RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

F Sport Owners Poll- Is your suspension too firm??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 02:40 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F Sport Owners Poll- Is your suspension too firm??

Hi again all. I am scheduled to pick up my F sport this weekend. In my excitement, I have been reading a lot of reviews, and was shocked to read so many that said NOT to bother with the F sport version, since the suspension is "too harsh" and the premium in price isn't worth the "harsher ride given no benefits in performance". I don't base car buying decisions on reviews, and I test drove the base RX 350 as well as the F sport, and can say I really didn't feel that big of a difference in the overall ride. Every other difference in the F sport I preferred- the interior, the exterior styling, the wheels, and the transmission. The F sport turned much better as well, but overall it wasn't anywhere close to firmness of an infiniti FX (which rattled my teeth) or even the firmness of the Acura MDX (which I thought drove much more like a truck).

I realize it comes down to my personal preferences, but my test drive in the F sport was all for 10 minutes. I will drive it again before signing on the line, but I was wondering if you all could give me your impressions have been after having the car a while. For comparison, I am coming from a nissan murano, which had a soft ride, but LOTS of body lean in turns.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-13, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To make this a little more measurable and easier to tally, how about putting a scale from 1 to 5. 1 being "soft" , 3 being "firm", and 5 being "harsh".

Also, we should state tire brand as it will be interesting to make any correlations with comfort.

Comfort rating: 3
Tires: Michelin Latitude Tour HP

In comparison, two Gen 2 RXs I've owned would be a 1 and having driven in a few Gen 3 RXs I'd give it a 1.5 with the 18" wheels; and 2 with the 19" wheels.

Good thread viperdoc and congrats in advance on the F-Sport if you proceed with the purchase (and post in the sticky roll-call F-Sport thread w/pics please).
Old 05-02-13, 05:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

viperdoc, I'd suggest reading this thread not for the article as much as the comments. The RX is well known for its comfortable ride. With the F-Sport, it's stiffer with tighter steering. I imagine less body roll as well. I didn't take any sharp turns with the one I tested but I notice less lean on my plain sport RXh with similar suspension. Don't worry your teeth won't rattle. I'd check the tires before you sign anything. Chances are it'll be Dunlops. Ask the dealer to swap them out if possible to Michelins. I found the Dunlops to be noisy and distracting during the drive. Plus the Michelins will last longer. Good luck.
Old 05-02-13, 05:22 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove both before buying the f-sport. Both cars were on 19" wheels and I couldn't tell much difference. Now the test driving were on smooth surface streets with minimal pot holes. If you drive a lot on gravel sort of roads then it would be different.
I ended up with the f-sport because I like the front bumper and the suspension even though I thought I would never get a car with black interior.
Old 05-02-13, 05:47 PM
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't find the ride too harsh. I did not test drive the Non F-Sport RX though, so I can't do a comparison. At the end of the day, it is all about what is comfortable for you. I have zero regrets about purchasing the F-Sport. The ride is just fine for me and I love all of the extras that make it the F-Sport.
For the record, I have the dreaded Dunolps, but have not found a problem with them. I actually did not realize people disliked them so much until I saw it on the forums. Oh well, next time I need tires I will get something else!

Viper, when you pick up your new ride, don't forget to share some pictures with us!
Old 05-02-13, 06:03 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's too harsh at all. It's sport, it needs some stiffness but it still has Lexus feel IMO
Old 05-02-13, 08:08 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Thanks everyone. Your impressions are the same as my initial ones. I am confident when I drive it again I will be reminded of why I put my deposit down. I drove so many cars in so few days the all started to run together after a while.

I will let you all know how it transpires tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks again
Old 05-06-13, 03:57 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You wont regret the f-sport...Here's my experience...

I had to take my f-sport in to get the clear bra redone due to some bubbling and was able to get a 2013 plain loaner RX on 19" wheels/Dunlops (same tires as my RX f-sport).

In my opinion, the ride of the F-Sport is much better with respect to overall handling. I felt the plain RX to be too relaxed/soft on the road. I spent most of the day highway driving across several highways throughout dallas/fort worth and a decent amount of city driving.

Ride comfort difference is barely noticeable (both ride great), the suspension on the f-sport handles very well during cornering etc. The f-sport grabs the road better around corners and exit ramps. You wont feel like you are going to tip over. Also, I find the 8 spd transmission is more responsive for a more aggressive driver. Yes, the suspension is tighter and stiffer on the f-sport, but not uncomfortable like a truck. I believe lexus put in the right balance...

After I spent a whole day driving the plain RX, I am glad I went for the f-sport version. I hope it works out for you...
Old 05-06-13, 08:07 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Thanks everyone! She is in the garage! I got it in claret mica. It took a few days to actually convince the dealership that they made the f sport in red. They were convinced that it only came in four colors- white, black, grey and silver. Apparently certain colors go to certain areas of the country. So I did some digging and convinced them. They found one in New Mexico at another dealer that they traded for me

And you are were right. One day of driving it and I don't regret it al all. It handles like a sport sedan and is so quiet inside that my wife is jealous I get to drive it every day. I take it back on Wednesday to get the clear bra installed. I am having done on the front part of the hood, the full bumper and parts of the fenders, I a questioning whether I should have done it on the whole hood, though. I think I can add that before I drop it off, but it would almost double the price. Hmmmmmm......what to do.
Old 05-06-13, 08:31 PM
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate

Congrats Viper!
Post some pictures when you have a chance.
Old 05-07-13, 07:01 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
Thanks everyone! She is in the garage! I got it in claret mica. It took a few days to actually convince the dealership that they made the f sport in red. They were convinced that it only came in four colors- white, black, grey and silver. Apparently certain colors go to certain areas of the country. So I did some digging and convinced them. They found one in New Mexico at another dealer that they traded for me

And you are were right. One day of driving it and I don't regret it al all. It handles like a sport sedan and is so quiet inside that my wife is jealous I get to drive it every day. I take it back on Wednesday to get the clear bra installed. I am having done on the front part of the hood, the full bumper and parts of the fenders, I a questioning whether I should have done it on the whole hood, though. I think I can add that before I drop it off, but it would almost double the price. Hmmmmmm......what to do.
On the clear bra on the hood, 1/3 coverage should be plenty. I can normally see road debris and mashed bugs half way up the bra, and not much past that. I think the whole hood would be overkill, 1/2 the hood maybe a good compromise. The RX rides high enough where I don't think you will need it. On my ISF I had almost 1/2 the hood done, as the hood on the ISF is also much longer than the RX hood, and rides alot closer to the pavement.

Enjoy the ride! And congrats...
Old 05-07-13, 10:08 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Here she is, with Pike's Peak in the background
Attached Thumbnails F Sport Owners Poll- Is your suspension too firm??-car.jpg  
Old 05-07-13, 11:09 AM
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate

Very Nice!

Thank you for posting the picture!
Old 05-07-13, 07:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

When the sun shines right on the Claret Mica, it's one heck of a color!