RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil like drips on RX350 '13 after sitting 12 hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 08:58 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil like drips on RX350 '13 after sitting 12 hours

I have a '13 350 F sport with AWD that has only 1k on the odo. It sat for the last week and when I pulled it out of the garage yesterday I noticed a very small puddle of liquid that was oily. I wiped it up with a paper towel and it was slightly yellow like oil or power steering fluid. Didn't have a smell because there wasn't much and I see it seems to have originated from just around the oil drainage pan but up higher than the bolt. I can't get any further to see where it is specifically. Could this just be the seals settling in and a little fluid leak happens and then disappears.

The car sat overnight and there was a puddle smaller than a dime where a couple more drops had fallen. With the condenser on the AC sweating I didn't know if this was just water blowing back into other components and then mixing or just a little power steering fluid. All levels on the car are good and it seems when the engine is hot the seals are tight. The right front drive shaft has a little darker spot on it as a few other components do as well. Could just be grime though too.

Trying to avoid taking it to the dealer as they always damage something as of late and since the engine is breaking in, if this was a result of a different engine oil that was thinner for the break in process.
Old 05-20-13, 09:17 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd definitely keep a watch on it. You're engine oil when new or 'fresh' is hard to see on the dip stick. And it's the same new as later. 0w20w synthetic. These cars do not have a break in oil.
Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I have a '13 350 F sport with AWD that has only 1k on the odo. It sat for the last week and when I pulled it out of the garage yesterday I noticed a very small puddle of liquid that was oily. I wiped it up with a paper towel and it was slightly yellow like oil or power steering fluid. Didn't have a smell because there wasn't much and I see it seems to have originated from just around the oil drainage pan but up higher than the bolt. I can't get any further to see where it is specifically. Could this just be the seals settling in and a little fluid leak happens and then disappears.

The car sat overnight and there was a puddle smaller than a dime where a couple more drops had fallen. With the condenser on the AC sweating I didn't know if this was just water blowing back into other components and then mixing or just a little power steering fluid. All levels on the car are good and it seems when the engine is hot the seals are tight. The right front drive shaft has a little darker spot on it as a few other components do as well. Could just be grime though too.

Trying to avoid taking it to the dealer as they always damage something as of late and since the engine is breaking in, if this was a result of a different engine oil that was thinner for the break in process.
Old 05-20-13, 09:39 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Put a paper tower under it overnight. Then check if it burns. If it's flammable - it is oil based, if not - water based*

It is possible that if the oil was topped-off during the prep process that some of it spilled and is now making its way down. I had that happen to me a couple times in my IS when I changed my own oil and poured the oil too fast.

Although I don't like taking my vehicles to the dealer as well, it may be prudent to do so just so there's a record of a problem. So if your engine seizes due to oil or other liquid running low, you would not be responsible.

* I am not responsible for any damage done during this test
Old 05-20-13, 11:18 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I'm going to keep an eye, but this is not even half a teaspoons worth of fluid. And in the first 2 months I never had this happen. Only since we've had two cars. And this one is parked over. Also hadn't used the A/C much till lately, so I'm not worried about fluid loss yet, but what it could become and that it's even happening.
Old 05-21-13, 09:08 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a similar problem with our RX. Turned out to be grease from the axle boot getting on the engine and then dripping down. They replaced the boot and haven't had any more leaks.
Old 05-21-13, 11:53 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Take it to your dealer. There shouldn't be any leaks.
Old 05-21-13, 08:15 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TomT127
Had a similar problem with our RX. Turned out to be grease from the axle boot getting on the engine and then dripping down. They replaced the boot and haven't had any more leaks.
I have seen anymore in a couple days. This being the first time it's gotten hot, might just be some excess grease that heated up since its around the engine. But I'm not sure how it could be getting on the engine as the boot sits beneath it.

Thanks for letting me know though. I had traced the drips to this area. So I'm at two days without anymore drops. So very random. But I also had a VW sedan that the first spring I had this wax like substance drip out of the bottoms of the doors onto the running boards. Turned out it was normal too. Never had any more drips after the season ended.
Old 05-21-13, 08:30 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I've never had a single oil drip from any of my Lexus since 1995. As mac12 says, if the problem reoccurs and you have not dinked with anything under the hood, don't even ask the question here on the boards, just take it in for service. That's what warranty service is all about.
Old 05-21-13, 08:38 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't understand your concern with having the dealer take a look. I've had a transmission changed on an LS 430 ,(they recalled 13.000 of them), valve springs replaced on an LS 460 (model wide recall), air conditioner condenser replaced for noise (LS 430), leather driver's seat replaced (LS 430), all rugs replaced on an LS 430. Never had a problem with dealer maintenance and all covered under warranty. Lexus sent me a $200 gift gas credit card for the inconvenience of the transmission change out.
Old 05-22-13, 07:21 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

The issue is I have had the dealer damage both of my new cars on their first and only trip in for service. Door ding and the other the skirt got scraped by the tech not knowing how to use a lift. So if its just a little excess grease and it never does it again, I'm more than happy to just wait and see. Besides, next closest dealer is an hour away. So if it's not critical, that was why I posted. I'm not as fortunate as others on here who have a competent service department. Mine is overly busy with little room to store the cars and techs that don't have detail oriented mindsets without going into too much detail.
Old 05-22-13, 10:15 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Put a paper tower under it overnight. Then check if it burns. If it's flammable - it is oil based, if not - water based*

* I am not responsible for any damage done during this test
LOL, you forgot to recommend checking with the local authorities about obtaining a paper towel burning permit.

Old 05-22-13, 01:41 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

He was a pyro as a child. Now he teaches others.
Old 05-22-13, 01:46 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
He was a pyro as a child. Now he teaches others.
And I tried to hide it so well.
Old 05-22-13, 01:48 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Droid13
LOL, you forgot to recommend checking with the local authorities about obtaining a paper towel burning permit.

Only applicable in CA.