RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

WITH NAVIGATION OR WITHOUT?? rx 350 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 08:52 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The navigation may not be the best, but most places are there. If you're getting a 2010, the price for the nav isn't great and its much easier to customize the car, look for phone contacts, backup camera, etc. You can always double-check directions on your phone!
Old 06-11-13, 02:25 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The one thing, there must be others, that bugs me is the voice destination question, "Alone Route or Near Here" I often want something that is neither.
Old 06-14-13, 09:58 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered my 2010 without Nav - admittedly, I did order the Backup Camera option that is part of the rearview mirror. That was an worthwhile addition for me; the Nav was not.

Since I plan to keep the car for 10 years, I didn't really care about resale.

In the 3.5 years I bought my car, turn-by-turn directions on the mobile phone have become better than the in-dash systems. Personally, I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $3K on it. YMMV.

Sandi
Old 06-18-13, 11:51 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO we went with non-nav and back up camera for these reasons;
1. Camera screen is co-located in the rear view mirror. Convenient eye movement.
2. Garman and others have life time map and traffic updates and is obviously transferable.
3. Non-nav has a very convenient space where the mouse would be, to place cell phones, coins, sunglasses etc.

2010 RX350
2002 SC430
Old 09-01-13, 09:33 PM
deesapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting for the climax .... So what did you decide ? ��
Old 09-02-13, 05:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I typically don't go for the Nav option (in pricey packages here in Canada), but it came with the F-Sport and honestly no regrets. Love the interface/control despite the controversy (although slightly different with the 2010) and as many have stated, people ask if you got it with Nav when it's time for resale.

The non-Nav screen with its mono-tone LCD display, seems a little out of place in a 45-50K luxury vehicle in my opinion. (In contrast, the '13 ES's is worse-looking, and the '14 IS is superb with its full color high-resolution screen).

The posts all have valid reasons to go with our without Nav. Not one is right or wrong. It depends on your priorities. For me, the RX is a purpose-built vehicle bought as a family hauler and road trip vehicle which means the integrated Nav is well used and of good overall value to me. I'd get it with the Nav if you share my same views. Good luck
Old 09-02-13, 11:53 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

navigation should be standard equipment for all RX's in my opinion......
Old 09-02-13, 01:25 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Making NAV standard on all RXs would not make it free, it would just raise the price of all RXs and force NAV on those who don't want it. That would probably result in fewer sales.
I love the NAV, and have it on both of my cars, but don't think such an expensive accessory should be standard on a car at the lower end of the luxury segment. (E.g.: It is standard on the LS, which has a starting price in the vicinity of $80,000.00, but not on the GS.)
Old 09-03-13, 12:51 PM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had integrated NAV before, but we now have it in my wife's car (GMC Acadia), and I got it in my CPO '10 RX-350, and I doubt either of us will be without it in the future. The Lexus NAV may not be the most elegant in the world, but I love the integration (not just for navigation), and its navigation has been just fine for me so far.
Old 09-04-13, 06:17 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I can't stand the OEM frustration system. Voice recognition plain and simple does not work, controls are not intuitive and 2D graphics are straight out of 90s. That, and the fact that they removed the AC button make it a huge disappointment. Never mind the fact that useful features are locked-out while driving and it takes a ton of clicks to accomplish simple tasks, such as starting Pandora. More then occasionally, the system needs to be rebooted for Pandora to work.
Save your money and stay away if you can. Unfortunately, unless custom-ordered, no 450h hits our shores without it.
Old 09-05-13, 05:58 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I can't stand the OEM frustration system. Voice recognition plain and simple does not work, controls are not intuitive and 2D graphics are straight out of 90s. That, and the fact that they removed the AC button make it a huge disappointment. Never mind the fact that useful features are locked-out while driving and it takes a ton of clicks to accomplish simple tasks, such as starting Pandora. More then occasionally, the system needs to be rebooted for Pandora to work.
Save your money and stay away if you can. Unfortunately, unless custom-ordered, no 450h hits our shores without it.
Thanks for the honest no BS evaluation! Probably have to special order to get an nicely equipted RX without one.

Last edited by azinn; 09-05-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 02:07 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azinn
Thanks for the honest no BS evaluation! Probably have to special order to get an nicely equipted RX without one.
I think you are making a wise decision, and wish more people would do so as well.

Fundamentally, I see the navigation system option as one of the greatest rip-offs in the auto industry. These days, going from the premium package to the least expensive navigation package is $2,682 more. This nav package includes the 19” wheels and sound system upgrades. So let’s say you are paying $2K more for just the navigation system.

So what are you getting for an extra 2 big ones?

PROS:
  • The screen is embedded in the dashboard so it looks nicer.
CONS:
  • Functionality wise, you are getting a nav unit that performs worse than a cheap Garmin. Mind you, you can get a decent Garmin with 5” inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic updates for around $150.
  • Most likely, you’ll get outdated maps, with the lovely option (sarcasm) of upgrading the maps for $300 a pop (thanks Lexus). Heck, I can buy a top of the line Garmin every year for that matter. Better yet, Google maps or Waze on my smartphone give me real-time map updates and traffic for free!!!
  • You get a clunky mouse control that cannot compete with touchscreens.
  • Because you now have a clunky mouse, a lot of useful dashboard buttons are eliminated and the equivalent functions can only be selected through your clunky mouse.
  • Eventually, you get so frustrated with the system that you end up using your smartphone or getting a Garmin anyways.
Let’s face it folks, Lexus is a car company, not an electronics company. Functionality wise, there nav system cannot compete with the likes of Garmin, TomTom, Google, Waze, etc.

Their only advantage is that they can integrate the nav unit into the car, and as long as people buy their antiquated junk for an outrageous profit, they’ll keep doing it.

Why would they do the sensible thing an just provide a standard screen interface that can be connected to a smartphone or external nav unit when they can get a x10 markup at sales time, and then a handsome future income of $300 per upgrade?
Old 09-06-13, 02:28 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Very well put!
Apple is working with OEMs on an iOS solution. That's a step (make it a giant leap) in the right direction.
Except, Toyota and BMW are not on board.

P.S.
Don't forget about expensive repairs we may have to face down the road to replace these ancient things, since so many non-entertainment functions are built into them.
Old 12-03-13, 02:10 PM
mikemck333
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I was just checking this board to find out if it's just me. Apparently not. The telematics and voice recognition in my 2007 Infiniti was miles better than what's in my 2010 RX 350. With radio off, the fan off, and on a quiet road I find myself repeating over and over again,

"Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... "
"Map"
"Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... Left map Zoom Out!... "
"Zoom in"

This is one of those cases where having something that "almost works" is not almost as good as something that works. Had I known I'd have saved thousands and bought a Garmin.
Old 12-03-13, 02:24 PM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I had the same problem with my 2010 until I turned up the Microphone volume. I turned the volume up to 4 I believe, and the voice command recognition improved greatly. Here are the instructions.
From the initial screen, hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times. This will bring you the hidden service menu where you can adjust the microphone volume.
I hope this helps....

Quick Reply: WITH NAVIGATION OR WITHOUT?? rx 350 2010