RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hot Dog

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 12:00 PM
mobileS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hot Dog

Hi everyone,
Bought a new 2013 RX 350 two weeks ago, and I'm loving it. Very comfortable for long drives, and really like all the technology.

The one not so happy about the car new is my dog. She is in the way back, and unlike my prior Toyota Highlander, there are no a/c vents for the way back. We crank the a/c, but she still pants away drooling all over the seat headrests Rear seat vents are pretty weak.

Does anyone have an suggestions for cooling down the dog short of rolling the windows down?

Saw the awesome thread about the "a/c" + vented front seats, was hoping someone here has had to deal with a similar problem with chilling their dog.

Thanks for your help in advance - cheers
Old 06-02-13, 02:07 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First, congrats on your new RX.

I fortunately ride solo or with a single passenger most of the time, allowing me to have my Golden Retriever ride in the back seat. She found the center vents back there rapidly, and quickly lays down so she has air blowing on her face the whole time. I have a custom polycotton Canine Cover over my seat which does a great job -- it's not cheap, but it fits, does not ride around, gives a bit of grip for her to have a little traction, and is water repellant for any mistakes that occur. Easily comes off and goes in the washer/dryer, then back on in 5 minutes. ...and it fits in with the looks and quality of the rest of my RX when she's not riding with me. It's just fine to have someone sit on it for a quick trip, although I remove it if I'm going to be hauling a bigger crew.

If you can't have your dog in the back seat, try opening the moonroof in a couple of configurations both with and without the back two windows down just a bit. You'll get a different draw on the ventilation in the back that way. Other thing to try is perhaps drop the center portion of the back seat and see if that helps push some of the air clear into the back. With the higher rear seats in the 3rd gen, that's about all I can think of.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-13, 02:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There should be a power outlet in the cargo area. Maybe plug in a fan to at least increase the air flow without opening the windows. Otherwise we might have to wait for MEP to come up with another one of his brilliant ideas so you can have a chilly dog instead

Last edited by kitlz; 06-02-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 04:22 PM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

You might want to try closing the side vents on the dash. The centers will have more force. Aim the centers up and back. This should create a more effective convection to cool the rear
Old 06-02-13, 05:44 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go Anita.......

Duct tape some flexible dryer vent hose to the rear vents and pipe it to the cargo area.
LOL

MEP
Old 06-03-13, 12:24 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
There should be a power outlet in the cargo area. Maybe plug in a fan to at least increase the air flow without opening the windows.
I agree, Anita. About the only thing other than adjustments to the vents and temps the next step would be to see about a 12V fan for that area of the vehicle. Surprised that something like this has not come up previous for locations in the hot South such as TX and FL.

Amazon.com: RoadPro RP73002 10" 12V or Battery Dual Power Portable Fan: Automotive Amazon.com: RoadPro RP73002 10" 12V or Battery Dual Power Portable Fan: Automotive

Question for mobileS4, do you have the AC set to recirculate the interior air?

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03_02.pdf
Old 06-03-13, 08:25 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. I clicked on the "hot dog" and thinking about it on a Bunch....never really expected a Dog that get hot, a real HOT DOG!

Congrat on purchasing the new RX. This is True that the RX has no air vent in the back, it is a bit inconvenience. I too am thinking about checking out the Brand-New High Lander which will be released in December.

I may trade in this RX for the High-Lander Hybrid. Same Price, more Techs, less fuel, and more Seats+cargo
Old 06-03-13, 08:30 AM
mobileS4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone!

BertL - dropped the center portion and that has helped - both in cooling and in helping my crazy dog feel closer to us - but not too close

Anita - definitely seriously considering a fan back there to speed the cooling up. It's those first few minutes that are unbearable.

CSSLDR - will try this, as the centers still blow back in our faces no matter how high you tilt them

MEP - If you build it, i will buy it

RX330inFL - will also try this, recirculating will speed cooling correct? Not sure I had this on.
Old 06-03-13, 09:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

mobileS4, I believe recirculate is the default when the air conditioner is on the auto setting. It changes depending on the temperature. The cooled air also comes out of the upper vents only. Both adjust as either the temperature is changed manually or changes inside the cabin. My parents usually have the Rottie sitting in the back seat of their Grand Cherokee with similar rear vents on the back of the console. He still pants and drools a little with the AC blasting. Unfortunately that's all puppy can do with a slightly higher body temperature, fur coat, and inability to sweat like us.

If you can, before putting your dog in, open the windows with the fob (hold open button), start the RX and turn the AC on full blast to get the hot air out for a minute. Remote start is perfect for this. In addition to dropping the middle part of the back seat like BertL said, maybe you can position the fan so it draws in the cooled air from the vents and sends it to the cargo area. It may require fastening the fan to the middle seat back. Or you can go with the MEP's Home Depot special I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out something before it gets hot again.
Old 06-06-13, 08:54 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Here you go Anita.......

Duct tape some flexible dryer vent hose to the rear vents and pipe it to the cargo area.
LOL

MEP
lmao that funny.