RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Another Remote Start thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 01:46 PM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Remote Start thread

Sorry if this is a beat to death topic. I did search, but did not find what I was looking for.

We just purchased a 2013 RX350 and I had the dealer install the RES+ system. Like many, we are not really very happy with it and will be getting in this week to be removed. I am planning on installing an aftermarket remote start, but want to make sure we can open the doors without the car shutting off. We will in TX and have two toddlers we have to put in the car. It is a pain to have to watch them and try to get in, push the brake and start the car. I want a system that I can start and stay running when I open the doors. If it shuts off with the brake, that's fine.

Is Viper the the best option? Will it stay running with the door open?

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-10-13, 03:51 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have Viper remote start installed in recently purchased 2013 RX350. Local professional installer doesn't know how (or don't want) to bypass the engine shutdown upon opening the door. It seems that we have to live with this "feature" for a time being.
OTOH, viper remote start has a great/long range communicating with the vehicle.
And although it's an extra remote to have, it's tiny (if you only get the RS w/o additional security options).

We like the option of remote start, even though we don't use it as often as on previous vehicles due to this restart necessity. Nevertheless, it'll come handy and useful in winter.
Old 06-10-13, 06:05 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Viper or Drone, same story install unable get it to keep running the engine. I think it takes a really knowledgable installer. Both are SmartStarts, so no extra key fob. Viper in the 2010 and Drone in the 2012, both RXh's.

Had installer put in a security module, but he could never get it so you could use OEM fob and open the doors without setting off the alarm. Carry an additional fob and it worked okay. No extra fobs for me, yanked out the security module.

The installer is the big factor in the equation.
Old 06-10-13, 08:40 PM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for the replies!

That is disappointing that even the after market systems still won't allow you to open the doors. What is the deal with that?!? My factory GM system in my truck is blows this system away.

Ok, so I am losing hope that we can open the doors. I guess that will lead to my next question. For those with Smartstart systems, how fast does the app load? And do the Viper/Drone apps keep you logged in? I have a passcode on my phone, a password with caps, lower case, and numbers for the app login, and a passcode for the app.

Thanks again! There is a ton of great info on this forum.
Old 06-11-13, 02:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

On an iPhone 5, from when I tap the icon to start the application, entering the four digit passcode and it connect to the vendors' server or car whichever it is, is around 6 seconds.

The Viper has a "Power User" setting, which I think is supposed to speed up the process, but I usually have that set to off. What the heck, six seconds?? Seems fast enough for me.

I suppose in the winter, when everyone is remote starting it may take longer. In my opinion, and this is not documented, Viper has the most server/cell service issues. Drone, not so much. Again, just an impression I have. Read the Facebook pages of each vendor and see what other owners seem to think.

As far as the stopping when opening, I've had this one for nearly a year, perhaps the technology has improved and it's now possible. Ask an installer.

Oh yeah, my wife's Nissan doesn't stop when opening with the Viper. The door thing is the "Lexus Way" and I complain about it when I have a chance in the Lexus customer satisfaction surveys.

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-11-13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 07:51 AM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

My 2010 came with a Python 574 alarm with remote start. I can start the car with the remote then unlock the doors, with the Python fob and open them without the motor turning off. If I step on the brake it will still turn off. When the car is started remotely the Lexus fobs and the door touch unlock will not unlock the doors. Only the Python fob will unlock and open them. This works fine for me as I carry the Lexus credit card fob for starting the car. This system is made by Viper so they should have a system that works in a similar way to the Python.

Last edited by dlchandler; 06-11-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 10:39 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

My local shop quoted me 400 bucks for Viper 4104 or 500 bucks for 2 ways. Is it a good price?
Old 06-11-13, 05:16 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have Viper 2-way remote start (42xx series) that was installed by local DEI Authorized shop for $400 total.
Old 06-11-13, 08:50 PM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gklatv
Have Viper 2-way remote start (42xx series) that was installed by local DEI Authorized shop for $400 total.
Thank i will use this info to negotiation with them.
Old 06-12-13, 11:19 AM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dlchandler
My 2010 came with a Python 574 alarm with remote start. I can start the car with the remote then unlock the doors, with the Python fob and open them without the motor turning off. If I step on the brake it will still turn off. When the car is started remotely the Lexus fobs and the door touch unlock will not unlock the doors. Only the Python fob will unlock and open them. This works fine for me as I carry the Lexus credit card fob for starting the car. This system is made by Viper so they should have a system that works in a similar way to the Python.
Thank you all!

Looks like I have some calling around to do. I'm dropping the RX off today to have the factory system uninstalled. It just does not have enough going for it for the price.

Ill keep you informed on what ends up going back in it.
Old 06-18-13, 05:30 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you tell us what problems u are having with RES+ ?
thx
Old 06-25-13, 10:15 AM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dolphin
Could you tell us what problems u are having with RES+ ?
thx
I guess it depends on your definition of problems. The install was very clean (except for the antenna) and it worked as it was designed. It's design is the issue though. If you have never had a well functioning remote start system, then I can see someone being ok with the RES+. As some one that has had multiple GM factory systems (they do a VERY good job with theirs) and multiple Viper systems the RES+ is more of a pain in the rear to use and I would rather just not have the remote start system than spend the money on it.

1. The key fob remote start range is very poor. This could be over looked if...
2. ...you could open the door (any door) and the car would remain running. This could be over looked if...

3. ...you could start it with the door open.

You the key fob range shouldn't really matter because it has an app. HA! The app is a joke.

4. It requires a 8 digit password every time you log in. This password has to have a capital letter, lower case letter and a number.

5. Once you enter your password it takes anywhere from 40-90 seconds to contact the server and log you in.

6. You're finally logged in and you decide to start the car. Once you hit START it makes you enter a 4 digit security code and then procedes to take another 40-90 seconds before the car will start. That gives you about an average of 2 minutes to start the car.

7. The yearly charge of $65 dollars for this app and the install charge make all this what I feel is a worthless remote start.

I would most likely still have it though, if you could open the stinking doors and it would remain running. I want the car to cool off while I'm putting my two kids in their car seats. They can say this is for safety all they want, but the car shuts off if you touch the brake or the start button too.
Old 06-25-13, 12:02 PM
DunWkg
Racer

3. ...you could start it with the door open
Not sure I've ever had a need for that function.

All that password entering sounds like a real pain in the neck. I swear sometimes Lexus never checks to see what their competition is doing.
Old 06-25-13, 03:51 PM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Not sure I've ever had a need for that function.

All that password entering sounds like a real pain in the neck. I swear sometimes Lexus never checks to see what their competition is doing.
That's not a needed function if you could open the doors after it was remote started.

In my Silverado, I can start it then unlock the doors and load the kids in with the air blowing wide open. I can also start it with the doors open if I happened to forget on my way out.

It also doesn't require you to preset the seat heaters or a/c and heater controls. It will turn the seat heaters on at any temp below 50. It turns the heater on if its cold out (but will not blow cold air, so it waits until the engine temp is warm) and blows a/c full blast if its hot.

I'm not saying Lexus/Toyota can learn much from GM, but this is one area that they could learn a thing or two.

Edit...
I absolutely love our RX by the way. This RES+ does not take away from the fact I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone that was interested in a midsize SUV. It's just frustrating that such a great car has such a POS remote start.

Last edited by 66nova; 06-25-13 at 04:04 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 06-25-13, 04:26 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

66nova, great post, thank you for your detailed thoughts...

I was an early RES+ adapter on my 13RX. While I agree with EVERYTHING you wrote about.... my threshold for "acceptable" was much lower...I would be happy if my RES+ would just plain "worked". The Lexus server is tempermental and SLOW. The server seems to loose your data...you enter it once, it works, in a week, it no longer works... Lexus is aware of this problem, I have been waiting 4 months, and finally gave up. They keep claiming it will be repaired in a week, yeah, right... I have been promised calls back from Lexus management after the 800 reps give you the overly polite, we are soo sorry, and my manager will call you...which never happens. about 8 wasted hours so far on 800 line. Typical Corp. lip service. They just pray you to go away, wear u down through attrition. I expected more from Lexus. I bet KIA doesn't do this :-)

I like the car too, but have been very unimpressed with Lexus corp. It seems their goal is to create massive distance between themselves and their customers. About the worst I ever experience for any product.

I also agree, Lexus apps are less impressive than freebie apps that kids make for fun. This includes enform as well, very dated.

Regardless, I am curious, can you get your money back on an option like this? Cause if you can, I will pursue the same.

So what system would opt for once you remove RES+ ? What is approx. price of the system u are considering? Maybe you can comment on the enhanced features of the new system u find very desirable.

Also, from your response, it seems you refer to the key FOB for many functions...does the key FOB have any relationship to RES+. I thought they were independent of each other? If u have remote start, yes, this is a key FOB function vs. RES+ which is a smart phone function. Am I missing anything here?

It's nice reading such a well articulated response...thx again for your contributions...

Quick Reply: Another Remote Start thread