RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Enform App Suite Trial Extension & Updates

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 08:27 PM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the same email.
What exactly Lexus Enform App Suite service include?
Old 09-04-13, 08:52 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks BertL
The first App Suite 1 year free extension I had to wait a couple of weeks after you, before getting my e-mail. Will be on the lookout for the no annual charge e-mail. We haven't used the App Suite at all, but think we will now give it a good tryout, via Lexus Enform App on our Sprint iPhones.
We renewed our Enform with Safety Connect in July ($139.95) for 1 year, but skipped the Enform Destination services.
Old 09-05-13, 04:43 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlin
Got the same email.
What exactly Lexus Enform App Suite service include?
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...rm/overview.do and click on the "The App Suite" tab
OR look at my post #7 back a ways in this thread for a quick list.
Old 09-17-13, 05:30 PM
BertL

Default iOS7 is not initially supported by Lexus Enform Apps

I received the following email about 3 hours ago: http://view.lexusenformapp.com/?j=fe...70620c747c&r=0

I do not make great use of Lexus Apps as I've indicated in this and other threads, but I have horribly mixed feelings as a result of this email.
  • On the one hand, I really do appreciate Lexus attempting to provide advance notice to registered users their existing Enform App and therefore in-vehicle apps will fail if one upgrades to iOS7 when it becomes available tomorrow.
  • On the other, I sadly must say IMHO this demonstrates Lexus' lack of commitment to the platform and Internet Apps environment in general... Apple has provided pre-releases of iOS7 for months to developers; Apple released the Golden Master (same iOS7 code that will be downloadable to all customers globally tomorrow for their iOS devices) a week ago, and in the last 3 days I've had 2-3 DOZEN apps show up in iTunes for my iPhone and iPad with free updates in preparation for iOS7 availability (everything from games to true business/financial apps) -- some it appears are providing fixes, others using this as an opportunity to seemingly introduce new functionality, and some like Lexus Enform also tied to external devices that have already provided updates so there is seamless support as people update their operating systems. It appears Lexus does not prioritize their Enform Apps and how they are used in their automobiles like many other companies today, so Apple customers that want to upgrade to the latest operating system or buy a new iOS7-only iPhone right away and use Lexus Enform, will have to wait until Lexus resolves their issues. I'm sad.
Me, well, I'll update to iOS7 tomorrow on all my Apple devices. I won't even try Enform Apps on my 2013 RX450h and post the results as I'd planned to here , but will give my iPhone 5 with iOS7 a go on my 2014 MBZ to see if their mbrace application and in-vehicle Apps work or not (I bet it will work just fine).

Despite my sadness hearing of Eiji Toyoda's passing today, I'm very disappointed in my favorite automotive brand tonight. Now, I'll get off my soap box I try to not be on very often around here.
Old 09-20-13, 08:26 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got the update for the Lexus Enform App today (version 2.5.271). Tried it out on the App Suite on the Navigation screen, and everything worked fine via the new iOS7. I have iPhone 5.
Old 09-21-13, 07:51 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, even though it's now free I still won't be using the app suite. It's simply easier to use the phone apps. I'm not sure of the value of adding a " middle man" into the equation, that seems to add very little. Maybe I'm missing something.

Full disclosure, I have only ever used the Pandora app, which has been a bit problematic, contributing to my hesitance to accept. I have absolutely no use for the other apps they have chosen to include. I was told by a Lexus Technology guy earlier this week, that the Pandora app provides ad free listening, but I already subscribe to Pandora One. I don't see a difference.

I wish I knew why Lexus appears to spend so title effort on something that 99% of owner/drivers use on a daily basis. My son has a Ford pick up that has a FAR better electronics suite. The primary screen displays 4 separate functions, making navigation between screens a moot point. I would think that Toyota would be able to focus on the overall functionality/useability of their electronics suite, rather than seemingly useless gimmick apps whose functionality they can't seem to control due to almost constant updates and upgradesl.

I'm curious. Does anyone actually USE any of apps in the app suite on a regular basis?
Old 08-21-15, 08:12 AM
BertL

Old thread, I know, but rather than begin a new one, I thought adding to this made more sense since IMHO there has been only minimal Enform Apps updates since this thread was last updated a couple years back.

I received the attached email from Lexus yesterday... informing me about a new (free) "Destination Search" update, and the Enform App received it's update on-schedule from the Apple Store last night -- ready for use when I got up this morning. Please read details in the attached PDF (to save me retyping), then proceed with my additional comments...

After updating the in-vehicle Apps (see PDF how-to and my notes below) using my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.1, the new Destination Search function appeared on the Apps menu where Bing used to be. I only played with the new capabilities for 5-10 minutes sitting in my garage just now, but I must say, I think Lexus has made some forward strives here.
e.g. I clicked the microphone icon (you can't use the one on your steering wheel as that connects to the onboard voice recognition that with at least my voice is worthless), and said "taco". Rapidly a list of Taco Bells and local taco shops (much better!) came up. I moved my cursor to the one I wanted, clicked and was presented with additional info AND a button that when clicked, droped the address into the Nav, and off-I-could-go to the destination. Pretty slick if you want to use an all-Lexus solution and don't have an Enform Destinations subscription. This free app won't help with road data perhaps becoming dated, but it can definitely reduce some of the ongoing complaints about onboard-Nav POI becoming dated -- which IMHO happens much more often as businesses come and go -- and it helps integrate web functionality with built-in Nav for owners of 2013+ RX.
NOTES:
  • I performed the update using a solid Wi-Fi connection sitting in my garage, but even so, the update took more than 8 restarts to complete over at least a 30-minute timespan. (I personally suspect as I've written about before that Lexus infrastructure supporting Enform Apps is perhaps not super-robust, especially as likely a lot of owners are trying to simultaneously download the update because of it becoming available over night.) When the update gets rolling, if there were no interruptions, I suspect the download could have been done in one straight 5 minute shot using my relatively fast home internet connection.
  • If you receive the "App update unsuccessful" screen, DO NOT press the cancel button. If you do, you throw away anything you've already downloaded, and start over again. Instead, just return to the Apps Menu and when prompted again that there is an update, go ahead and select that option where it will continue the download from where it left off. (Thank you Lexus for that elegant touch.)
  • A reminder: If you get tired sitting in the seat waiting for the download to complete, be sure you leave both your phone AND your FOB on your seat with the door open. Otherwise, your RX's built-in timers will figure out you've left with the FOB and turn your vehicle off, at which time your download will end and you get to start over again. Take it from someone that did that!
Attached Files
Old 08-21-15, 04:19 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Old thread, I know, but rather than begin a new one, I thought adding to this made more sense since IMHO there has been only minimal Enform Apps updates since this thread was last updated a couple years back.

I received the attached email from Lexus yesterday... informing me about a new (free) "Destination Search" update, and the Enform App received it's update on-schedule from the Apple Store last night -- ready for use when I got up this morning. Please read details in the attached PDF (to save me retyping), then proceed with my additional comments...

After updating the in-vehicle Apps (see PDF how-to and my notes below) using my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.1, the new Destination Search function appeared on the Apps menu where Bing used to be. I only played with the new capabilities for 5-10 minutes sitting in my garage just now, but I must say, I think Lexus has made some forward strives here.
e.g. I clicked the microphone icon (you can't use the one on your steering wheel as that connects to the onboard voice recognition that with at least my voice is worthless), and said "taco". Rapidly a list of Taco Bells and local taco shops (much better!) came up. I moved my cursor to the one I wanted, clicked and was presented with additional info AND a button that when clicked, droped the address into the Nav, and off-I-could-go to the destination. Pretty slick if you want to use an all-Lexus solution and don't have an Enform Destinations subscription. This free app won't help with road data perhaps becoming dated, but it can definitely reduce some of the ongoing complaints about onboard-Nav POI becoming dated -- which IMHO happens much more often as businesses come and go -- and it helps integrate web functionality with built-in Nav for owners of 2013+ RX.
NOTES:
  • I performed the update using a solid Wi-Fi connection sitting in my garage, but even so, the update took more than 8 restarts to complete over at least a 30-minute timespan. (I personally suspect as I've written about before that Lexus infrastructure supporting Enform Apps is perhaps not super-robust, especially as likely a lot of owners are trying to simultaneously download the update because of it becoming available over night.) When the update gets rolling, if there were no interruptions, I suspect the download could have been done in one straight 5 minute shot using my relatively fast home internet connection.
  • If you receive the "App update unsuccessful" screen, DO NOT press the cancel button. If you do, you throw away anything you've already downloaded, and start over again. Instead, just return to the Apps Menu and when prompted again that there is an update, go ahead and select that option where it will continue the download from where it left off. (Thank you Lexus for that elegant touch.)
  • A reminder: If you get tired sitting in the seat waiting for the download to complete, be sure you leave both your phone AND your FOB on your seat with the door open. Otherwise, your RX's built-in timers will figure out you've left with the FOB and turn your vehicle off, at which time your download will end and you get to start over again. Take it from someone that did that!
I updated both my cars yesterday, too. In my driveway, using my iPhone 6.
The RX took about 10 minutes and kept asking to be restarted . The ES took about 1 minute.
Both are 2015s
Old 08-21-15, 05:02 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

So on my way to the doctor yesterday morning I wanted to get some last minute directions (a prior destination) and it forced me to update.

It took me a couple miles at 55 for it to do the update via iPhone 5.

I haven't yet seen any advantage nor disadvantage; and will be watching this thread for others' findings in hopes of learning new tricks.

I have found its predecessor to be both helpful and frustrating.
Old 08-21-15, 06:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the update, Bert!
Downloaded the Enform app on my iPhone, which I uninstalled a long time ago.
Just like everyone else, it took 4 tries for me to get the update through.
I haven't used Apps in ages. Doubt that's gonna change.