RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

To AC or not to AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 11:27 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Default To AC or not to AC

Well, it is still springtime and we get cool mornings and hot afternoons.
In the morning, I do not want the RX to run the AC. I have a habit of opening and closing windows and keep the HVAC fan going on low.
Now, later in the day, I do want the AC to be ON.
So far, I had to go into the Menu in the Nav system to switch back and forth, which is a hassle.
Am I missing something? Why isn't there a button for it, like in my IS300?
Does everyone else drive with AC in Auto?
Old 05-20-13, 12:52 PM
Flash2k6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the most frustrating thing about our new RX350. No push button manual A/C off button. The irony is that if you don't have NAV, then there's a button. With NAV though you have to go through their menu system. It's slow and tedious, they really need a faster way to turn it off.
Old 05-20-13, 01:01 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an OFF switch next to the AUTO switch on the dash. Am I missing something here? That cuts off the climate control system.
Old 05-20-13, 01:04 PM
Flash2k6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkoozy
There is an OFF switch next to the AUTO switch on the dash. Am I missing something here? That cuts off the climate control system.
Different situation. The issue isn't that we want the system off, we just want the A/C off, but still want the fan on, ie: pull in outside air, don't use the A/C.

There's no way to do this on a NAV based unit without going through the menus to turn it off. On most cars (well actually the RX is the first I've seen that doesn't do it this way), there is an actual A/C button on the dash you can just press to turn off A/C, but still keep the fan going.
Old 05-20-13, 02:58 PM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash2k6
Different situation. The issue isn't that we want the system off, we just want the A/C off, but still want the fan on, ie: pull in outside air, don't use the A/C.

There's no way to do this on a NAV based unit without going through the menus to turn it off. On most cars (well actually the RX is the first I've seen that doesn't do it this way), there is an actual A/C button on the dash you can just press to turn off A/C, but still keep the fan going.
Ahhh, ok. Yes, you are right. I actually found this to be dumb on Lexus part. The compressor is only shut off on the gui screen.

My 2012 IS-F is the same way, I have to hit the climate button on the cluster then use the touch screen to cut the compressor off, if I want to leave the fan running. A little faster than using the stupid joystick. I hate that thing. The touch screen was better!

I gave up on that, and shut the whole system off and crack all the windows.
Old 05-20-13, 05:24 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you hung up on turning off the AC (compressor) and just running the fan? Fuel consumption? Wear and tear on the AC components? Performance?

Both our cars have auto climate and I never consider turning off the AC independently and almost never turn off the entire system. What's the benefit?
Old 05-20-13, 05:41 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The air treated by AC is not the same as fresh air. It is more humid and cooler than outside.

I see no point in running the AC at the expense of fuel economy and performance if there is no need for it. If the windows are open, why have AC on? Pure waste. Just want a simple AC button, not a turn all of it off button. Ironically, it was a Japanese (Toyota?) invention to add the AC button instead of dedicated AC modes for HVAC. Pure genius. Why take it away now?
Old 05-20-13, 08:02 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Vlad_a,

Here I thought I was the only one. I feel PRECISELY as you do about this. It's a real PIA getting to the compressor button, but after you've done it enough times, it's not too bad.

Lexus is trying to eliminate as many "hard buttons" as they can and this is one example.

Have you disabled the auto-recirc function when you start the car in hot weather? I had the dealer that for the 400h and TCH. Another PIA that you should be able to do on your own.
Old 05-20-13, 08:33 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure I can tell when I'm driving that the compressor is actually running. Isn't the AC on switch just an enable switch? I just allows the compressor to run as needed. If you are bringing in outdoor air (open windows) that is cooler than the interior, would the compressor be running? I rarely drive with the windows open, so AC is always enabled to run as needed.

I don't watch the auto-recirc function all the time or rarely glance at it, but I know it modulates outdoor air as temperatures dictates. Again another button I don't change.
Old 05-20-13, 08:53 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The air treated by AC is not the same as fresh air. It is more humid and cooler than outside.

I see no point in running the AC at the expense of fuel economy and performance if there is no need for it. If the windows are open, why have AC on? Pure waste. Just want a simple AC button, not a turn all of it off button. ...
the air from AC is cooler and drier then outside air;
why would you want fresh air going in through the fan at low speed if you have windows open?

I personally keep windows closed most of the time...DF likes them open, but she shuts climate control OFF then.
Old 05-21-13, 04:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Vlad, like myself you drive the (h) and that is an advantage for us. It's totally electric and not driven by the engine at all. Other than possibly using the traction battery energy slightly faster it has nothing to do with your fuel economy. I still remember the days in my RX300 when you could always 'feel' the compressor engage and the pull on the engine but not on ours .

Also I like the aerodynamics of the car as far as city driving. I just hit the fan button 3 or 4 times to totally turn off the system and open a window and/or the sun roof. And turning it back on is as simple as hitting the 'auto' button. I've noticed in those situations there is some flow through the vents.
Originally Posted by vlad_a
The air treated by AC is not the same as fresh air. It is more humid and cooler than outside. We all grew with different systems and 'basic' technology. Now that we have more technology we just need to adapt . I enjoy finding the work arounds.

I see no point in running the AC at the expense of fuel economy and performance if there is no need for it. If the windows are open, why have AC on? Pure waste. Just want a simple AC button, not a turn all of it off button. Ironically, it was a Japanese (Toyota?) invention to add the AC button instead of dedicated AC modes for HVAC. Pure genius. Why take it away now?

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-21-13 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 05:29 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this same complaint a year or so ago when I first got my RX.
Lexus got most things right but not having an AC off button is just silly.
Old 05-21-13, 07:19 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Vlad, like myself you drive the (h) and that is an advantage for us. It's totally electric and not driven by the engine at all. Other than possibly using the traction battery energy slightly faster it has nothing to do with your fuel economy. I still remember the days in my RX300 when you could always 'feel' the compressor engage and the pull on the engine but not on ours .

Also I like the aerodynamics of the car as far as city driving. I just hit the fan button 3 or 4 times to totally turn off the system and open a window and/or the sun roof. And turning it back on is as simple as hitting the 'auto' button. I've noticed in those situations there is some flow through the vents.
Jim, we are also at a disadvantage. When the engine is not running, the AC makes a high-pitched noise when it is on. It is a little annoying when stopped with the windows open.
Old 05-21-13, 08:23 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

80% of the time I have my climate system completely shut off, winter or summer. Only use it when it's brutally cold or extreme heat or to clear windows. During a normal winter day, my trips are mostly 15 or 20 minutes and I have a winter coat and gloves anyway, and my **** is heated, so I typically don't need heat from the climate system. In spring and summer I will go windows down until I can't bare it, I love the outside air.

Our winters here are long enough as it is, but so many people I know run to their A/Cs home and auto as soon as the temp outside hits 70. Me personally, by the time May rolls around I'm thankful winter is finally done, I don't need to worship the cold by spending my summer in a refrigerator. My wife disagrees with me though, she likes her entire life within a 2 degree range.
Old 05-21-13, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Vlad, i keep the AC on all the time. I can't be bothered switching it off every time I want to open the windows. With the AC being electric powered on the RXh, I don't feel guilty doing just that. And frankly sometimes the two make for a good counterbalance. On those cool mornings I manually adjust the temp up a few degrees, then turn it down later when it's warmer. For the most part though the fan is at a low speed. I'm not a big fan of artificial cold.

I'm not sure what you mean by mileage and performance being affected by the AC. I've crawled in traffic watching the MPG tick upwards with the AC on. If I want more power, I'll switch eco mode off. Not familiar with the noise you mention when idling. Most of the time I'm too busy listening to the stereo. I'll check it out later on the drive home. Temps are going up to the mid 80s.

Quick Reply: To AC or not to AC