RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What is the must have options for RX 450H

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 10:33 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
If you're using Lexus.com to configure your vehicle, don't bother. It's completely useless. It does not represent real builds or what's available.
Agree. It is really confusing on build your Lexus site vs real car window sticker.

Acura seems done better job on this. Only few packages to pick. very clear.
Old 04-18-13, 02:06 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are doing the right thing, ask, ask, ask.... find out now... avoid "gotcha's"
you got some great advise, some things are a question of taste....such as color, or F Appearance package.... IMO, the F Appear. really steps up the car, it rids the dated look, sets it apart from the hundreds of thousands of RX's on the road, as F Appear just started in 13, plus, its a very good looking mod.... not just because its different, but judge for yourself, will surely help re sale though....

BSM and Radar Cruise.... both are superb IMO.... I will never do without these safety features again. They are well executed by Lexus, and, you have to value, how much is avoiding an accident potentially worth? Radar cruise is a joy to use, the stress relief is amazing, its like adding a 2nd driver who never falls a sleep at the wheel. This assumes you spend some time on the freeways, vs. all stop n go traffic.

HUD, clearly a luxury, but if you drive a lot at night, its so impressive to turn off all the interior lights in the car, and have all info you need right in the windshield...the ultra dark interior allows your eyes to see the road so clearly without the interior lighting distraction. I used to do this before I had HUD, and lived without the data, but much nicer with the all relevant info in the windshield, speed, Nav, music, etc. You can test this yourself in your current ride, see if you like the benefits of this...if not, then it just comes down to the safety feature of keeping your eyes straight ahead vs. looking all over the interior.

Proximity sensors.... not a huge deal, but it already saved me from a big DING, so it paid for itself...was pulling in to parking spot, lamp post at front, right side, had a wide base to it, never saw it when pulling in.... sensor picked it up, thought it was a false reading, got closer, sensor went beep beep faster, got out, and whamo, strangest concrete base I ever saw on a lamp post, would have dented brand new ride. So already, glad I splurged, I hate dealing with body shops, paint matching, mechanics, etc.

ML, well, as mentioned, at this level, just get it...its worth the $1k add, but don't get your hopes up if you like loud music... its something after the fact, very hard to install. If you plan to tow, make sure you at least get the wiring to the hitch area...easy when building the car. Its possible they do this with all RX's, not sure.
Old 04-22-13, 07:02 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dolphin
You are doing the right thing, ask, ask, ask.... find out now... avoid "gotcha's"
you got some great advise, some things are a question of taste....such as color, or F Appearance package.... IMO, the F Appear. really steps up the car, it rids the dated look, sets it apart from the hundreds of thousands of RX's on the road, as F Appear just started in 13, plus, its a very good looking mod.... not just because its different, but judge for yourself, will surely help re sale though....

BSM and Radar Cruise.... both are superb IMO.... I will never do without these safety features again. They are well executed by Lexus, and, you have to value, how much is avoiding an accident potentially worth? Radar cruise is a joy to use, the stress relief is amazing, its like adding a 2nd driver who never falls a sleep at the wheel. This assumes you spend some time on the freeways, vs. all stop n go traffic.

HUD, clearly a luxury, but if you drive a lot at night, its so impressive to turn off all the interior lights in the car, and have all info you need right in the windshield...the ultra dark interior allows your eyes to see the road so clearly without the interior lighting distraction. I used to do this before I had HUD, and lived without the data, but much nicer with the all relevant info in the windshield, speed, Nav, music, etc. You can test this yourself in your current ride, see if you like the benefits of this...if not, then it just comes down to the safety feature of keeping your eyes straight ahead vs. looking all over the interior.

Proximity sensors.... not a huge deal, but it already saved me from a big DING, so it paid for itself...was pulling in to parking spot, lamp post at front, right side, had a wide base to it, never saw it when pulling in.... sensor picked it up, thought it was a false reading, got closer, sensor went beep beep faster, got out, and whamo, strangest concrete base I ever saw on a lamp post, would have dented brand new ride. So already, glad I splurged, I hate dealing with body shops, paint matching, mechanics, etc.

ML, well, as mentioned, at this level, just get it...its worth the $1k add, but don't get your hopes up if you like loud music... its something after the fact, very hard to install. If you plan to tow, make sure you at least get the wiring to the hitch area...easy when building the car. Its possible they do this with all RX's, not sure.
F sports appearance package does make the car look really nice. I think it worth for $1100.

I have never tried the radar cruise control. And not sure how comfortable I will use it. I also think this option cost too much.
HUD is a nice option as well. I think it is also part of luxury package.

I also noticed that, dealer dont have many cars with ML and luxury in their inventory.
I see most of car has Premium package + Navi package , a few of them have comfort package and maybe F sports package. That's about it. Not many selection.
Old 04-22-13, 07:19 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

F Appear.
HUD
ML
Radar Cruise (not overpriced, perfectly executed, a bargain IMO)
All above, custom order ONLY, 3-4 months wait, never on lot. Lexus does not ship with any of these options. Lots of threads on this....
Old 04-22-13, 09:55 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Blind spot monitor is a must because it is so useful. Heads up display is my new favorite
Old 04-23-13, 01:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

seanlin, I say yes on all and add HUD. It's great to see speed in vision line while driving. Also yes on ML, especially at the price it is now. PCS/radar cruise control can go either way. PCS kicks in during hard braking (i.e., when an idiot swerves into your lane). But radar cruise control is not so useful in congested areas or at low speeds. You might find a 450h with ML and the luxury package if you're lucky. PCS/radar cruise control is basically available through special order like Dolphin said. That's the way to go if you want to get everything you want. And I'd opt for a '14 at this point if you do.
Old 04-23-13, 10:10 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Anyone able to show me a pic of the ML system? Like where the sub is located if there is one? Thanks!
Old 10-08-14, 06:16 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add to it.

I added most everything to my RXh and here is my opinion:

BSM - definitely worth it (extra $500 i think? - it's added into the Premium Package price)

IPA - definitely worth it ($500)

HUD - pretty nifty. At first, I was indifferent about it, but now I think it was worth the cost, even if it does just show the speed for the most part. $1200

LED - headlights are nice for sure. Not sure if it was worth the extra $1265 really. I have never had HID so I can't really compare vision at night, but I can see just fine with the LED's. You pretty much have to order with LED's unless you're lucky enough to find a Luxury Model sitting on the lot. At least get HID's (not halogens)

PCS - could have lived without the extra cost (once they make it where the RX comes to a complete stop, then it may be worth it, but at $1500 - skip it)

ML - not worth the extra money to me ($995)

19" wheels - i'm not completely positive if these are what causes my car to have a little rough ride or not. I think they definitely look better than the 18's $700

Tow Prep Package - at $245, why not? I may never tow something though.

RES - $499. Haven't used it yet, but with winter coming, I'm sure I will. Only downside is the range, but it's better to go OEM I think instead of having some 3rd party rig some "better" remote start.

Comfort Package - $825 - rain-sensing wipers, heated & ventilated seats. At that price, it's a no brainer.

Premium Package (with BSM included) $2760. I bit high in my opinion, but you should still get it.

Nav - $1915. yes the nav might not be the greatest, but I think it would have better resale value with that package on the car than without.
Old 10-09-14, 07:21 AM
Nezumi
Driver

It really depends on where you live and what you're going to do when you're done with the vehicle. I have learned the hard way that things like ML do not fetch ANY value if you are trading your car in. If you are willing to sell private party, you could still find value there. That being said, if you're keeping the car for any length of time, I found ML to be worthwhile. HOWEVER!

I just picked up my 450h on Monday. I have to say, the premium sound without ML is actually pretty darn good. It's not as good as the ML is in my IS350, but it's still very impressive to me. I have also heard that the ML in the RX is somewhat lackluster. I'm not sure that I'd pay extra to get it, unless you could actually find the vehicle on the lot with it.

For me personally, since I live in TX, I don't care about heated steering wheel and AWD. I rather get the better MPG and stick with FWD. Other things I value highly after driving it for a few days and several test drives:

- Blind side monitor: this option is just so important. I never thought it was going to be that great until I used it. I have car seats in the backseat and it really impedes visibility. This is REALLY helpful to make sure I'm confident in my lane changing. Just remember to still look
- Ventilated seats for heating and cooling: Heated seats are a must as it still can drop into the teens here, but the cooled seats are really nice in the summertime as well. Not to mention, the cooling on the seats in the RX works REALLY well.
- HIDs: This is also insanely important to me. I would never buy a car without them. Visibility is increased so much at night with these.

I guess that's all I really have to have, but either way, I bought comfort + premium + nav, etc. I have come to really enjoy parking assist and things like rain sensing wipers etc. The way I look at it, if you're going to only do this once in a long while, you should get all the features that you think would make you happy.

Edit: Oh and I really wanted HUD when it first came out, but the more I thought about it, it wasn't worth the money because I almost never use nav. Not to mention, the nav on the RX is in a very nice spot where I'm not looking down like in sedans.
Old 10-10-14, 04:30 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

We just ordered ours with:

Comfort Package
Intuitive Parking Assist
Nav System w/voice command
Premium Package w/Blind Spot Monitor
Sport Appearance Package
Tow Prep Package
HID's w/LED
Foglamps w/LED
Cargo Net, Cargo Mat, Wheel Locks
Cross Bars

The main thing for me was the Sport Appearance Package. The bumper just looks more modern and in tune with other current model Lexus vehicles. In fact, that is really the only reason we got the 450h instead of the 350. You cannot get an AWD 350 with the SAP, which is totally crazy. The wife couldn't deal with black interior on the F Sport model, so this was our only option and still have AWD.

Going to be a other couple of weeks until it gets here from Japan, and we can't wait!

Last edited by SeventyGTX; 10-10-14 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-12-14, 07:44 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Tow Prep is an invaluable option at a dirt cheap price. It provides extra cooling for the engine and tranny for longevity, and a more robust electrical system. For the low price they charge it can't be beat. Aftermarket add-ons are quite expensive. And even if you don't give a rip about adding longevity to your RX, it will come in handy if you ever need to add a hitch and for resale value.
The Premium pkg with leather, moonroof, folding heated mirrors, drivers seat-mirror and seeing wheel automatic settings, and BSM is a great bargain, Intuitive Park Assist and heated/ventilated seats are all worthwhile and comfy indeed. I also like the mats, cargo spider net and the body side moldings and door edge strips.
I don't need the factory NAV because Garmin has a much nicer, easier to use solutions that are waaay cheaper and easier to use, with free lifetime updates. The new 6" Garmin made for a very nice looking installation in our 2015 RX with the backup camera, Just to the right of the backup camera screen. There is no way I'm spending $2700 for a dumber NAV system that requires me to stop and put it in Park to make certain inputs, and fleeces me for regular map updates

Some of my options can be done without or gone around but for sure, i'm not buying an RX without the Tow Prep, Premium Pkg, heated/vented seats and Intuitive Park Assist. They are worth more than their cost, while the NAV and F Sport just aren't worth it to me.
These are my priorities.

Last edited by 2011RX350; 10-12-14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 06:16 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

BTW, since there seems to be some confusion, i should mention that HID headlights were standard equipment on our 2015 RX350. The window sticker mentions the standard equipment LED DRLs but does not mention the HID headlamps anywhere. Lexus still mentions the HIDs in the comfort pkg description in the brochure, which our 2015 does not have, so it seems they are confused as well.

Last edited by 2011RX350; 10-13-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 06:50 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
...The main thing for me was the Sport Appearance Package. The bumper just looks more modern and in tune with other current model Lexus vehicles...
I wanted the Sport Appearance Package, but couldn't get it with the LED headlamps (according to the dealer). In hindsight, I think I would have been happier with it (and HID's) instead. I agree that it makes the RX look much better and definitely sportier than the shark nose look.
I'm still happy with the car though.
Old 10-13-14, 07:47 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
We just ordered ours with:

Comfort Package
Intuitive Parking Assist
Nav System w/voice command
Premium Package w/Blind Spot Monitor
Sport Appearance Package
Tow Prep Package
HID's w/LED
Foglamps w/LED
Cargo Net, Cargo Mat, Wheel Locks
Cross Bars

The main thing for me was the Sport Appearance Package. The bumper just looks more modern and in tune with other current model Lexus vehicles. In fact, that is really the only reason we got the 450h instead of the 350. You cannot get an AWD 350 with the SAP, which is totally crazy. The wife couldn't deal with black interior on the F Sport model, so this was our only option and still have AWD.

Going to be a other couple of weeks until it gets here from Japan, and we can't wait!
^^ Congrats, sounds like it's going to be a beauty!! What color did you get?

That is going to be a long couple of weeks....
Old 10-13-14, 07:51 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ Congrats, sounds like it's going to be a beauty!! What color did you get?

That is going to be a long couple of weeks....
We went with Starfire Pearl/Parchment w/Bamboo.

We haven't even see one with bamboo interior yet, but the staff at our local dealer talked us into it. Actually, I could be wrong, but I think bamboo is the only wood available with Parchment interior on 450's.

Quick Reply: What is the must have options for RX 450H