RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 rx350 cpo price! Deal or no deal? Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 12:36 AM
sk52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really appreciating how thorough you guys are responding to my posts! This is a great forum with great members =)
I don't have much time as I have to get up in 4 hours so let me just get to it.
The followng 3 were the quotes I have received thus far

CAR1- msrp as new $49550.00. 26k miles, nav. 10 small scratches, many pebble dents. tires decent. rear sensors. salesman rated bleh. OTD $36K. SOLD to someone else. glad I passed on this.

CAR2 - 05/16/2013 30,058 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
nav. 30k miles, 2 small scratches, bumper needed replacement clip as one side kept coming loose- seemed super minor. upholstery needed little touching up on driver seat and left side back seat has a small scratch like a cat claw. brake pads didn't ask. but I think he might've said we get new ones. has new Michelin tires. Salesman stated turn around time would be 2-3 days and regarding all the above work that I found, he said he'd see about getting it fixed. I presumed this must be a more thorough dealership as CAR1 was quoted to be ready in 1-2 HRS, not days. threw in new weather mats, and no rear sensors. salesman rated ok QUOTED $36045 OTD

CAR3- 05/15/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
MSRP as new $46775. nav. car brand tires I forgot, but on the service sheet he showed me that they were rated at an 8 along with the brake pads 8 as well so I wouldn't be getting new ones.. Should I have been more observant of the tires brand? is there a HUGE difference? I just know Michelin are a high brand and don't really know other brands. no noticeable scratches or dents on the exterior.threw in new all weather mats, no rear sensors. salesman good QUOTED 35995 OTD

CAR3, The following work they did at the dealer is displayed on the carfax. CAR2 has yet to do this untl it is sold. So I felt I had to compare pre-work CAR2 vs. post-work CAR3. Told me it would take 40 minutes for it to be ready for me. Is this time frame too short for it to be properly ready? Washed, waxed, all fluids filled, what else should they do?

Pre-delivery inspection completed
Air filter replaced
Floor mats installed
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Cabin air filter replaced
Mud flaps/splash guards repaired
Tires rotated
Washed/detailed
seat upholstery repaired (the leather still doesn't look perfect, touch up is noticeable but it's ok overall)

With the 4k mile difference and like new condition alone, CAR3 seems to be the front runner against CAR2. Although option wise I don't remember if it had a higher MSRP as a new car.

CAR3 is $33050, $2767 tax, $186 fees. ($35995 sticker, website dropped to $35,440, I forgot what he initially quoted me but after negotiating as much as and as long as possible, I got it to 33050, well I said the other place quoted me 36k OTD, he reluctantly matched it after two negotiations )

04/19/2010 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to New York
According to this carfax line, I believe this means car was made in 2010?

What do you guys think? Should I take it? The manager wasn't too open to ball play, after a few back and forth's trying to see what else can be thrown in there to beat CAR2 he just matched price and threw in all weather mats as CAR2 did. The 75 year old manager looked like he REALLY didn't care or want to do it for me. Don't if they were doing bad cop vs good cop.
I told him CAR2 has new tires,( but I did fudge it had 2k more miles rather than 4k more miles =P I'm not a very good liar.) He just said mine are like new rated an 8. Asked to at least match weather mats, got approved. Asked for $500 bucks discount instead of mats, got denied. I didn't know what other extras to ask for so I asked for an extra free service to squeeze every willing bit and got denied.

My pops is exhausted. I still have a little more left in me but I'm wondering that although another car may be cheaper, I may not find one up to the same quality.

Car looks to have been for sale for 18 days. How much longer do you think I can hold out before it slips away? I don't think this manager will lower the price any more unless it sticks around to the end of the month.

Last edited by sk52; 06-04-13 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 06:46 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

sk52, you didn't say above if these are CPO or not, as that plays into the pricing. Within the past couple of weeks, I've purchased a CPO 2010 RX 350 in NJ, so perhaps my experience will be of some help to you. Also, I'll add, the many posts about the 2010 RX 350 on this forum were very helpful in my decision to purchase the RX 350.

As you have seen. there are a lot of factors that go into the calculus of which car to buy--the exterior/interior color, condition of the car, installed options, mileage, etc. At the end of the day, a used car is obviously worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. And as you've seen, while you are mulling over a decision, someone else can come in and buy the car from under you. That said, there seems to be a good amount of inventory out there, as I suppose 2010's are coming off 3 year leases. Though I discovered that even with a used RX 350, dealers are simply not going to give them away--but you should be able to negotiate, especially on one that's been sitting for awhile (mine wasn't).

In contrast to your looking for white, I was looking for a black exterior for myself, preferably with black interior. My other criteria were AWD of course, NAV and backup camera, low mileage, and any other bells and whistles I could muster.

Fortunately, I saw one that met my criteria pop up at one of the dealers around me, with clean car fax. Per the original sticker, MSRP was over $49k, and included a bunch of the packages (comfort, premium), plus 19" wheels and NAV. About all it was missing were the front/rear sensors, ML audio and auto folding side mirrors. Unfortunately, there were not a ton out there that met my criteria, so I knew I would likely want to act on this one.

When I went to test-drive the RX 350, the car was in very nice condition inside and out for a 2010 (built in Feb 2010 I believe), and was a little over 20,000 miles (so driven about 7,000 miles per year off a 3-year lease). Asking price was about $35k, and I had a trade-in (Mazda CX-7). For a bit of reference, I had a deal in hand on a 2012 Acura RDX with Tech Package at $30k for the car, and $10k for my trade-in. The Acura dealer let me walk out the door without moving, so I know this was about the best they would do.

When we got to negotiating, the Lexus dealer was playing their usual games, and started adding in additional prep fees and the like, so we were moving in the wrong direction. I told him as much and was ready to walk out, and that got them back on track. When they started coming down off their asking price, they wanted me to take the car non-CPO, but I wouldn't budge on that. I ended up striking a deal on this RX 350 that I was comfortable with, including the trade-in. About $33.5 on the car before tax, title, etc., and about $11.5 on the trade-in, with CPO. Considering this was really the right car at the right time being available, the 0.9% financing through Lexus was the icing on the cake but did play a role in me going with the Lexus.

In any event, good luck OP. You can hopefully find what you are looking for. But at your target price of $36k out the door, you should be able to find a nice 2010, with relatively low mileage, and with the CPO protection.

Edited to add: I was armed with printouts of comparable cars at other dealers, and with plenty of info about Edmunds TMV and KBB pricing on both the used RX 350 and my trade-in, and my purchase fell generally in line with where it should have. And also, I am loving the RX 350. My first, and surely not my last, Lexus. So much better than my CX-7.

Last edited by jeffreyr; 06-04-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 08:23 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a point of reference sk52, check the pre-owned stock of Lexus of Rt. 10 in Whippany, NJ. Even if you are not close to this dealer, I know that their online pricing is pretty aggressive. For instance, they have:

2010 Gray RX CPO w/ Nav, 44k miles - asking 31k
2010 Light Blue CPO w/ Nav, 35k miles - asking 31.5k

In my experience, when the dealer refuses to come down any further on price, that's the time to negotiate improvements on the car itself: new tires, new brake pads, fix scratches, etc. If they think a sale is imminent they will usually be more inclined to perform these upgrades.

Also, try to get some clarification on this "8" rating: is that 8/10? or 8mm left? I had this same kind of feedback from a dealer...I told them 8mm means nothing to me if I don't know the starting point and replacement point. When I started asking questions they just went ahead and replaced all the brake pads.

Remember the dealer has to sell YOU the car. Don't let them think they're doing you a favor. Regardless of new or pre-owned status, you are potentially about to spend a lot of money at their business. Make them earn it. They're not the only game in town. Good luck!
Old 06-04-13, 06:23 PM
Silverb53
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2010 rx350

Just bought a 2010 black in fabulous condition with 30k miles and paid 32,5 with nav and all the extras, check Sewell Lexus as they have a ton of them, come to Dallas and save yourself some bucks
Old 07-12-13, 07:55 PM
RX350NY
Driver School Candidate

I think you can find some great deals out there..

I just picked up a 2010 RX350 CPO with 26k miles and Nav and everything else for 33,500 at Greenwich Lexus. I looked at Lexus of Manhattan (way over priced), Rallye (good deals), Lexus of queens (crooks)