RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

OBD II link question - tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 08:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

In Australia, they used to offer Toyota OEM system with sensors and a display unit. It probably will work only with it own sensors, but it is OEM.

http://www.thegallboys.com/genuine%2...ng%20page.html
Old 05-07-13, 09:44 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Droooool..... the Aussies get everything right! Why can't we have that?
this makes it even more suspect, the technology is old school for Toyota... I guess even with Lexus, they are watching every penny that goes into the car... great find...but depressing...
Old 07-01-13, 10:28 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the TrackMaster tire pressure sytem as seen in post 13 on the previous page.
It reads tire pressure continuously...so I learned a lot, as I never got out and tested tire pressure during trips...
The unit installed and read all the tires correctly, 33 psi, about 90 deg F. So here is a good reason to set tire pressure at manufacturers recommended levels.

Cruising through the desert in some hot mid day heat, I had an interesting discovery, which took me by surprise. The driver side tires went to 35 psi...as expected, as heat causes air inside the tire to expand. The sun was on the passenger side of the car. After a few hours, the passenger side tires hit 40 psi... yep, the sun can really heat up the black rubber, creating additional air expansion.
So a few things..... had I had my tire pressure set to 33 psi, at 70 deg, I would have prob. had another 3-4 psi increase in tire pressure on the trip.... More importantly, had I had the tire pressure set to 40 psi at 70 degF, (which is how I picked up new RX from dealer) the tires would have became dangerously OVERINFLATED. Based on the condition and age of the tires, possibly a serious hazard. I am not sure what the max. tire pressure is on the RX tires, as they install so many different brands... anyway, one of the reasons I bought this system is to monitor tire pressure while driving...and this was an eye-opener for sure. I under-estimated the power of the sun. Higher tire pressure might increase fuel economy, but beware of the increase in pressure during heat / sun, vs. the temp that u filled the tire with. For some crazy reason, the dealer filled my new RX with 40psi in all tires.... sure glad I inspected this, and ran them down to 33psi... shows the lack of knowledge at dealers.....specially now that I just witnessed how fast tire pressure increases. It only took a few weeks for this system to pay for itself, with new valuable SAFETY information.
Old 05-08-16, 01:08 PM
lenbabin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it amazing and disappointing that Lexus can't seem to do ASL, maps and tire pressure monitoring very well. My Acura TL had a great system even though the low profile tires were so sensitive that it drove me nuts. On a car of the calibre of my 3RX, not sure why Lexus can't display tire pressures, make the radio sound change with speed or show appropriate place-names on a map. Curious.