RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

WITH NAVIGATION OR WITHOUT?? rx 350 2010

Old 06-08-13, 06:45 PM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WITH NAVIGATION OR WITHOUT?? rx 350 2010

I was intending on buying a 2010 rx 350 with a navigation system and am now having second thoughts. Any feedback on your experience? worth it or not? is it great or not?
Old 06-08-13, 10:16 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my iphone 5 and other smart phones have better navigation than the OEM navigation that comes with the RX.
Stand alone GPS (Garmin, Tomtom) have better screen than the RX Navi ( now, they're using glass instead of the plasticky capacitive screen).
and these stand alone GPS units, even the top of the line ones are below $400.

Since it's 2010, i'm pretty sure you will need to update it unless you're getting it from a dealer and they can update the maps for you.
However, RX 350 that have navigation usually have something else ( premium, comfort packages etc) which a Non-navi RX might be missing.

and if you plan to trade or sell the RX a few years down the road, the Navigation comes handy.

So to answer your question: Worth it or not? as a Navigation. Nope. BUT as a cleaner INFOtainment system, YES.
Is it great or not. Definitely not. and map updates are costly.

Last edited by markrivers; 06-09-13 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 02:15 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Drive both, one with navigation and one without, then make your decision. I maybe in a minority, but I love the navigation/audio/climate control/destination/bluetooth/telephone/built-in dashboard system with the remote touch control.
Old 06-09-13, 04:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Definitely a good suggestion David because it's not just about nav. There are other functions integrated in the screen including the back up camera. Without nav, the screen is much smaller and displays limited information. Also you get an extra storage space in place of remote touch. For directions, GPS is probably better since it can be updated frequently and costs less if not free. Lexus nav updates are behind by at least a year. It's also $300 installed. But you are not obligated to do it. Getting traffic alerts is another feature of nav. When a destination is entered, a notice will pop up if there's trouble ahead. It may change your route. That runs another $25/quarter. I recently updated nav for the first time more so for the points of interest. Roads rarely change around here. Finally there's resale consideration. A nav-equipped RX is more desirable.
Old 06-09-13, 08:26 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sk52
I was intending on buying a 2010 rx 350 with a navigation system and am now having second thoughts. Any feedback on your experience? worth it or not? is it great or not?
I would go with a Garmin or TomTom rather the factory GPS on any make or model of any car manufacture. Much more flexible and can use in any vehicle you own or rent. Also on most new GPS units the updates are free for life. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by azinn; 06-10-13 at 08:27 AM. Reason: GPS update info added.
Old 06-09-13, 08:51 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sk52
To answer your question. When i first bought my rx , almost every one i know asked me this question " Does it come with a nav?" I know that there are many cheaper alternate ways to navigate out there but i believe that the car comes with a factory navigation looks much better and cleaner than the one without it ( after market nav mounts on dashboard or windshield doesn't give the car a clean look at all) However, it's your money so buy what you think it's good for you.
Old 06-09-13, 05:25 PM
Hawkeye70
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 RX350 with NAV. The primary reason I purchased this car was the bi-Xenon headlights & associated characteristics. But, they only were available with the NAV package.
Old 06-09-13, 09:43 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azinn
Quote:
I would go with a Garmin or TomTom rather the factory GPS on any make or model of any car manufacture. Much more flexible and can use in any vehicle you own or rent. Just my 2 cents.
I own a portable GPS for when I'm on th go, but both of our verhicles have built in Nav units. I prefer the cleaner look of a factory unit. The screens are bigger than you'll get on a phone or portable unit. If I need to glance at the screen to see something, I want something I can see quickly so I can get my eyes back on the road.

These questions come up all the time and to be honest, if you set out looking for a vehicle with Nav, then don't settle or you'll regret it every single time you see the ugly Garmin sitting above your dash.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-10-13, 05:28 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

I initially thought about buying the non-NAV RX but a buddy of mine who buys and sells used cars for a dealership highly recommended I consider the RX with a NAV especially if my intention is to sell it in a few years. The trade-in will be higher obviously and it's an easier sell if I opted to sell privately.

Aside from that, I really like the setup/look of the NAV so I'm glad I got it.
Old 06-10-13, 06:22 AM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

Get the Nav. The whole interior looks better with it. The maps are really convenient.
Old 06-10-13, 06:29 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I also agree that the Nav is essential in a luxury Make. I actually like my Nav, I don't know how many times my portable Magellon fell off the suction cup on my dashboard mount. I won't buy a new car without Nav.
Old 06-10-13, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Get the NAV. I have it in both of my cars because I liked it so much in the first one.
Old 06-10-13, 11:24 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

I have a factory gps and also carry a portable as a back up.

Last edited by dapimpee; 06-10-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 11:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The new generation IS has a new NAV system that is said to be nicer.I don't know if the lousy directions improves but it has a 3D building screen,whole address voice input instead of city,then street,number etc.
Old 06-10-13, 12:41 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a non-NAV owner, one thing I will say that is that the ipod interface is pretty bad. Just in case that's something that's important to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WITH NAVIGATION OR WITHOUT?? rx 350 2010