RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Phone Book Empty

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 02:54 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Phone Book Empty

My 10 RX has a very annoying habit. I will transfer my phone book to and take the time to setup all the Speed dials. A week or two later the phone book is empty and all the speed dials are gone. This has happened 3 or 4 times now. Does anyone else RX phone book delete itself. Any fix?

Thanks
Old 04-14-13, 04:14 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

thats weird, i have my phone connected too, but havent had any issues with it yet, check the manual, maybe it has some auto-delete function that is set up every few weeks or theres something wrong with your console.
Old 04-14-13, 04:22 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've not heard of this problem, but just to help rule things out.... You are using the exact same key and the same phone each time, right? ...with no accidental switching of keys being used in the ignition with a different phone being automatically paired with your head unit at the same time. The truck's contact list I bet would be very confused in that case, since with a Lexus (which I like, but is unlike some other mfgr implementations) the contact list stays connected with what key is used -- not the phone -- each time. (I doubt this is your problem, but just wanted to be sure.)
Old 04-14-13, 04:56 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I am using the same key and same phone. The dealer couldn't find any reason. Could it be the battery? I mean if that was the case the clock would be reset also to then?

Seems some IS owners have this problem too https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-deleted.html

Last edited by satnav; 04-14-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 05:19 PM
BertL

I don't have this problem on my 2013 450h with Nav and an iPhone5 with latest level of iOS that I sync with my Mac OSX at latest level of Lion and iTunes. Those are basically your variables... Same MY RX with or without Nav, PC/Mac operating system that has your contacts (Windows or OSX), and level of iOS running your iPhone. If you find someone else that has the same set of things as you, and they don't have a problem, I'd suggest talking to your dealer that there is likely some problem with your RX head unit...

As an example, if I go in and delete the bluetooth pairing I have in my RX, turn off the truck, then re-pair my phone, all the contacts go back into the truck as they should. I have not tried to disconnect my battery (and sorry, won't intentionally try it for you ), but the truck should check your paired iPhone when it connects to the head unit, and update whatever contacts you may have changed on the phone -- deleting only those gone from your phone or updating entries you may have changed on it. I'm not aware of how the phone could control the speed dials ... I don't believe they HAVE to be something that is in your phone, so if you want to try something, put in a bogus phone number in one of the speed dials like 111-111-1111 that is not in your phone contacts and see if it eventually disappears with everything else like you say it has 3-4 times... If it does, it's something wrong for sure I your RX head unit... Good luck!

Last edited by BertL; 04-14-13 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling... Again!
Old 04-14-13, 06:21 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bert,

Interesting, this is the first I've heard the phonebook is associated with the key fob. For me at least, the first phone turned on in the car or the first person getting into the car with their phone turned on will be the active phonebook.

To get new contacts from my phone to the car, I usually delete all contacts and re-send them. The count of contacts changes and the new ones appear.

I've never had my phonebooks disappear. I have a 4S not an iPhone 5, if that matters.

Last edited by DunWkg; 04-14-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 06:47 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bert,

Interesting, this is the first I've heard the phonebook is associated with the key fob. For me at least, the first phone turned on in the car or the first person getting into the car with their phone turned on will be the active phonebook.

To get new contacts from my phone to the car, I usually delete all contacts and re-send them. The count of contacts changes and the new ones appear.

I've never had my phonebooks disappear. I have a 4S not an iPhone 5, if that matters.
David, I believe you're right and I've got a bit of a red face. I went too far saying it's tied to the key... It's only to the phone. ...just went back and re-read the manual to be sure and don't know where I came up with my delusion. Thanks for the subtle whack on my knuckles which I deserved.

OP, sorry 'bout that. Rest of what I suggested though still holds. I suggest you be really specific and post more detail here on your situation... What MY RX you have, do you have Nav or not, what level iOS you are running on your iPhone 5, and if you are syncing with Windows or OSX and what levels of those operating systems are involved. If you can find another person with the same combo and not a problem like you describe, it's your head unit, otherwise, we need to keep working on this and narrow down what is different between who has this working and who does not...

Last edited by BertL; 04-14-13 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added "you" for clarity -- this isn't Twitter after all!
Old 04-15-13, 04:57 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bert,
After you mentioned the active fob description, I read the IS link mentioned in another posting. Other folks seem to think the fob determines the phonebook used and contacts are automatically added.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7406642-post5.html

I just know from my experience with a '10RXh and a '12RXh both with navigation and iPhones before and including the 4s, it doesn't seem to be related to the fob. Must admit though, I don't read the manual much for bluetooth "it just works!".