RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wheel lock Question and trailer hitch for F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 10:44 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel lock Question and trailer hitch for F Sport

Does anyone know what the diameter of the lugs are for the F sport? I wanted to buy some gorilla wheel locks and on the site it lists 14mm x 1.5 for toyota trucks/SUVs, but the customer service rep said for the 2012 RX 350 it was a 12mm x 1.5. I like the gorilla brand and you get them on amazon for $20.

Also, in case anyone wanted to know about where to get a trailer hitch designed for the F sport- etrailer.com. I confirmed with the actual company that makes it (curt manufacturing) about the install- simple bolt on, and you don't have remove any suspension parts. Lexus still doesn't recommend you tow anything, but I only want it to take my mountain bike around.
Old 05-07-13, 04:25 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear there is hitch for F-sport. My friend had a 2010 rx installed with Curt at Uhaul.

found the instruction on curt website. https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._13143_INS.PDF
If anyone tried it, please post your feedback.

Last edited by Jadon; 05-07-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 07:34 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Cheaper price found on Amazon.
Old 05-08-13, 07:14 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's how to install the hitch:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ll-videos.html

I believe, for F-Sport you would have to remove the damper in the rear.

Both RX350 and RX450h have 3,500lbs towing rating, but only for AWD models. Personally, I don't see a problem installing a hitch on FWD.
Old 05-08-13, 10:00 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

It's the wiring IIRC that makes it difficult for FWD (as in lack of harness access). But if OP is just hooking up a bike rack then wiring is no factor
Old 05-08-13, 10:31 AM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

oh, I thought this Curt 13143 is a different one that won't require damper removal.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Here's how to install the hitch:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ll-videos.html

I believe, for F-Sport you would have to remove the damper in the rear.

Both RX350 and RX450h have 3,500lbs towing rating, but only for AWD models. Personally, I don't see a problem installing a hitch on FWD.
Old 05-08-13, 10:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadon
oh, I thought this Curt 13143 is a different one that won't require damper removal.
My conclusion is based on this post for OEM hitch install:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7886314-post8.html

From what I understand, the damper is attached to the same holes where the hitch would go. If that's the case, I don't see how to install the hitch without its removal. Besides, having a hitch there will likely render the damper useless.
Old 05-08-13, 01:55 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

After reading more, I saw the difference. Yes. The damper needs to be removed. But the good thing about this hitch is you can put the damper back to the hitch. Would the damper still do anything? I don't know. Probably not.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel lock Question and trailer hitch for F Sport-damper.jpg  
Old 05-10-13, 12:56 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

It's hard to say whether it would do anything when put back in place after the hitch is installed. The purpose of the damper (from what I have read) is to absorb small vibrations before they get to the occupants in the car. Would putting a rigid hitch in there eliminate the effectiveness of the damper, even if it was put back on like the instructions say? Not sure. I speculate that the damper may not work as well with the hitch, but the ride quality likely is better with it in either way. Of course, I am not sure I drive aggressively enough to tell if the damper is working anyway.

I guess I could always go the roof top carrier route for my bike, but I have always disliked them.

I just ordered this hitch and will let everyone know if there are any major differences in ride quality after I install it.
Old 05-10-13, 04:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

That looks more like a sway bar/ roll damper rather than anything that dampens vertical motion (bumps) . Or just an added component to stiffen the chassis. Personally I'd put it back in onto the hitch to allow it to continue its function.

Last edited by afpj; 05-10-13 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-17-13, 12:37 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Default F Sport Trailer Hitch Installed- with pics

Hi All. In case anyone was wondering about whether the F sport could be fitted with a trailer hitch while still using all the suspension parts (the rear damper specifically)....it can be done. I have attached two pics. (Sorry if you're not a Michigan fan). It took only about an hour, and everything other than the receiver is hidden under the rear fascia. Only minor cutting was necessary. I do a lot of mountain biking so this was essential for me.

I got it from etrailer.com (it's made by Curt Manufacturing) Cost was about $170 or so, shipping was cheap and no tax.

And after installing it, I am confident that function of the rear damper is intact, after looking how it was installed from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel lock Question and trailer hitch for F Sport-hitch-2.jpg   Wheel lock Question and trailer hitch for F Sport-hitch-1.jpg  
Old 01-15-15, 12:47 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,
I just traded my 2013rx350 that had the tow pkg and oem lexus hitch. which rated it at 4500lb tow capacity.
I was going to move the hitch over to my new 2015 rx350 F sport all wheel dr. when doing a little more home work and talking to a few people at lexus. it seems that it won't work for me. The tow prep pkg (heavy duty transmission cooler and alternator) is an option that can be added to the car but with out it the capacity would be 3500 and further reduced by another 1000lb for the fsport which would also require the removal of the damper and stabilizer.
I love the car to much, so it looks like I will be selling the hitch and getting a beater truck to tow the boat with! lol
anyone have thoughts?

Last edited by kitlz; 01-15-15 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 02:15 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by graphX250
Hi,
I just traded my 2013rx350 that had the tow pkg and oem lexus hitch. which rated it at 4500lb tow capacity.
I was going to move the hitch over to my new 2015 rx350 F sport all wheel dr. when doing a little more home work and talking to a few people at lexus. it seems that it won't work for me. The tow prep pkg (heavy duty transmission cooler and alternator) is an option that can be added to the car but with out it the capacity would be 3500 and further reduced by another 1000lb for the fsport which would also require the removal of the damper and stabilizer.
I love the car to much, so it looks like I will be selling the hitch and getting a beater truck to tow the boat with! lol
anyone have thoughts?
What you have been told doesn't make any sense. First of all, the F sport should come with the tow prep package....unless they decided to NOT include it with the 2015 F sports. The 2013s came with it. And the towing capacity of the RX, even with the tow prep package shouldn't be more than 3500 lbs. The hitch capacity may be 4500, but the car's capacity isn't- or at least I have never heard of that towing capacity for the rx... Someone correct me if I am wrong. And why is the towing reduced by 1000lbs for the F sport? According to the Lexus website, the capacity is still 3500 for the F sport. There are plenty of aftermarket hitches that you can install yourself that will run you less than $200, and will enable you to still use the rear dampener (see above).

My experience is don't listen to anyone at the dealership. When I bought my 2013 F sport, the salesguy told me that F sports ONLY come in black, white and grey, and that no other options could be included in the car- like the heads up display, rear entertainment system, etc. EVEN if I ordered it. He was a moron. I returned the next day with a picture of a red F sport that car and driver had tested. Of course, he had nothing left to say.
Old 01-17-15, 01:23 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12mm x 1.5 per the Gorilla Web site.
Old 03-21-16, 10:55 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I know it's a little older thread, but how is the hitch working out so far?
Originally Posted by viperdoc
What you have been told doesn't make any sense. First of all, the F sport should come with the tow prep package....unless they decided to NOT include it with the 2015 F sports. The 2013s came with it. And the towing capacity of the RX, even with the tow prep package shouldn't be more than 3500 lbs. The hitch capacity may be 4500, but the car's capacity isn't- or at least I have never heard of that towing capacity for the rx... Someone correct me if I am wrong. And why is the towing reduced by 1000lbs for the F sport? According to the Lexus website, the capacity is still 3500 for the F sport. There are plenty of aftermarket hitches that you can install yourself that will run you less than $200, and will enable you to still use the rear dampener (see above).

My experience is don't listen to anyone at the dealership. When I bought my 2013 F sport, the salesguy told me that F sports ONLY come in black, white and grey, and that no other options could be included in the car- like the heads up display, rear entertainment system, etc. EVEN if I ordered it. He was a moron. I returned the next day with a picture of a red F sport that car and driver had tested. Of course, he had nothing left to say.