RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Another Remote Start thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 02:30 PM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
66nova, great post, thank you for your detailed thoughts...

I was an early RES+ adapter on my 13RX. While I agree with EVERYTHING you wrote about.... my threshold for "acceptable" was much lower...I would be happy if my RES+ would just plain "worked". The Lexus server is tempermental and SLOW. The server seems to loose your data...you enter it once, it works, in a week, it no longer works... Lexus is aware of this problem, I have been waiting 4 months, and finally gave up. They keep claiming it will be repaired in a week, yeah, right... I have been promised calls back from Lexus management after the 800 reps give you the overly polite, we are soo sorry, and my manager will call you...which never happens. about 8 wasted hours so far on 800 line. Typical Corp. lip service. They just pray you to go away, wear u down through attrition. I expected more from Lexus. I bet KIA doesn't do this :-)

I like the car too, but have been very unimpressed with Lexus corp. It seems their goal is to create massive distance between themselves and their customers. About the worst I ever experience for any product.

I also agree, Lexus apps are less impressive than freebie apps that kids make for fun. This includes enform as well, very dated.

Regardless, I am curious, can you get your money back on an option like this? Cause if you can, I will pursue the same.

So what system would opt for once you remove RES+ ? What is approx. price of the system u are considering? Maybe you can comment on the enhanced features of the new system u find very desirable.

Also, from your response, it seems you refer to the key FOB for many functions...does the key FOB have any relationship to RES+. I thought they were independent of each other? If u have remote start, yes, this is a key FOB function vs. RES+ which is a smart phone function. Am I missing anything here?

It's nice reading such a well articulated response...thx again for your contributions...
Thank you!

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been crazy busy at work and been away from the forums for a bit.

I did get my money back for the system. I really cannot tell you if you can do the same. My service manager is a client of mine, so I'm sure that helped. I also did not have it installed very long before I figured out this was not going to work for us.

As far as what I am going to put on it, I'm not sure yet. Most likely a Viper system, but I am not sure yet. I'm guessing it will cost in the $750 range with the functions I am wanting. I could be off.

The key fob can be used to remote start the car with the RES+ system too. You push the lock button two times and then on the third push and hold down the lock button. If the car is just right outside or in the garage (of course with the garage door open) it's easier to use the key fob to start the car. If you're leaving the mall or whatever then you can use your RES+ app.

Hope this helps. If I get a new system, I will update to let you know and give a review.
Old 07-10-13, 08:12 PM
ScottJHawk
Driver School Candidate

Been trying to learn more about the RES+ as I'm purchasing a new RX350 and considering RES+ vs ***********. Would love to hear anyone's experience with RES+ from Lexus.

From what I've read all the systems have their issues so I'm wondering is there really a big difference if all you're looking for is the ability to start your car remotely from your office 5 minutes before you walk out the door?

Also - I suppose I get that it's mildly inconvenient to have to restart your car after you remote started it but I appreciate the security feature (in theory - I have no experience which is why I'm asking) and it really doesn't seem like a big deal, after a few minutes the air should be cooled or warmed, seats cooled or warm and I don't see how opening the door sitting down and pushing a button is a deal breaker? Not trying to be a jerk - just trying to understand from people with real world experience why this is having people remove the RES+ system.

Thanks
Old 07-10-13, 09:12 PM
66nova
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScottJHawk
Been trying to learn more about the RES+ as I'm purchasing a new RX350 and considering RES+ vs ***********. Would love to hear anyone's experience with RES+ from Lexus.

From what I've read all the systems have their issues so I'm wondering is there really a big difference if all you're looking for is the ability to start your car remotely from your office 5 minutes before you walk out the door?

Also - I suppose I get that it's mildly inconvenient to have to restart your car after you remote started it but I appreciate the security feature (in theory - I have no experience which is why I'm asking) and it really doesn't seem like a big deal, after a few minutes the air should be cooled or warmed, seats cooled or warm and I don't see how opening the door sitting down and pushing a button is a deal breaker? Not trying to be a jerk - just trying to understand from people with real world experience why this is having people remove the RES+ system.

Thanks
If the only thing you're looking for is the ability to start your car five minutes or so prior to leaving, then this system is adequate. That is as long as you think about it about 10 minutes prior so you have time to log into the app and for it to send the signal to start your car.

Truly, this is about the only way I would choose it over an aftermarket system.

Having to restart the car would not be as big of deal if the app was redesigned and you could log in in less than a minute. Trying to log into the app with kids running all over and hands full is near impossible to do before I have already walked to the car. I also would not mind having to restart the car if it would let open the doors with it running. It already has a number of redundancies built in including shutting off if the brake or starter button is pushed. Last I recall, you cannot put the car in gear without pushing the brake so why not let us open the door with it running?

This all tells me Lexus doesn't have a lot of faith in their smart key technology.

Look on apple App Store at the reviews of the RES+ app. Very poor reviews there too. I should have looked before buying.