RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX Mark Levinson Volume??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 07:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2013 RX Mark Levinson Volume??

Does the Mark Levinson stereo only go to a max volume of 60? Just wondering if theres any way to make it go higher
Old 06-05-13, 08:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sorry rayaans, I'm not testing, LOL! Fifty is my max.
Old 06-05-13, 10:20 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dun no about ML, but my Premium do go up to 60. Anyways, I am not driving the RX as much as my wife does, and the only time I drive it = when I take her and my baby somewhere, so I can not enjoy loud music in it.

If I was to enjoy Music in my RX, I would rip the whole Stock system in the RX, and replaced it with

Infinity Reference Speakers + Amplifier + 10" Sub, together with an Alpine Player with Bluetooth, USB port, Navigation, DVD, CD player, could be Blue Ray as well + Seperate Equalizer from Infinity as well.

I have had many experiences with different sound system, but I have a Soft spot for Infinity. They sounds very Epic. Just my Opinion.
Old 06-05-13, 01:41 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark Levinson only goes to 60...I am pretty sure you are trying to go past that because the ML system sucks...I dont have it in my RX, but have it in my IS-F.

Ironically, the RX stock non ML sounds better and is much louder than the ML in my IS-F.

I hate the ML stereo, and bass response is pure crap...
Old 06-05-13, 02:09 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
Mark Levinson only goes to 60...I am pretty sure you are trying to go past that because the ML system sucks...I dont have it in my RX, but have it in my IS-F.

Ironically, the RX stock non ML sounds better and is much louder than the ML in my IS-F.

I hate the ML stereo, and bass response is pure crap...
Wow, really ? Good to know. I didn't pickthe ML option because it was special order only, and cost money. I opted for premium because I like the positioning of the speakers slot from stock. But, I prefer After Market all the way
Old 06-05-13, 02:32 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Nope its not that, bass is good. Better than the bose in the Q7 I had a while back. I had all windows down and there was lots of drilling going on close by so shoved it to max. I think its a great system!! And the 12 speaker system? SERIOUSLY?? Youve got to be joking mate, its nowhere near as good as the ML.
Old 06-05-13, 03:57 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Nope its not that, bass is good. Better than the bose in the Q7 I had a while back. I had all windows down and there was lots of drilling going on close by so shoved it to max. I think its a great system!! And the 12 speaker system? SERIOUSLY?? Youve got to be joking mate, its nowhere near as good as the ML.
I am glad you are liking the ML system...

Everyone has different tastes in music and sound fidelity, and I have found that ML is good for certain genre's of music. My experience with it is not a good one. Atleast you are liking it, and thats what counts...
Old 06-06-13, 06:54 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darkoozy
I am glad you are liking the ML system...

Everyone has different tastes in music and sound fidelity, and I have found that ML is good for certain genre's of music. My experience with it is not a good one. Atleast you are liking it, and thats what counts...
I think its great for R&B. Not so much for heavy metal but it does help to tweak the treble, bass and midrange settings. I personally feel that its a really clean sounding system whereas the bose in the Q7 was more bass heavy and lacked in midrange and treble. Really annoying!
Old 06-06-13, 12:17 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ML system is about as neutral as they come. While "60" is the highest setting, it doesn't go very loud and I suspect it's a) to provide a distortion free experience regardless of source input, and b) to protect the components from being over driven. I also believe the lack of color keeps fatigue to a minimum while driving. Just be careful. Don't let the lack of any excitement put you to sleep.
Old 06-06-13, 12:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Much like the volume output of Apple iPods and iPhones, there is probably also a bit of legal reasoning in there as to why it will not go louder. Be it interference with the ability to hear emergency vehicles or because of hearing damage which may result from continued exposure to such volumes, someone is going to sue.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/02/02/job...acescan05.html
Old 06-06-13, 04:09 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ecr72
The ML system is about as neutral as they come. While "60" is the highest setting, it doesn't go very loud and I suspect it's a) to provide a distortion free experience regardless of source input, and b) to protect the components from being over driven. I also believe the lack of color keeps fatigue to a minimum while driving. Just be careful. Don't let the lack of any excitement put you to sleep.
I find the ML very clean. Cleaner sound always sounds less fatiguing than a muddy system. It's true, you just keep raising the volume because its so clean and easy on the ears lol.
Old 06-06-13, 04:56 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

That might be a good point actually. All my windows were down and drilling was going on about a street away, hence I was listening to the ML at 60. With all windows closed, I cannot go over 40-45 and even then, its very difficult to talk to the passenger in the car without shouting so it probably is for safety.

Also, no distortion whatsoever. My previous RX 2nd gen did not have the ML but it distorted over 50 whereas it sounds so clean with the ML even at 60. Cant really fault the system, it does what it is intended to do. I am by no means an expert at music but it sure does sound good, to me anyway.
Old 06-06-13, 04:56 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

I agree the ML in my 2013 is lacking in overall definition, especially in bass as I've conveyed several times before in other threads ...but I remain astonished at the questions of a maximum volume setting at 50 or 60 being too low. I run fairly consistently at 26-30 with all my windows up, and that is OK -- perhaps a bit loud when trying to have a conversation unless I really get into it when I may turn it up a few more points driving solo... but never close to even 40 so I can remain confident I can hear outside warning sounds. Some of you are rockin. I guess I'm just becoming an old f@$t, not needing the volume as high as others that I pass sometimes on the road and can hear them inside my truck when my own iPod, Sirius, or FM HD is playing through my ML.

For more than a couple days now reading updates to this thread, I've wanted to respond, but hesitated as I thought I may get hate mail or snarky replies. So be that... I must finally say thanks, because after reading these posts, I'm not questioning my hearing ability any more being fairly happy with volume levels in my RX at almost half of what others desire. That's one thing off my list to talk to the Dr about at my upcoming annual physical.
Old 06-06-13, 06:28 PM
ecr72
Driver

At 26-30, I wouldn't expect you t have much bass response.

At first I felt the bass was lacking in the system but have changed my mind. It could be tightened up a bit (dynamat treatment) but the level is, like the rest of the ML system, pretty much neutral. I think we're used to hearing stereos and movies with enhanced bass. When I think of home theaters, almost everyone I know has their bass turned up too far. Thinking back to my youth and all the aftermarket car stereos I installed, an enclosed vehicle has a natural bass bump. Up until the RX, all the cars I've owned with a factory sub seems to be "tuned" to exploit this bass bump and while it's impactful, it's certainly not natural. I guess the best comparison I can make is the ML system to me sounds most like a very good home stereo system. Not home theater, home stereo, without a dedicated powered sub.

As I said, I too thought the system was weak when I first heard it but I think my expectations were seriously flawed from years of hearing very colored systems, like the Bose system in my Altima. It's lively, it goes loud, it can distort (big time), it can be fun with XM 51 & 52, but I'd never say it was even close to audiophile quality. To me, the ML system is pretty close to Audiophile.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-06-13, 06:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Too funny, BertL. I admit I crank up the ML due to a partially occluded right ear but mostly because music is like adrenaline. It helps get me going and put me in a better mood. I would definitely add subwoofers except I know it wouldn't stop there. I'd be dropping a few grand in no time. I know it would make my installer happy, LOL! As for me, I'm not so sure. I wasn't completely satisfied with the additions I made to the 330. And I'd rather not mess with the system. It is one of those desired features better kept intact IMO.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX Mark Levinson Volume??