RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 12:06 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
^^^^
Check the driver side in the trunk. You'll find the sub there. The 12-speaker system (non-ML) has that.
It had exceeded my expectations. The surround sound (home theater) is awesome, BTW.

I am also not happy with Toyota for not offering HID headlights on their models, unless they were optioned with top packages, such as Nav. When I got our Prius, I got the lower package, figuring I would add LED housing and lights myself. In 2 years of having it, I never got to it. RX now has HIDs, so problem solved. My IS300 came with HIDs standard. Even the base model had them. Too bad that didn't help the sales numbers.
Which HID's did you buy?
Old 05-10-13, 12:31 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Which HID's did you buy?
OEMs.
With 450h, you are forced to buy either LEDs or HIDs. I wanted HIDs so I found one that was non-LED.
Old 09-30-13, 10:06 AM
zhuosuwang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryten
Yeah, comfort package has the HID's and when I was looking they always came with that if you had Nav! Sucks they got one without the comfort package. Maybe CA has some different options to MA in that regard.
lexus is really a cheap ***..like they said how come they build a high quality suv and selling at expensive price without HID...even my fd's tsx has which only cost him $30,000..and my car is over $50,000
mine has the Navi .but no HID..terrible..and i bought it in LA

Last edited by zhuosuwang; 09-30-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 10:15 AM
zhuosuwang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gholla
Has anyone used Morimoto Elite HID System on 2013 RX 350? I recently upgraded my stock halogen low beam bulbs to HID using this kit (H11) and I am not impressed at all. However, I do think the HID Kit is of great quality, it has something to do with the projector.

Please see the attached picture. It produces a red thick line on the output which becomes a bigger shadow while driving. I don't think its with the bulb since it is happening on both the sides.

Has anyone seen this before and was able to resolve it? Please let me know..!

I also have some issues with the passenger side light, as it is not as bright as the driver side and also not focussing much. I tried to adjust the aiming better, but still no luck.
i just bought a HID kit from xenondepot..did u fix ur problem? ur bulb is 4300K?
Old 09-30-13, 10:31 AM
zhuosuwang
Driver School Candidate

:-) yeah. The only thing that I am unhappy about my RX apart from HID is its audio/speaker system. I always like to have the best audio in my car and just for that reason I had gone for Camry (2009 model) XLE with JBL speakers earlier & I loved them. When I was purchasing RX, I told the salesman that I need premium audio and he said this car has it. It was my mistake that I didn't do much research on RX speaker system and hence didn't know anything about Mark Levinson. If I knew, I would have definitely bought it:-( The current, premium, sound system doesn't even have a powered subwoofer!

Anyways, I have taken care of at least HID now:-)
wow ..finally i found a people who has the same feeling like me..i deeply regret buying this car..
pay more and get less option..especially the HID!!! i should went for the FX37...
Old 10-01-13, 02:59 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

gholla: There shouldn't be any shadows in the light output of the HID bulb. Take a look at this example of the XenonDepot HID kit installed in another RX.

Xtreme 4300K HID kit Installed in a 2013 Lexus RX350:

As you can see there is no shadow from the output. If you have any other questions let me know and we are running our Biggest sale ever on all XenonDepot HID kits right now.

Danny
Old 10-01-13, 06:40 PM
tak06
Driver

Has anyone used Morimoto Elite HID System on 2013 RX 350? I recently upgraded my stock halogen low beam bulbs to HID using this kit (H11) and I am not impressed at all. However, I do think the HID Kit is of great quality, it has something to do with the projector.

Please see the attached picture. It produces a red thick line on the output which becomes a bigger shadow while driving. I don't think its with the bulb since it is happening on both the sides.

Has anyone seen this before and was able to resolve it? Please let me know..!

I also have some issues with the passenger side light, as it is not as bright as the driver side and also not focussing much. I tried to adjust the aiming better, but still no luck.
I believe the problem is not the Morimoto system, it's that your projectors are halogen based not HID, there is a difference in the projectors. Observed the same problem on another Forum when the same issue came up.
Old 10-01-13, 07:57 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

here's another example from Steve XenonDepot D4S-5000K bulbs i've purchased last month, extremely happy with it. I didnt like color output with my stock bi-xenon 4300k matching with LED parking lights.

Old 10-02-13, 07:33 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

tak06: It's the HID bulbs in the HID kit that you purchased. This is not the case with the H11 bulbs in our H11 HID kit. Here is a beam patten pictures of our H11 HID kit installed in an new RX:

**XenonDepot HID Kits are currently priced at the LOWEST price we have ever sold our kits for! ClubLexus members get an additional $25 off the discounted price by using coupon code "CL" upon checkout - for a very limited time.

vince22: Thanks for taking the time to post up some pictures of the XenonDepot D4S 5000k HID bulbs. Glad to hear/see that you're happy with your purchase For those interested, save $20/bulb by using coupon code "CLGB08" upon checkout.

Steve
Old 10-02-13, 07:56 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
tak06: It's the HID bulbs in the HID kit that you purchased. This is not the case with the H11 bulbs in our H11 HID kit. Here is a beam patten pictures of our H11 HID kit installed in an new RX:

**XenonDepot HID Kits are currently priced at the LOWEST price we have ever sold our kits for! ClubLexus members get an additional $25 off the discounted price by using coupon code "CL" upon checkout - for a very limited time.

vince22: Thanks for taking the time to post up some pictures of the XenonDepot D4S 5000k HID bulbs. Glad to hear/see that you're happy with your purchase For those interested, save $20/bulb by using coupon code "CLGB08" upon checkout.

Steve
your're welcome..
Old 10-02-13, 05:59 PM
tak06
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot

Steve

Quite a few individuals in another Forum, different make & model, have installed hid kits in an aftermarket projectors made by "ACA" which were halogen based and had similar light patterns to the OP so I assumed that this maybe the problem here.
I didn't purchase HID kit for the RX350, it already has a O.E. Bi-Xenon lighting. The kit was for another vehicle with "ACA" halogen based projectors.

I read Vince22's post and the new HID bulbs from XenonDepot were installed in a O.E. HID projectored RX350, therefore the cutoff lines would obviously be perfect, try them in a halogen based Lexus projector and OP's pattern may perhaps be duplicated,
just a thought, as the odd shaped pattern are virtually identical to the cutoff pattern with aftermarket "ACA" projectors that I've seen.

Last edited by tak06; 10-03-13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 11:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

tak06: The picture posted above was in a halogen based projector since it uses H11 bulbs. Not familiar with the "ACA" projectors so can't say much about them. From our experience we've never had any pattern issues with our HID bulbs installed in halogen or hid projectors.

Danny
Old 10-03-13, 09:12 PM
tak06
Driver

Originally Posted by vince22
here's another example from Steve XenonDepot D4S-5000K bulbs i've purchased last month, extremely happy with it. I didnt like color output with my stock bi-xenon 4300k matching with LED parking lights.

Sorry if I misunderstood, from the above quote from Vince22 I assumed that he had as per quote
"I didn't like my STOCK BI-XENON 4300 k matching with led parking lights"" that he had the O.E. projectors in his car.

To Steve from XenonDepot: Can you correct me if I'm wrong but does the light refraction on a Halogen based projector differ from a refraction from a HID projector, I would have thought so
as the light amplification would have to be greater on a halogen system vs Hid. thus a different pattern perhaps?
Old 10-04-13, 08:10 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

tak06: We are referencing 2 different pictures ( I think). The picture of the lights shining on a garage in the distance, are of an RX with halogen headlights, using an H11 Xtreme HID kit.

Halogen projectors allow a slight amount of light to bleed upwards to illuminate overhead signs. HID projectors do not have this "light bleed." and therefore have a perfectly clean cut off.

Steve
Old 10-04-13, 10:12 AM
mbrahmer
Driver School Candidate

XD - what bulbs do the driving lights take for a HID conversion?

Quick Reply: HID Question