RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The annoying droning engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 12:39 PM
K1200ltc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy those new bearings. They made a huge difference for me!
Old 02-01-14, 05:24 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got around to taking my car to the dealership yesterday. The service lady listened to the exhaust and she acknowledged the sound is louder than usual, so she had the car looked at by a mechanic. She said they have a machine with sensors before and after the cat converter to determine if it working properly. He couldnt find a leak anywhere but did acknowledged the exhaust was louder than normal, but not enough to do anything under warranty as they would need to send the defective part to Lexus Corporate in order to get paid for the warranty work. So although I still have a loud exhaust, Im glad I had it checked out. I will have an end of warranty check done mid 2015 if I still have the car at that time. The SA was really nice, didnt charge me for the check up plus I got a car wash, coffee and muffin lol

Last edited by euroja153; 02-01-14 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 07:02 AM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Droaning exaust noise

Sounds like you are a Dealers Dream. Settling for a biscoti, coffee and a carwash instead
of getting a problem corrected is too easy.
Your supposed to be driving a luxury vehicle and even though it's 4 years old, you deserve better.
'
You are fortunate not having to drive my Hummer/Whiner that will sing you a tune even while you sit in Park, And the Repair Tech couldn't even hear it. I plan on sitting with him next visit and giving a music lesson.
Yes I too deserve better and no amount of muffins will make me go away.

2013 RX350
4500 miles
Old 02-03-14, 07:43 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by euroja153
I finally got around to taking my car to the dealership yesterday. The service lady listened to the exhaust and she acknowledged the sound is louder than usual, so she had the car looked at by a mechanic. She said they have a machine with sensors before and after the cat converter to determine if it working properly. He couldnt find a leak anywhere but did acknowledged the exhaust was louder than normal, but not enough to do anything under warranty as they would need to send the defective part to Lexus Corporate in order to get paid for the warranty work. So although I still have a loud exhaust, Im glad I had it checked out. I will have an end of warranty check done mid 2015 if I still have the car at that time. The SA was really nice, didnt charge me for the check up plus I got a car wash, coffee and muffin lol
Ahhh. The old "working as designed" 2 step. If 2 people acknowledge that it's louder than normal, they should either fix it or tell you it isn't covered under warranty. I really don't think "it's not bad enough" is an acceptable response! A quiet cabin is supposed to be a Lexus hallmark. I once told the Service Manager I thought their prices were very high compared to other dealerships, and he responded by pointing out that "Lexus is a PREMIUM brand". It seems to me that blade should cut both directions!

I don't want to sound like I'm judging anyone (I'm not. They catch me sometimes, too), but I think it's interesting that expectations of the average Lexus service department are so low that they can acknowledge an issue, tell you it's not bad enough to worry about, take NO action or responsibility, and still make you feel good about not being over charged for the experience. If expectations are low enough, it's not difficult to exceed them!

Last edited by User 41924; 02-03-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 08:51 AM
euroja153
Driver

Hmmmmm maybe I did get fooled, but if there was a problem according to their machine what is the upside for them in not doing the work under warranty? Dont they bill Lexus corporate for it?

Last edited by euroja153; 02-03-14 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 09:38 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Good question! I don't have the definitive answer, but I would be very surprised to learn that Lexus pays the same hourly rate for labor that you and I pay. I would also think there would be increased cost in paperwork as well as a delay in collecting payment, since you and I are required to pay at the time we pick up the car. It all comes down to making less money for warranty work.

I would also assume that if there is ANY risk of Lexus not paying them to do the repair for some reason, they will simply decline to fix the problem and blame Lexus. Maybe it is a Lexus policy issue, maybe it's really a dealership profit issue. Either way, it's not difficult to get caught in the middle, and wind up having to just live with the problem. I think this is what you're seeing.

Last edited by User 41924; 02-03-14 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 11:05 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i drove the is250/es350 before purchasing the RX 2014 same day. and the RX is loudest of the bunch I felt. Engine and tire noise.

Could be the heavy duty oil/rad/transmission cooler may have a part? But I have driven an 09 or earlier and its much quieter from what I remember...could be just me.
Old 02-03-14, 06:02 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
I don't know if this will help, but I will though out the story and suggestion... In short, could it be your tires?

I just upgraded my RX last Friday, so I had been test driving several 2010 to 2014 models. I noticed that many of the newer models had more noise than my 2010 model. This struck me as odd at first, then I drove another 2014, and it didn't have the noise I had heard on two other RXs. The difference was the tires. All the models had 135 miles or less on them, but the vehicles with the Dunlop tires had a low rumble/drumbeat noise when I got things to 65mph. The vehicle that didn't have the annoying drone had Michelins.

I bought one of the cars that had the annoying noise, and as part of the deal, had them swap the Dunlops for the Michelins. I don't hear the noise at all.

Good Luck...
Before I purchased my '14 RX350 AWD I also test drove a '14 RX Hybrid. The 350 had Dunlops and the Hybrid had some other brand. The Hybrid was much noisier.

I ended up with the 350 and had the dealer swap the Dunlops for Michelins. It is a very quiet ride.

The vehicle I purchased was different than either of the tested vehicles.
Old 07-07-14, 05:48 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Finally got the Tech to acknowledge the Humming/Groaning from the Engine as I sat behind
the wheel at my 5000 mile service visit. His response was that the sound we were hearing
( at start-up) was "NORMAL"
Of course, dumb old me, said " How's come it goes away after 5-10 miles of driving" ?
(NO response other than NORMAL)
The RX350 drives and sounds fine after that mileage, but many times my destination is less,
and I feel like I am driving a reject.
This has persisted since new, @ frigid and high temps; as we approach 7500 miles.

Has any one else experienced anything similar where engine sound varies in pitch when
acceleration increases the RPM's ???

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...#ixzz36pftoDUb
Old 07-08-14, 07:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the exhaust tone....
Old 07-28-14, 09:20 AM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Too bad it is not an Exhaust Sound

And if it was, it would not dissipate after 10 minutes like mine does
Old 07-29-14, 11:23 AM
lexisoleil
Driver School Candidate

I think I have same issue loud "whining" noise when I press gas pedal at around 20-25 mph and 4-50 mph. It goes away if I release the pedal, it will also go away within 5-10 secs if I wont release a pedal. It does not always makes the sound, so my husband think im crazy. I just bought CPO 2011 AWD RX350 3 weeks ago and it is still under factory warranty. I just dont know how to describe the issue to the mechanic to sound legit and not crazy...I also noticed that I most likely have this sound if I start speeding up and sort of keep it in 20mph speed coasting...if I speed up without letting it coast at lower speed it most likely wont make the noise...

Sometimes I put the radio loud so I wont hear it, but I can feel the noise through the gas pedal...
Old 10-13-14, 02:46 PM
EagleEye99
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this.

Put it into Neutral or Park, and give it a rev up to 5K RPM (don't hold it, just a quick rev). I find that the noise occurs purely from the engine. Based on this forum, and my own digging it could be a number of things.

Exhaust, loose heat shields, general resonance, or timing chain. The noise also goes away if you down shift (or let go of the gas). So the noise seems to happen when there's a certain amount of vibration or torque on the engine. However, I hear a similar noise (though very hard to replicate) when braking. So, I am not sure if it's the downshifting that causes the vibration and produces the noise.

I WILL figure it out. But, for now, I have work to do to make my payments.

Originally Posted by lexisoleil
I think I have same issue loud "whining" noise when I press gas pedal at around 20-25 mph and 4-50 mph. It goes away if I release the pedal, it will also go away within 5-10 secs if I wont release a pedal. It does not always makes the sound, so my husband think im crazy. I just bought CPO 2011 AWD RX350 3 weeks ago and it is still under factory warranty. I just dont know how to describe the issue to the mechanic to sound legit and not crazy...I also noticed that I most likely have this sound if I start speeding up and sort of keep it in 20mph speed coasting...if I speed up without letting it coast at lower speed it most likely wont make the noise...

Sometimes I put the radio loud so I wont hear it, but I can feel the noise through the gas pedal...
Old 05-26-15, 06:40 PM
blong123
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone made any progress in resolving this issue?

I just purchased a 2011 RX350 with 45k miles as a CPO and hear this annoying intake/exhaust sounds when in Drive at a red light / stop and under light acceleration. Sound disappears when you put transmission in Neutral / unload the engine when stopped.
Service folks basically saying this is normal which is a lame response and don't seemed interested in resolving other than inspecting intake/exhaust fittings for leaks or loose connections. I guess this isn't an easy one to fix but I don;t what to say "it is what it is".

Last edited by blong123; 05-27-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 01:24 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 RX, purchased in Indianapolis right at a year ago.

Unfortunately, I have a "droning" engine, it drones at 40-43 mph, and at 50-54 mph. It is loud and annoying to say the least. Much louder than when idling or driving the car at -say 30 or 60 mph or even 70-75 mph.

At my 5K service (actual mileage was 4800) I asked them to take a look at the droning engine. They wrote on my service ticket: "engine noise is normal for a this vehicle at this age and mileage". I asked the service advisor how can this be normal for a Lexus with less that 5K miles, he just shrugs.

The demo model did not drone...but I didn't notice mine droning on delivery either. I think it develops a drone over time.

Quick Reply: The annoying droning engine sound