RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

need help w/ BT/USB streaming

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 09:02 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help w/ BT/USB streaming

I tried searching the forum (and manual), but did not find the answer I am looking for..

I have Samsung Galaxy S3 mini that works well in my RX (as phone), and I'd like to steam music and have a couple of questions:

1. can I stream music in loseless format (WMA), or only in MP3 format?

2. can I stream music via USB? if yes- how sound quality via USB compares to BT?

thanx

PS
asking questions before I transfer music files on micro SD card - I don't want to do it twice...
Old 05-19-13, 07:39 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I've never tried the lossless specific codec for WMA, so I can't say for certain, but if you want to see if the RX is capable of handling any particular audio encoding, the best way is to throw it on a USB stick and plug it in (yes, you can play audio files from a USB stick, if you were referring to music from the phone's micro SD card, that is a yes too either via BT or if you plug your phone into the USB port and turn on the phone's USB storage feature on).

In general though, I've found (at least on by 2010) that the RX doesn't have a very wide range of supported audio codecs. I've got a modest library of about 500MB of various MP3s and while all tracks play fine on my computer, my phone, and in my Sienna, in the RX it will refuse to play about 1 out of every 15 or so. I haven't narrowed down what encoding those particular MP3s are using yet. On my to-do list as some of my favourites won't play :-(

As far as BT vs USB quality, I really haven't noticed much of a difference. If you care so much about using a lossless format, you already care a lot more than I do so my opinion here probably means nothing to you.

In general though, using a USB interface is better because you can manage file selection using the nav screen (although it's a pain when driving because it won't let you scroll while in motion except using the steering wheel controls). When using BT, you have even less control in the RX, BUT, if you are managing your play and selection directly on your phone using a mount, then it could be a better experience if you can manage not to drive into a bus shelter doing it.
Old 05-20-13, 04:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, to just add on to Andy's great advice, check out p318 of this manual for MP3/WMA formats supported by your 2010 RX. You'll find other compatibility info related to music sources in that area of the manual as well.
Old 05-20-13, 09:13 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, to just add on to Andy's great advice, check out p318 of this manual for MP3/WMA formats supported by your 2010 RX. You'll find other compatibility info related to music sources in that area of the manual as well.

Guys,

thanks a lot-exactly what I was looking for.
The reason I don't want USB stick is that I have a mini-USB charging cable prmanently connected to RX, so I can charge my phone if it goes low.
I did try earlier today to play WAV file from a USB stick-RX did not detect the file (I use the USB as back up for my pictures, I had only one music file there to "test" RX.
Anyway, I will have to try when I get micro-SD card to see which format(s) works. I listen to classical music, so the sound quality is important to me ...
Old 05-21-13, 07:52 AM
Droid13
Racer

For a couple of bucks, you can pick up a USB auto charger adaptor and charge your phone from there, leaving the audio USB port for a USB stick. I use a dual USB charger so I can charge two phones at once if need be, plus have my USB stick always available. I like using the USB stick more than using my phone simply because I don't want to bother messing with the phone or having to mount it somewhere.

On a side note, I did a little experiment last night. I took a file that would not play from my USB stick, and I was able to play the exact same file using BT from my phone. I'm not familiar enough with the technical specs of BT to know if BT is just transmitting the original file, or if it's decoding the file on my phone, and re-encoding it for transmission over BT to the RX, but it definitely makes a difference.
Old 05-21-13, 08:11 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy, without getting all technical on terminology (I'd have to go research some of the acronyms so someone didn't correct me here. ) ...when you play music through your truck via BT, the phone in your case is doing all the heavy-lifting on audio formats -- so whatever MP3/MWV formats your phone supports and could play standalone will play through the truck. It's why for example, folks can get some apps like Pandora on their phone to play through BT to a vehicle when the auto has no idea what the app is. As long as the app is written to send sound out through BT as a music stream your Lexus supports, the truck is happy to just pipe it through.

If you plug say a "dumb" USB stick into your truck, there is nothing between it and your truck to do the decoding and handling of the music file folders and formats, so your truck has to try to figure it out. No car from any mfgr has the support most PC or Mac apps do in terms of sheer number of variations that can be produced and played back. That's why one has to be aware of details on file structure and what audio formats a vehicle (or 3rd party head unit for that matter) supports before building a CD, DVD, or USB device with custom music files -- and you don't have to if playing music via BT.

Make sense? Hope that helps.
Old 05-21-13, 01:24 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

USB should be superior to BT because it's a connected medium vs. wireless for BT which might be susceptible to other signal interference and disconnect.
usb 2.0 has a theoretical max of 480Mb/s vs. BT 12 Mb/s if I recall those number correctly.

Also make sure your usb stick is formatted with fat32 for it to be recognized by the RX. Mine was formatted with NTFS which is great for my PC but unreadable by RX so I had to reformat it with fat32.

I don't know why Lexus didn't give us 2 usb ports like in some other models. It's a BIG suv with lots of space for another port for cry out loud.
Old 05-21-13, 03:22 PM
Mweuch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, without getting all technical on terminology (I'd have to go research some of the acronyms so someone didn't correct me here. ) ...when you play music through your truck via BT, the phone in your case is doing all the heavy-lifting on audio formats -- so whatever MP3/MWV formats your phone supports and could play standalone will play through the truck. It's why for example, folks can get some apps like Pandora on their phone to play through BT to a vehicle when the auto has no idea what the app is. As long as the app is written to send sound out through BT as a music stream your Lexus supports, the truck is happy to just pipe it through.

If you plug say a "dumb" USB stick into your truck, there is nothing between it and your truck to do the decoding and handling of the music file folders and formats, so your truck has to try to figure it out. No car from any mfgr has the support most PC or Mac apps do in terms of sheer number of variations that can be produced and played back. That's why one has to be aware of details on file structure and what audio formats a vehicle (or 3rd party head unit for that matter) supports before building a CD, DVD, or USB device with custom music files -- and you don't have to if playing music via BT.

I was thinking about the exact same thing that whatever plays on the phone should be able to play thru the bluetooth I would think. But I could be wrong.
Old 05-24-13, 07:47 PM
m1964
Intermediate

+++YES it does make alot of sense
Old 05-28-13, 09:12 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Default short update

to anyone interested in this topic:

I can stream music from my Samsung Galaxy3 Mini in any format: WAV (CD quality loseless), WMA loseless at 768KbS, or wma 320/192KbS, or MP3 format(any bit rate)
The connection is very reliable and there is definite sound difference between CD quality WAV and 192Kb MP3/WMA.
HOWEVER: when I stream music via BT I cannot change folders/discs, the only thing I can do is to change tracs in the same folder. In order to change disc/folder I have to go into the phone's music player so it defeats the purpose of the hands-free device.
I am wating for a new USB stick, but from what I saw the RX read MP3 files at 320 and 192 Kbs, and read WMA files at 320 and 192 Bps; I could see a track I recorderd at WMA 768kbs (WMA loseless) on the car/radio menu, but RX would not play that track.
I hope that I can advance from folder to folder when using USB stick plugged in, I would then record everything at 320Kbs and have ability to control music files from steering wheel.
I will update when I get the USB stick.
Old 05-29-13, 07:54 AM
Droid13
Racer

Playing from USB, you can advance from folder to folder. There is a limitation if you have nav, the folder and track selection screens will not let you use the page scroll feature when the vehicle is in motion.
Old 05-29-13, 08:08 AM
vorbidan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a full control of your phone from the nav screen or steering wheel - try one of the products by vaistech (www.vaistech.com). Those guys created some amazing things
Old 05-31-13, 05:43 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vorbidan
If you want a full control of your phone from the nav screen or steering wheel - try one of the products by vaistech (www.vaistech.com). Those guys created some amazing things
interesting stuff-seems a bit too much for what I want to do; I will try USB stick at 320Kbs first; we have plenty of traffic lights to change folders ...