RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

First-time poster looking to buy first Lexus - and I'm confused!

Old 05-13-13, 07:11 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time poster looking to buy first Lexus - and I'm confused!

I've been tasked by my parents to help them purchase their first Lexus, and they've decided on an RX. I've been looking over the packages on the lexus website, but I'm still a bit confused and was hoping the community here could help me nail down the exact package that I need to be looking for.

So far, these are the must have features that my parents want in their new car:

+AWD
+navigation
+blind spot monitor

Other luxuries that they'd like (and I'd assume would come along with any package) are things like heated/vented seats, backup camera, parking assist, and HID headlamps. My parents would like to purchase within a month, so there's some time to do some searching around and negotiating to get the best deal!

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
Old 05-13-13, 07:45 PM
velopod
Driver School Candidate

Lexus website is awful for trying to decide options! I had issues as well when ordering my wife's car. She wanted basically all the things you mentioned which really gets a fully loaded RX (MSRP about 50-51K). Basically you want the Comfort, Premium and Luxury packages.

There is a large thread re: prices/lease deals paid. In short, pay no more than invoice and go down from there from what I could ascertain.
Old 05-14-13, 03:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, eyespii. The Lexus website can be confusing but it'll show the builds available in your area when you put in your zip code. Not to say that's all you'll find. It's just what they determined to be most popular. Based on what your parents are looking for, you want the comfort and premium packages with BSM and navigation options.

Velopod is referring to this thread to get an idea about pricing. Remember it's only a guide. Start by e-mailing a few dealers stating what you're looking for and what you want to pay after doing your homework. End of month is coming up too. Use that to your advantage. Good luck.
Old 05-14-13, 09:36 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are looking for just about the car we have. We have the comfort pkg, premium pkg, blind spot monitor system, navigation system, and the parking assist (which is nice because it tells you how close things are both in front and in back of you when parking). The MSRP will come in just over $51K.
Old 05-14-13, 12:37 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

awesome - thanks for the advice! I wish the lexus site would allow you to select individual comfort/premium packages to make it a little easier to shop. Guess that's why we have great communities like this one!
Old 05-14-13, 12:57 PM
robartin
Driver School Candidate

This site is a great resource, you're lucky to have found it before buying!
Old 05-14-13, 01:19 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by robartin
This site is a great resource, you're lucky to have found it before buying!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 05-15-13, 04:58 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the replies. I've looked around on this forum, and seems like the consensus for how to get the best deal is to get the dealers to bid against each other for my sale via email. I've never tried this method before, but it seems way better than spending the day sitting in the hot seat with a bunch of dealers. Will probably spend this weekend or next doing some test drives, and then will send out the emails after the memorial day weekend crush.
Old 05-15-13, 09:33 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

Quick question - I've forgone the lexus website when getting the specs on the car, and I'm using edmunds instead. It appears to me that the premium and luxury packages are mutually exclusive - you either get one or the other, and not both, am I seeing this correctly?
Old 05-16-13, 10:11 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eyespii
Quick question - I've forgone the lexus website when getting the specs on the car, and I'm using edmunds instead. It appears to me that the premium and luxury packages are mutually exclusive - you either get one or the other, and not both, am I seeing this correctly?
Luxury is same as premium plus you get additional features for almost $3,000 more. You get one or the other

The optional Premium Package for the 2013 RX 350 ($2,260) consists of leather seats; three-position memory for the driver's seat, steering wheel, and mirrors; power glass sunroof; power-folding electrochromic outside mirrors; rear armrest storage with lid; and roof rails.

The Luxury Package ($5,020) includes all the content of the Premium Package, plus power front seat cushion extenders, heated wood-and-leather-trimmed steering wheel, illuminated scuff plates, smog-sensing automatic interior air recirculation, headlamp washers, and 19-inch wheels with Superchrome finish
Old 05-16-13, 11:49 AM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

great - thanks!
Old 05-19-13, 04:19 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone been able to purchase an "off-the-shelf" RX with HUD and DRCC/pre-collision, but without including the rear-seat entertainment?
Old 05-19-13, 04:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Has anyone been able to purchase an "off-the-shelf" RX with HUD and DRCC/pre-collision, but without including the rear-seat entertainment?
I highly doubt a dealer would have one of those on the lot unless someone cancelled their special order. They're not that common. I'd definitely opt for HUD but not DRCC/PCS because it has limited use IMO. DRCC is ineffective in traffic because the length before it detects cars in front is not that long on the highest setting. Even on less traveled roads, the RX will slow down if someone passes you and then gets in your lane. I rarely use it. As far as PCS, it's great but I almost wish it was separate from DRCC. The seat belts tighten up when braking hard and quickly. The RX feels like it'll stop on a dime. Obviously I haven't tested how effective it is in a crash but it'll probably help.
Old 05-19-13, 05:23 PM
eyespii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
I highly doubt a dealer would have one of those on the lot unless someone cancelled their special order. They're not that common. I'd definitely opt for HUD but not DRCC/PCS because it has limited use IMO. DRCC is ineffective in traffic because the length before it detects cars in front is not that long on the highest setting. Even on less traveled roads, the RX will slow down if someone passes you and then gets in your lane. I rarely use it. As far as PCS, it's great but I almost wish it was separate from DRCC. The seat belts tighten up when braking hard and quickly. The RX feels like it'll stop on a dime. Obviously I haven't tested how effective it is in a crash but it'll probably help.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like cars with HUD are just as hard to find as cars with DRCC.
Old 05-20-13, 09:43 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Seems like cars with HUD are just as hard to find as cars with DRCC.
I agree with Anita re the usefulness of DRCC. I'd only consider it if a significant portion of my driving was long drives on interstates. In the Northern VA area where I live and do 90% of my driving it would almost never be used.

My 2013 RX450h with HUD (among other things) was special ordered. I never saw (while I was buying) nor have I even heard (on the forum) of any US dealers including that relatively pricey option on any standard builds.