RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 07:41 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr72
How many miles on the tires? Even quiet tires get loud over time. The '11 you drove my have had newer tires.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if the dealer didn't take you seriously, you may need to enlist the help of your parents. It shouldn't matter, but reality is it's hard for a teenager to get the attention of any car dealer/service center. If he wouldn't even send a tech out on a 10 minute test drive with you, there's a respect problem in my opinion. I've had noise issues in other cars and a test drive has always been the first recommendation of the service advisor.

Is the vehicle in your name or your parents? Does the service advisor think you're driving your parents car or does he understand this is actually your vehicle. I know it sounds lame, but the registered owner is going to get a higher level of service.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
The tires have around 20,000, same as the RX, the loaner I think had 13,000. I know they probably didn't take me seriously, because I'm 17. I'll guess take my dad with me, funny thing this is the first time that this has happened to me, I usually take all the cars for service, except my dads weekend warrior, and I never had this problem...

Last edited by MjThind; 04-16-13 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 10:23 AM
prmdc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

My door seals are being replaced tomorrow under warranty.
Old 04-16-13, 12:19 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I believe there is a tsb out for Lexus to change the side windows on the 2010-2011 RX's to the double paned windows.I have the double pane side windows on my 2012 RX.I have zero wind noise issues. I also have Michelins for tires which also keeps things quiet.
Old 04-16-13, 01:52 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I believe there is a tsb out for Lexus to change the side windows on the 2010-2011 RX's to the double paned windows.I have the double pane side windows on my 2012 RX.I have zero wind noise issues. I also have Michelins for tires which also keeps things quiet.
I had the TSB papers in hand, he said it was probably taken car of, but of course I have a hard time believing it...
Old 04-16-13, 01:57 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
I had the TSB papers in hand, he said it was probably taken car of, but of course I have a hard time believing it...
That would show up in the service history. No guessing there.
Register on lexusdrivers.com if you haven't already and check for yourself.
Old 04-16-13, 04:25 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vlad_a
That would show up in the service history. No guessing there.
Register on lexusdrivers.com if you haven't already and check for yourself.
I just registered and checked, no sign of any warranty work for the windows, so I'll guess I'm going to have to take my dad and get this worked out...
Old 04-16-13, 05:27 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

If the glass has been upgraded, it should read "laminated" in the lower right corner of the glass.
Old 04-16-13, 08:23 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Parked it in the garage for like 5 secs to get a better pic, but should it say LAMISAFE maybe? Here take a look at the picture...
http://i50.tinypic.com/2kg4zt.jpg
Old 04-16-13, 09:53 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. It says LAMINATED. Ours says Solarguard, Laminated, and has the Lexus logo.

Our car is a 9/09 build date from the sticker on the door jamb. There is nothing in the service history on Lexusdrivers.com to indicate the windows were ever swapped out. The vehicle was built in Canada.

So far we're two for two on dodging possible issues with our CPO. First was having Michelins, now the updated side window glass. The car has been very quiet so I would have been shocked if we didn't have the updated glass.

MjThind, you're in SoCal, right? Aren't there other dealers you could take it where the service manager may not be an a-hole and would help you out? Good luck. It sounds like you're on solid ground to demand they update the side windows.

Old 04-16-13, 10:17 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecr72
Nope. It says LAMINATED. Ours says Solarguard, Laminated, and has the Lexus logo.

Our car is a 9/09 build date from the sticker on the door jamb. There is nothing in the service history on Lexusdrivers.com to indicate the windows were ever swapped out. The vehicle was built in Canada.

So far we're two for two on dodging possible issues with our CPO. First was having Michelins, now the updated side window glass. The car has been very quiet so I would have been shocked if we didn't have the updated glass.

MjThind, you're in SoCal, right? Aren't there other dealers you could take it where the service manager may not be an a-hole and would help you out? Good luck. It sounds like you're on solid ground to demand they update the side windows.

Mine has a 3/10 build date and made in Japan, as per the door jam sticker. I also know it was built in Japan because my vin starts with JT and I think Canadian made RX's have vins starting in CT or 2T, something along those lines. I am actually in Nor Cal now, missin that So. Cal climate though. Thanks for the luck...
Old 04-17-13, 08:53 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I sounds like the outside air vent is OPEN. NO green light on the button. ( air circulation with a car icon)
Depending on your temperature settings, the vent will open/ close automatically to reAch the desired temp.

Last edited by markrivers; 04-17-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 03:06 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markrivers
I sounds like the outside air vent is OPEN. NO green light on the button. ( air circulation with a car icon)
Depending on your temperature settings, the vent will open/ close automatically to reAch the desired temp.

Its on auto...
Old 04-17-13, 03:07 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Here are the requested videos with the turn signal on...
Old 04-17-13, 05:08 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

First of all, that noise is not normal. Second, don't let the service adviser act like an idiot who doesn't care. Ask for the service manager. If that doesn't do it ask for the manager of the dealership and then the area manager from Lexus. Lexus will do anything to make you happy and then the dealer will get an earful from Lexus.

The noise sounds to me like the sunroof is slightly open or a window is not completely up. It's happened to me with the sunroof. You can't see it but if you open and close it both ways but especially up and down it may go away. If it's not that then the weatherstripping is bad somewhere in the car.
Old 04-17-13, 05:26 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bextreme1
First of all, that noise is not normal. Second, don't let the service adviser act like an idiot who doesn't care. Ask for the service manager. If that doesn't do it ask for the manager of the dealership and then the area manager from Lexus. Lexus will do anything to make you happy and then the dealer will get an earful from Lexus.

The noise sounds to me like the sunroof is slightly open or a window is not completely up. It's happened to me with the sunroof. You can't see it but if you open and close it both ways but especially up and down it may go away. If it's not that then the weatherstripping is bad somewhere in the car.
Just checked everything , everything is tightly as possiable... And thanks for the suggestions I will use them if the advisors aren't scared by my dad...

Quick Reply: Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!