RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did you get the Lexus recall letter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 04:23 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you get the Lexus recall letter?

I am not sure if this has been talked about but I received such letter. The recall is for a change in the accelerator pedal and check on the floor mats. I plan to take the car in. Anybody knows what the pedal change is?
Old 05-29-13, 04:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The recall has been discussed somewhere in here. I had it done late last year. Basically the dealer will shave the bottom part of the gas pedal. Mine looks absolutely hideous. They'll check the floor mats to make sure they're secure. If you happen to have all weather mats over the carpeted mats, they'll remove the top mats and throw them in the back. Just make sure you go in with an empty gas tank. The dealer is supposed to fill it up for you.
Old 05-29-13, 05:05 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way the dealer will be filling up your gas tank when we bring it in for the recall. You might got lucky if they actually filled up your tank.
Old 05-29-13, 05:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ It is lexus practice to fill up your gas tank as a courtesy when you bring in your car for a recall. I for one would not get this recall done because many people shared their experience like Anita's where they basically make the gas pedal smaller by cutting it. They also use plastic ties to tie the floor mat in place
Old 05-29-13, 05:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
The recall has been discussed somewhere in here. I had it done late last year. Basically the dealer will shave the bottom part of the gas pedal. Mine looks absolutely hideous. They'll check the floor mats to make sure they're secure. If you happen to have all weather mats over the carpeted mats, they'll remove the top mats and throw them in the back. Just make sure you go in with an empty gas tank. The dealer is supposed to fill it up for you.
Stacking floor mats is dangerous and should be avoided.

I believe the whole concept of filling the gas tank on recalls is optional. Never had one drop of gas added to my RX by the dealership for any of the recalls. Was lucky to get a loaner as if the repair is less than 2 hours the local shops are discouraged from providing them and especially if you are out of warranty even for recalls. There is a definite pecking order in this area on who qualifies for a loaner.
Old 05-29-13, 05:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ It is lexus practice to fill up your gas tank as a courtesy when you bring in your car for a recall. I for one would not get this recall done because many people shared their experience like Anita's where they basically make the gas pedal smaller by cutting it. They also use plastic ties to tie the floor mat in place
Believe me I'm looking for replacement pedals. No plastic ties were used to secure the mats. I can't see how that would be practical since the customer could cut them later. Not much else can be done other than to remove the mats completely. That's what my dealer does with their loaners.
Old 05-29-13, 06:22 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I have had recalls completed at least 4 times that I can remember over the years, on 3 Lexus at 3 different dealerships in 2 different States and I have always had the tank filled upon return. The "courtesy" began with the first recall Lexus did back in the day... I's well documented. I suppose one's mileage may vary by dealer I these times, but it has always been done for me, and I consider it a really nice good will gesture that sets Lexus apart from the others.
Old 05-29-13, 09:07 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Believe me I'm looking for replacement pedals. .
It looks like those cool F sport pedals fit on all the 3rd gen models.

They're $189 for a set at Sewell with the CL discount.
Old 05-30-13, 03:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
It looks like those cool F sport pedals fit on all the 3rd gen models.

They're $189 for a set at Sewell with the CL discount.
Thanks Marvin. I've looked at those but it only includes three pedals. I'd want to replace them all including the foot rest. In the meantime I'm grateful I have large feet to cover what's left of the gas pedal
Old 05-30-13, 07:10 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

My dealer replaced my pedal with a new shorter one. It doesnt seem like its been cut. I also got a full tank of gas when I was in 2 months ago.
Old 06-02-13, 06:46 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this recall just for 2010's?
Old 06-02-13, 09:55 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think sometime in the mid 2011 production run the re-did the ECU mapping and installed a shorter pedal. If you owned a car with the issue, you'd get a letter or maybe even just the service writer informing you 1st.
Originally Posted by rogerh00
Is this recall just for 2010's?
Old 06-02-13, 04:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Just to let you know a few posts have been removed. We don't want this thread to turn into a debate about unintended acceleration and how to prevent it. There are already multiple threads on this topic in CL.

This particular recall, Lexus Safety Campaign 9LG, is part of an amendment to the original recall Lexus issued in 2009 and includes approximately 131,800 2010 RX350s and 22,200 2010 RX450hs. This information is taken directly from the Lexus Recall Information website. Scroll down to the section called "Lexus Announces Amendment to 2009 Recall" for more details.

Anyone affected by this recall should have received a letter in the fall of last year. You would have also seen notification when you logged into the Lexus owners' website and selected "Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns" under the "My Lexus" tab.

LeoDLion, here is the thread I was talking about before. It also confirms that most members had their gas tanks filled when they brought their RXs in for the recall.
Old 06-06-13, 10:54 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Anita and everybody. I took my car today. They shaved the gas pedal. I am not happy about it. I am writing a letter to Toyota/Lexus Customer Assistance to complain. The shaved bottom part is whitish where the rest of the gas pedal is black. It is ugly and reflects badly on Lexus for doing a solution that looks cheap and trashy. I will update when they reply.
Old 06-06-13, 12:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Thanks Anita and everybody. I took my car today. They shaved the gas pedal. I am not happy about it. I am writing a letter to Toyota/Lexus Customer Assistance to complain. The shaved bottom part is whitish where the rest of the gas pedal is black. It is ugly and reflects badly on Lexus for doing a solution that looks cheap and trashy. I will update when they reply.
Post a picture if you can. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Did you get the Lexus recall letter?