RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone buy their tires at Costco?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 12:31 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone buy their tires at Costco?

I'm soon going to get the originals replaced. I'm still under warranty though, and I'm wondering if I get them at Costco, albeit cheaper, would it void the warranty? Is it advisable to just get them at the dealer?
Old 05-13-13, 12:42 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

parents always get them from costco, they have a pretty good warranty on their tires.

free rotation and balance (if you have square setup)
Old 05-13-13, 01:07 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires have nothing to do with warranty. Costco does have good price sometimes. But one thing you have to keep in mind, their warranty is not with the tires but with the person who bought the tires. So if the car changes owner, no any coverage. Most of the time they won't tell you this, but printed on the back of the receipt.
Old 05-13-13, 01:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've only purchased tires from the dealer once, mostly because i wasn't happy with the OE choices. It hasn't affected my warranty at all. I would check the dealer's website for coupons. I had one for a free alignment with the purchase of four tires and was eligible for a rebate from the manufacturer. Plus the tires turned out to be cheaper than my favorite tire guy. Not sure how much money you'd save from Costco but the additional discounts you can get from the dealer may make it worth your while.
Old 05-13-13, 03:08 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
I'm soon going to get the originals replaced. I'm still under warranty though, and I'm wondering if I get them at Costco, albeit cheaper, would it void the warranty? Is it advisable to just get them at the dealer?
If you have one these places near you http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/***...50&code=016074 you can't go wrong. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-13-13, 04:26 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've purchased tires from Costco and gotten excellent service. I have even special ordered tires that they don't normally stock with great results. It is always a good idea to get a few quotes from tire dealers (Costco, America's Tire, etc.) before getting a quote from the dealership.
Old 05-13-13, 04:44 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
...It is always a good idea to get a few quotes from tire dealers (Costco, America's Tire, etc.) before getting a quote from the dealership.
I agree. My last two Lexus Service Advisors (at two dealerships) specifically told me they would price match any documented deal from a major tire competitor, AND they would provide the tire and road hazard policy on those tires that they can't offer on the OEMs. ...with that, well, I know I'll shop a bit and the see if the Lexus dealer can do the work. It's of great value to me to go to one place if I have tire, TPMS, etc problems and not have to worry if it's covered by Lexus Warranty, a different tire or 3rd party warranty, my Lexus Dealer, or my Lexus Extended Warranty -- I'll let them sort it out. As much as I like Costco, well, if it doesn't cost me any more, I'll take the amenities at my Lexus dealership any 'ol day.
Old 05-13-13, 06:12 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I always buy my tires at Costco.
They always have a promo every month. Now it's $70 off for Michellin. ( 4 tires)

In addition to free wheel rotation and alignment for the life of the tires, ( $20 for toyota and $90 Lexus each time)
You get free repairs as well.
I recently have a nail on one of my tires, too much construction on the 405 and 5 makes all our cars a magnet for nails and debris
I know, if i bring it to a tire repair center, that's going to cost me $20.

So when doing comparison, have these extra services in mind. Consider them in your calculation.
Old 05-13-13, 06:30 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Hmm well I was looking seriously at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Normal price at Costco is around $250 per tire vs. $307 at Lexus dealer. With the $70 coupon, it will be $930 vs $1228 at Lexus.

I'm assuming these prices include labor?

Anyway I will call Lexus tomorrow and see if they will match the price. If I can get it done at a discount at Lexus I'd prefer that, not only for the amenities but also because I will get points on my Lexus credit card.
Old 05-13-13, 10:14 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco doesn't do alignment. I think you meant wheel balancing.

Originally Posted by markrivers
I always buy my tires at Costco.
They always have a promo every month. Now it's $70 off for Michellin. ( 4 tires)

In addition to free wheel rotation and alignment for the life of the tires, ( $20 for toyota and $90 Lexus each time)
You get free repairs as well.
I recently have a nail on one of my tires, too much construction on the 405 and 5 makes all our cars a magnet for nails and debris
I know, if i bring it to a tire repair center, that's going to cost me $20.

So when doing comparison, have these extra services in mind. Consider them in your calculation.
Old 05-14-13, 04:07 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

But when you go to Lexus for maintenance, they rotate the tires for free anyway.
Old 05-14-13, 09:01 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
But when you go to Lexus for maintenance, they rotate the tires for free anyway.
That must not be true for all Lexus dealers because when my dealer performed 20k oil change, they asked me if I wanted tire rotation for $50. I though that was outrages so after the oil change, I took my car to NTB across the street and rotated the tires for $12.
Old 05-14-13, 09:16 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
That must not be true for all Lexus dealers because when my dealer performed 20k oil change, they asked me if I wanted tire rotation for $50. I though that was outrages so after the oil change, I took my car to NTB across the street and rotated the tires for $12.
$50 for tire rotation?! Thats ridiculous!

I buy my tires from Discount Tire. A couple months ago they had a deal for a $100 mail in rebate if you purchased any best rated tire. I bought the OEM Michelins that i had before and got the rebate. Also includes free rotations, balance, and air checks. Also they prorate their tires if they wear out before the warranty. Some restrictions do apply, from what i read on the receipt.
Old 05-14-13, 01:15 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I buy my tires from tire rack and, unless they're already mounted on a new set of wheels, I have the dealer do the install. Just be sure to get a written estimate prior to work being done. I had new winter tires mounted on my IS and the total jumped to $170 from $115. I had them look up the original estimate and then price-matching it. Meanwhile, the dealer was giving away $50 gift cards for showing up in the showroom. Can't beat that deal!
Old 05-14-13, 04:08 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
$50 for tire rotation?! Thats ridiculous!

I buy my tires from Discount Tire. A couple months ago they had a deal for a $100 mail in rebate if you purchased any best rated tire. I bought the OEM Michelins that i had before and got the rebate. Also includes free rotations, balance, and air checks. Also they prorate their tires if they wear out before the warranty. Some restrictions do apply, from what i read on the receipt.
Ditto on Discount Tire/Americas tire(same company),,,as they said to me; Lexus ONLY made the car, not the tires; so they balance for free at each free roatation!! Free Flat repair and I purchased road hazard because a nail got in the side of one tire last year!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone buy their tires at Costco?