RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What color license plate frame, black or chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 04:31 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color license plate frame, black or chrome?

Random question I know, but want to get rid of the dealer frame. What looks best with white...chrome or black? There is a fair amount of chrome with the lights ect on the back of the car but don't want too blingy. What do you all have on your white cars?
Old 06-05-13, 04:48 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That would be your personal view and with the color of the car. Mine is pearl white and I chose a thin band chrome design available at Wall-mart. It seems to work well. I've seen others I liked too on different colors.
Originally Posted by Lexusbuzz
Random question I know, but want to get rid of the dealer frame. What looks best with white...chrome or black? There is a fair amount of chrome with the lights ect on the back of the car but don't want too blingy. What do you all have on your white cars?
Old 06-05-13, 05:56 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Cruiter
That would be your personal view and with the color of the car. Mine is pearl white and I chose a thin band chrome design available at Wall-mart. It seems to work well. I've seen others I liked too on different colors.
That's my color! I said white but meant pearl white. I agree, it is a matter of personal preference...I was going to get a lexus plate but seems like overkill
Old 06-05-13, 08:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Watch those dealer frames in NJ. They can be illegal if they obstruct too much of the license plate. Chrome goes well with starfire pearl. There's the little bit of chrome on the tailgate to tie it in. I used to have a set of the Prestige frames which also happen to come in black. But I wound up switching to JDM license plate holders that are color matched to my tungsten pearl RXh. It blends in perfectly. Take a look at posts 27 and 28 in this thread to see pictures of both frames.

I agree with Jim. What color frame to get is subjective. But it adds a little personal touch. Oh, and I used to have chrome Walmart frames too but decided to step it up a few notches. Can you tell the difference? Not really but I know
Old 06-05-13, 09:11 AM
JPJump
Driver School Candidate

I just got rid of the Prestige Ramsey dealer frames after purchasing my '10 RX a month ago because as Anita alluded to, I don't want to give NJ cops a reason to pull me over. I may go with the Walmart frames. Just looked it up online (Slim Rim License Plate Frame, Chrome) and they're definitely not gaudy.
Old 06-05-13, 11:28 AM
Cruiter

Here it is. It's a shame the bottom two holes don't line up with the car . Some folks block their tag but I've never figured out why. It's photographed at just about every red light in the control zone areas.

Originally Posted by JPJump
I just got rid of the Prestige Ramsey dealer frames after purchasing my '10 RX a month ago because as Anita alluded to, I don't want to give NJ cops a reason to pull me over. I may go with the Walmart frames. Just looked it up online (Slim Rim License Plate Frame, Chrome) and they're definitely not gaudy.
Attached Thumbnails What color license plate frame, black or chrome?-2013-06-05_14-20-39_hdr.jpg  
Old 06-05-13, 01:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Jim, that's part of the reason I initially went with the Prestige plates, no holes for the license plates. Very clean look. It has two pieces and literally takes 10 minutes to install. First is the backing plate, attached where the license plates screws go. Then the heavy chrome frame with glass cover has tiny hex screws in the corners of the frame to attach to the backing. Not the best frames for someone who likes to remove license plates when waxing. Plus the frames weigh a ton.
Old 06-05-13, 02:34 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...or Jim, finally found them -- knew I'd seen them somewhere. No holes on the bottom, stainless, and the small profile you desire.
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/lice...late-frame.cfm
Old 06-05-13, 04:28 PM
Cruiter

I was going to go ahead and post that I'd order one then I scrolled down , they're pretty proud of them . Anita, how much were the prestige frames and do you have the link? Not saying I'm cheap, just in shock. If the others aren't a better deal I'll go ahead and place the order. I'm not one to remove the tag every year but I may have to in order to place a 2014 decal.
Originally Posted by BertL
...or Jim, finally found them -- knew I'd seen them somewhere. No holes on the bottom, stainless, and the small profile you desire.
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/lice...late-frame.cfm
Old 06-05-13, 04:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Jim, I posted the link above but here it is again. Chrome is $69.95. I had to buy two since front and back plates are required in NJ. With a coupon I paid about $90 for both. I figure it was better than buying the cheap knock-offs every few months since they tended to show wear quickly. BTW, the glass cover on the Prestige plates can be purchased separately if anything happens. But I didn't have a problem in the year I used them. They're pretty tough and live up to their namesake as the Fort Knox of license plate frames. A side benefit, they'll prevent anyone from stealing your decal.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-05-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 05:04 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ha ha ha... Jim, yes, I get it. Not your run of the mill big box store silver-coated plastic license plate frame that begins to disennentigrate the moment you put it on... But then again, we do own $50-60K+ rides out the door, and not $15K vehicles made out of our last years recycled beer or soda cans with quality to match. I spent the money on an $80 rear frame with my custom engraving in the color I wanted for each of my rides, just because it makes me happy to not have a dealer frame (I refuse to give anyone free advertising), and I like having something that I can keep as shiny as the rest of my ride along with a little saying that I occasionally see a grin from someone in my rear view mirror when they read it at a stop light. The best part is, spend the money now on the quality version, and your frame will last longer than you probably own your ride -- I move mine from ride to ride and they look brand new.
Old 06-05-13, 07:14 PM
Cruiter

You dawg, you know how to shame don't ya . Ok already, I'll jump for the real metal chrome one to hang under the 'plastic' chrome that even Lexus uses now LOL. I'll place the order tomorrow (Thursday).

I lied, I just ordered it. Anita, you have to come and install it . The no shipping charge took me over the edge.

Speaking of price, I was finally able to get the new Service manager to retreat to my good prices. My 50K was $75 including tax and all. Actually a buck cheaper than Toyota . Long as they keep this up, I'll drink their Latte's .
Originally Posted by BertL
Ha ha ha... Jim, yes, I get it. Not your run of the mill big box store silver-coated plastic license plate frame that begins to disennentigrate the moment you put it on... But then again, we do own $50-60K+ rides out the door, and not $15K vehicles made out of our last years recycled beer or soda cans with quality to match. I spent the money on an $80 rear frame with my custom engraving in the color I wanted for each of my rides, just because it makes me happy to not have a dealer frame (I refuse to give anyone free advertising), and I like having something that I can keep as shiny as the rest of my ride along with a little saying that I occasionally see a grin from someone in my rear view mirror when they read it at a stop light. The best part is, spend the money now on the quality version, and your frame will last longer than you probably own your ride -- I move mine from ride to ride and they look brand new.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-05-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 08:14 PM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Default anyone consider the chrome Lexus from?

instead of the thin chrome, what do you all think of the Lexus plates? too much Lexus?
Old 06-05-13, 09:12 PM
seanlin
Rookie

This is what I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350792422936...84.m1497.l2649
Attached Thumbnails What color license plate frame, black or chrome?-zbc.jpg  
Old 06-06-13, 03:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

YI lied, I just ordered it. Anita, you have to come and install it . The no shipping charge took me over the edge.
LOL Jim. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Prestige frame. There's nothing else like them. Your plates will look like they're floating in a chrome frame. But I'm not responsible for any injuries suffered during installation

Quick Reply: What color license plate frame, black or chrome?