RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 11:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)

Just when we have that confident "We know it all " feeling, someone comes along with some good info and humbles us.

Earlier this week a 2013 poster gave info on a feature I've had for nearly four years and and didn't know about . It was the dimple near the release for the back deck (on the back deck) that would lock all the doors 'from the back deck'. My 2013 RX450h was manufactured in May of 09 (with that feature), the 1st month of production, and hot-shipped from the port by my dealer in time to have it before the end of June of 09 for a vacation trip (4th of July) to FL. I've got nearly 50k on it and thought I knew every feature. Uh-Oh, a 2013 newbie embarrassed me . I feel like that word broken down.

So.... Let's use this thread to bring up the 'exotic and previously unknown' features such as that one you may have discovered, and think others may not know about, or is not shown in one of the library of manuals we received.

I'm sure there are more. If there's a winner, that person gets an 'attaboy' from Anita ('cause she's prettier than me).
The following users liked this post:
kwbuggy (08-28-23)
Old 04-18-13, 11:48 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhhh, hey, thx there Jim.... its rare someone gets praise on a forum, what more can one ask for? :-) Did you check your manual? I could not find it in my 13 manual, but often they omit features by accident. Obviously I was not the only one who found it, but I just assumed from how the thread was going, not many people knew about it... seems this falls under the "no harm in asking", or in this case, "no harm mentioning it".... many people are helpful on this forum, glad I made a useful contribution to a seasoned pro....
Now, I need to get some of my questions answered :-)
I know, I tend to push the envelope on everything....OCD is not fun :-(
Old 04-18-13, 12:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It is a rare occasion Jim doesn't know a feature as he has sent many of us scurrying to the manuals.

You've really got to look at the pictures closely to see the button, but its in the manuals.

In the 2010 online manual, page 54 Section 1-3 Opening, Closing and Locking the Doors
In the 2013 online manual, page 62 Section 1-3 Opening, Closing and Locking the Doors
Old 04-18-13, 12:11 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Here's one that I believe still works on the later (not sure it works on Jim's earlier) 2010's, but not the '12 RXh.

If you have a key fob on you and your are sitting in the passenger's seat and no one is sitting in the driver's seat, reach over and push the start button for about 40 seconds (I think) and the car will start.
The following 2 users liked this post by DunWkg:
ledz84 (01-09-22), Tstew43 (05-18-19)
Old 04-18-13, 12:38 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

BTW, this one is prob. well known, but maybe NOT by everyone. It's a small one but we start our cars many times a day....so it can really add up.... remember, I'm da Newb. here.... maybe other Newbs might appreciate these...

you press brake, green light comes on start button, u only need to "press n release" the start button,...... no need to hold in Start button till engine starts (like old key ignitions) OTOH, you must keep your foot on the brake, or the ignition sequence will immediately stop. Then, like many cars, you must have foot on brake to move shifter....so....

I now have a fast start-n-go sequence, .... put foot on brake, quickie push n release START button, move hand over to shifter before releasing brake. Now, when in reverse, I can utilize my back up screen fully, as if I wait another 10 - 15 seconds or so, the "phone successfully connected" tag will appear on back up screen, stealing nearly 25% of the top of the screen horizontal. This defeats some of the benefits of the camera, as the top of the screen typically shows cars coming from the left / right.

Took me a few weeks to get the hang of this. I was confused where the priority was in the start sequence, and how to beat the dreaded screen hog message coming from the phone. (C'mon Lexus, you can delay phone connect message when in reverse) The start details are prob. in the manual, but sometimes you read things, and well, not everything is written so clear that it registers as a 1-2-3 real world application.

Also, thx to Vlad, (in another thread which was very fruitful) I finally am satisfied with my lock sequence.... close door, hit dimple on door handle, you get both an audible confirmation, and visual confirmation (mirrors folding inward), without the hassle of taking FOB out of your pocket / purse every time you exit the car.

I am still awaiting Lexus to upgrade the cc FOB so it has a key that works with the 13, then, into the wallet it goes....now, a fully pocket-less key system. Only need to carry wallet, as I have no strong need for the push buttons on the remote with this sequence. (this feature is more important for men, or at least men who don't carry man bags or tons of other keys
RX10 (10-03-20)
Old 04-18-13, 01:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks Jim. I won't make you wear the dunce cap after your comment

My contributions though I'm not sure if they work in later RXs (disclaimer ):

- Press and hold the mute button on the steering wheel until it beeps to turn off the stereo. Very handy when approaching tolls and the like.
- When trying to enter a destinaton, the screen will go to the map screen if you are not already on it. Press the map button by remote touch instead of going through remote touch. Same with getting rid of the 'I agree" screen more quickly.
Old 04-18-13, 01:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Okay, speaking of backup cameras....
I do NOT recommend you try this, significant damage can/may/will occur. While driving down the road at highway speed you can put the car (2010-2012) in reverse and the camera will come on. The reason you may risk your tranny or worse in this maneuver, you can see the trailer you are pulling to make sure all is well.

If you are going too slow I can guarantee you will tear the heck out of everything. The computer seems to prevent that damage at highway speed. Not sure how this was first discovered, I'm guessing someone was testing the shove it into neutral to stop unintended acceleration and missed neutral. You sure as heck do not want to shove it into park at any speed.
tempestv8 (03-09-18)
Old 04-18-13, 01:40 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

oUCH.... that is one risky maneuver....
Which begs the question I have had ever since I got the RX...why is there NOT a selection to bring up the rear camera on a Nav selection??? So simple, and lots of applications...
Old 04-18-13, 01:45 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

OK Jim, gotta ask, cause this was puzzling me...and since this is the "no holds barred" thread... you gotta typo in here somewhere? The dates are not adding up

> My 2013 RX450h was manufactured in May of 09 (with that feature), the 1st month of production, and hot-shipped from the port by my dealer in time to have it before the end of June of 09
Old 04-18-13, 02:18 PM
Cruiter

Judy
The dates are correct. The 2010 450h started the production run in May of 09 (see image below). Mine arrived in the port of Savannah the 3rd week of June 09. I retired from the business from Nalley Acura in '88 and bought the car from Nalley Lexus. They agreed (having a good relation with them) put the car on an early truck to Macon and then send it on up to Roswell GA to get it to me on time rather than wait on others to arrive for a normal delivery shipment. I thought that part was 'priceless' but trust me, even though I got a discount, that 1st one wasn't like now after 4 years and the bleeding isn't quite as bad.

Ok, I made an error, mine is 2010, OOPS

Originally Posted by Dolphin
OK Jim, gotta ask, cause this was puzzling me...and since this is the "no holds barred" thread... you gotta typo in here somewhere? The dates are not adding up

> My 2013 RX450h was manufactured in May of 09 (with that feature), the 1st month of production, and hot-shipped from the port by my dealer in time to have it before the end of June of 09
Attached Thumbnails Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)-imag0402.jpg  
Old 04-18-13, 02:30 PM
Cruiter

Default End of contest prize

Ok, I came up with a prize .
One rule: 1st member to come up with a feature no one can find for that model year in that model year manual. (RX 350 or RX 450h Gen III)

Prize: Serving of Cow (steak) or lamb (leg) or pork (Boston Butt) or fish (fresh salmon) with asparagus and baked spud ALL cooked on my BGE (big green egg) by me and a bottle of red.

Conditions: Gotta RSVP and get yourself to my house on that date . Bringing a date will be ok but winner has to bring 2nd bottle of wine .

What a deal, any claimers ???
Old 04-18-13, 03:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Another one I forgot, if you miss the nav lady's directions, press the map button to have it repeated.

Jim, what if we're vegan or don't drink? Consolation prize please.
Old 04-18-13, 04:33 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Jim,
> Ok, I made an error, mine is 2010, OOPS

ahhhhhh, now the dates make sense :-)
Keep em coming Anita, don't stop now, u are on a roll
(with no animal products in the roll
Kudos on the vegan....
Old 04-18-13, 05:10 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good call Anita as my wife is vegan.
Old 04-18-13, 06:39 PM
Cruiter

Anita,
If I save my yard guys mower clippings, can you tell the difference between those and good ole GA collard greens ??? Hmmm

Of course if you win and go vegan I've also got a green egg cooking pot for veggies like sliced onions, squash, zucchini or most any veggie . And I've got a great tea maker. Can even use it to start the basics for Long Island Iced tea . You're covered.

I'll give you a free great tip similar to yours that I don't think is in the book. Once you start something with the Nav lady, you can always speed it up by just pushing the button when she starts her dialog and it just goes to the next one. Saves a lotta time.
Originally Posted by kitlz
Another one I forgot, if you miss the nav lady's directions, press the map button to have it repeated.

Jim, what if we're vegan or don't drink? Consolation prize please.

Last edited by Cruiter; 04-18-13 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie's humbling the Vets with good info (Tips and Tricks)