RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer Ignored Wind Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 02:06 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I stopped by the dealership with the TSB and they told me that service bulletins are different than recalls. I.e. I have to pay $116 for an hour "diagnosis" before they will consider replacing the windows. Has this been your typical experience?

I understand it costs Lexus money, so they won't do a mass recall, but if there is anything that affects the comfort of the car shouldn't they just fix it upon request?
Old 05-03-13, 02:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If your vehicle is under warranty, there should not be any diagnostic charges. That is correct, TSBs are not recalls and often apply only during the warranty period.
Old 05-03-13, 03:19 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I stopped by the dealership with the TSB and they told me that service bulletins are different than recalls. I.e. I have to pay $116 for an hour "diagnosis" before they will consider replacing the windows. Has this been your typical experience?

I understand it costs Lexus money, so they won't do a mass recall, but if there is anything that affects the comfort of the car shouldn't they just fix it upon request?
Escalate to Lexus HQ, and as said above you should still a warranty because I think basic is 4 year/50,000 unless your vehicle is pre production I don't think you should be out of warranty. But definitely talk Lexus HQ or else you'll be the typical customer they get and just take what they say, this will get them a little scare and they will do it no questions asked...
Old 05-05-13, 10:17 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I thought I would post an update on the situation. I have still have to go to the dealership and get the problem addressed. I just haven't been able to go to because I want to go with my dad so they take me seriously and he been constantly making trips to NYC for business matters, so he kind of has packed schedule until mid June and as do since I have to study for my ACT, SAT, AP tests and school finals coming up. So I guess the next update will be in mid June...
-MjThind
Old 12-07-13, 06:57 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates on the window seals?
Old 12-07-13, 10:14 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!!! I hadn't been on here in a while. Glad I logged back in. I took my RX to the dealer with this problem in early 2011. They just replaced the door seals but I did notice that the issue was still there. I will head back with the TSB and check if it applies to my RX.

Good thing I just purchased the extended warranty. It may come in to use quicker than I expected.
Old 12-08-13, 07:14 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

There are several sound pressure meter apps available for the iPhone that can measure the sound level in the vehicle. I like the free Decibel 10th (dB) which can send the measured values as an email and the 99¢ SPL Meter from Andrew Smith which is more fully featured.

You can also use these meters for fine tuning your audio systems, both home or in-car, to achieve a flat and even response. There is a free audio test CD available on the web (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiocheck_testtoneCD.php) that contains sweep and fixed frequencies at reference levels that you can download and test your systems.

Back to your noise issue... If you can take readings from a couple different vehicles while in motion it would prove useful. You could then show the results to the dealer if he maintain the noise is normal. Hearing of noise is subjective, No two people hear the same. Using a meter puts real quantifiable values in play.

Here is a reference table of sounds.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
Old 12-08-13, 07:40 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There are several sound pressure meter apps available for the iPhone that can measure the sound level in the vehicle. I like the free Decibel 10th (dB) which can send the measured values as an email and the 99¢ SPL Meter from Andrew Smith which is more fully featured.

You can also use these meters for fine tuning your audio systems, both home or in-car, to achieve a flat and even response. There is a free audio test CD available on the web (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiocheck_testtoneCD.php) that contains sweep and fixed frequencies at reference levels that you can download and test your systems.

Back to your noise issue... If you can take readings from a couple different vehicles while in motion it would prove useful. You could then show the results to the dealer if he maintain the noise is normal. Hearing of noise is subjective, No two people hear the same. Using a meter puts real quantifiable values in play.

Here is a reference table of sounds.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
They will just tell you that recordings are distorted and you can't make an exact comparison. I guess you would have to go by concrete data and numbers, but they will make up another excuse.
Old 12-08-13, 08:06 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by 2008M3
They will just tell you that recordings are distorted and you can't make an exact comparison. I guess you would have to go by concrete data and numbers, but they will make up another excuse.
Maybe, but I was able to show numerical results to the service manager for my old RX and he stopped denying the noise was normal and replaced the weather stripping. In the process the tech found that the front windows were closing too far and distorting the rubber seals and that was what was causing my excessive wind noise. It got him to look a little deeper and sometimes that is all that is needed.

I think if he knows it really bothers you and you are going to be on this like a dog on a new bone, he may expend a little more effort to remedy the situation. In my case the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. Persistence pays off occasionally. After that, he always took care of any issue I had knowing I was not willing to live with things and I wouldn't go quietly away. I kind of set the bar for my expectations for the service I'd accept.
Old 12-08-13, 09:13 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Maybe, but I was able to show numerical results to the service manager for my old RX and he stopped denying the noise was normal and replaced the weather stripping. In the process the tech found that the front windows were closing too far and distorting the rubber seals and that was what was causing my excessive wind noise. It got him to look a little deeper and sometimes that is all that is needed.

I think if he knows it really bothers you and you are going to be on this like a dog on a new bone, he may expend a little more effort to remedy the situation. In my case the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. Persistence pays off occasionally. After that, he always took care of any issue I had knowing I was not willing to live with things and I wouldn't go quietly away. I kind of set the bar for my expectations for the service I'd accept.

So they can adjust how far the windows close?
Old 12-08-13, 12:50 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by 2008M3
So they can adjust how far the windows close?
Yes. Not sure if this is done by a sensor or mechanical adjustment.
Old 12-08-13, 03:21 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good follow up. I recently purchased a 2011 CPO and it is as quiet as could be until around 70+ mph and then I get some additional wind noise but not too crazy. I am pretty sensitive to audio and noise issues but I accept this as normal for an SUV with lots of glass. As far as measuring noise levels, remember that every 3 db's is roughly twice as loud! So if you do get the meter, even an additional db or two is meaningful. Good luck. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-08-13, 04:47 PM
jfelbab

FWIW, prior to the repair, I was able to quiet the cabin by tapping the down button to cause the glass to just drop a tiny bit. This was the tipoff to the tech that the weatherstripping was being distorted by excessive pressure.