an initial change is highly recommended. Then the ATF WS is generally just susceptible to viscosity breakdown.

Those that actually care about their cars and want to know more feel free to read any or all of the following:

http://priuschat.com/threads/draft-t...results.38609/

http://priuschat.com/threads/transmi...iented.127512/

Also if you have a Toyota or Lexus Service Advisor that you trust and can talk to "off the record" they will tell you exactly the same thing stated above. If it is a completely sealed system and "lifetime" as everyone likes to say why do Toyota/Lexus recommend it be changed at 100,000 miles in "certain driving conditions", LOL.

I hope someone out there finds this helpful.

Happy driving,
Chris