RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto lift gate confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 06:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

That is really odd. Maybe their TIS Techstream software used to program it is outdated.

Well, there's always an old-school option of rewiring one of the buttons on the gate to the auto-open button in the dash.
Old 05-23-13, 09:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Dave, the tech at my dealer said it was a matter of knowing programming. As I recall three years ago when I had it done the option wasn't even listed. He wouldn't tell me what he did but it took all of 10 minutes. And if you look through the thread in post #11, you're not the only one who has been throught the same frustration. I guess it's time to get back on the phone with Lexus Canada again.
Old 06-22-13, 06:06 AM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The saga continues. I called Lexus Canada again and they opened a file on my concern saying they would research the problem. After about 10 days a lady got back to me. From what I can gather the extent of their research was to talk to the dealership who told them it couldn't be done on my vehicle. She said I didn't have the option on my vehicle. After some discussion I convinced her I do indeed have a power lift gate but she insists I don't have the auto open option. This per the dealership. Long story short still no joy. When I asked what option package it would be in she said I would have to ask a sales person. The conversation ended with me saying I would have to find a dealership that could do it and her saying let her know how I had it done.

There is only the one dealership in our are and I would like to find a dealership that knows where to go in the computer to activate this option. I live in Manitoba Canada and winter in Yuma AZ. Has anyone had it done at a dealership close to or on my route South? I'm flexible as to route but don't want to go a huge amount out of my way to get it done.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 06-22-13, 06:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave, unless someone on here with more direct knowledge (there very well may be) chimes in, I'd call a couple of big city US dealers on your route and ask for the 'tech' guy. If you find one, then you call call your Lexus Canada lady back with the info . Now bear in mind, some specs such as that may be different in the US models but on that feature I suspect they're the same.
Originally Posted by dlchandler
The saga continues. I called Lexus Canada again and they opened a file on my concern saying they would research the problem. After about 10 days a lady got back to me. From what I can gather the extent of their research was to talk to the dealership who told them it couldn't be done on my vehicle. She said I didn't have the option on my vehicle. After some discussion I convinced her I do indeed have a power lift gate but she insists I don't have the auto open option. This per the dealership. Long story short still no joy. When I asked what option package it would be in she said I would have to ask a sales person. The conversation ended with me saying I would have to find a dealership that could do it and her saying let her know how I had it done.

There is only the one dealership in our are and I would like to find a dealership that knows where to go in the computer to activate this option. I live in Manitoba Canada and winter in Yuma AZ. Has anyone had it done at a dealership close to or on my route South? I'm flexible as to route but don't want to go a huge amount out of my way to get it done.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 06-22-13, 06:56 AM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

The problem is everyone says it can be done, including a local Toyota dealer, until they hook up their Techstream. Then they come up with the "it's not an option" routine. I'm convinced they are looking in the wrong area for the programming but the attitude is they're the experts and I'm only a customer and blow me off with excuses..
Old 06-24-13, 09:24 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope I'm reading your thread correctly! If so, you're not talking about opening the hatch using the button on the dash, or on the remote. As I read it, you want to have the lift gate open using the motor that drives it when using one of the other buttons (dash or remote), when you push the release pad on the door itself. Am I right?

I too, was initially told that it couldn't be done that way. However, the tech (not the service writer) knew how to do it, so I had it reprogrammed on our 2010. Then I had it done on our new 2013, too. Although I find it annoying to have to wait for it to open after pushing the release at the back of the car, my wife like it. She wins.

I did notice the other day when I was washing it, that if you push the release twice, it releases the door from the drive, and you can open it manually! It's a rare win/win, where we both have our preference addressed!
Old 06-29-13, 12:54 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dlchandler
Well I took the car in yesterday. They again hooked it up and came back with the same answer. They showed me the computer screen and explained what I was looking at. The option is not there. They said this is not the first 2010 or 11 this has happened to. Guess I will have to open the lift gate old school from the back. Good thing is, it works automatic with the fob or dash button.

Thanks for all the input from the forum.

Dave
Dave, that is so strange. There was a thread on this same issue a while back; and, of course, it seemed that some Lexus dealerships claimed to not be able to program this and other dealerships could program it. Have you tried another Lexus dealership? I live in Tampa, FL, and my dealership was able to do it. I think you live in Canada, right? Any other fellow RX-owners in Canada that were able to get this feature turned on?

In fact, on that same discussion thread, I think some posted a pic of the computer showing the settings.
Old 06-30-13, 05:38 AM
dlchandler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Dave, that is so strange. There was a thread on this same issue a while back; and, of course, it seemed that some Lexus dealerships claimed to not be able to program this and other dealerships could program it. Have you tried another Lexus dealership? I live in Tampa, FL, and my dealership was able to do it. I think you live in Canada, right? Any other fellow RX-owners in Canada that were able to get this feature turned on?

In fact, on that same discussion thread, I think some posted a pic of the computer showing the settings.
Yes I'm in Canada and I did read that thread. There is no other dealer in the area and I'm not about to go on a road trip in search of one. What I would like is to find someone who had the same response from their dealer as me and on a subsequent visit or visit to another dealer had it done. We go south to Yuma for the winter and ideally would like to find someone along the way that can do it. My dealer can do it on some vehicles but not on others. The litany of excuses as to why is starting to get rather long. Both from the dealer and Lexus Canada.

Thanks for the reply

Dave.
Old 07-01-13, 04:11 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I spent an hour or so with my laptop hooked up and tried every power lift gate option I could set.

I found the dash button could be set for either long or short press. It was defaulted to long press so I changed it to short. There is also an option to have the warning tones sound continuously while the gate is operating.

As for the switch at the gate, there are a number of settings which, at least to me, poorly labeled for function. I ran through them all, and found these functions:

Unlock gate only or all doors while releasing gate with 1 push.
Unlock doors with first push, release gate with second push.
Unlock doors and power open gate with long press on remote.
Power open gate with short press, but only if door already unlocked.
A few other minor variations of the above.

I even found one combination that would unlock the doors, power open the gate, then close it again after it raised 6in with one short press on remote.

But after trying all the possible combinations of settings, none of them let me power the gate from the rear switch.