RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Entertainment option issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 06:37 PM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Entertainment option issue

Finally, got RX350 AWD 2013 model for $46,500 with blind spot pack & single rear entertainment system. Just drove from the dealer...have a problem if the screen is down for the DVD player can't see a thing on my rear view mirror..The rep didn't even recommed the dual screen while we were thinking. He said it will be like how you have in Sienna...Never had this issue with Sienna. What is wrong or what should I do? Tried calling dealer/rep ofcourse he is already closed..Anyone face this problem? Any solution?? Any help please..Thanks...
Old 04-11-13, 06:56 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mengans
Finally, got RX350 AWD 2013 model for $46,500 with blind spot pack & single rear entertainment system. Just drove from the dealer...have a problem if the screen is down for the DVD player can't see a thing on my rear view mirror..The rep didn't even recommed the dual screen while we were thinking. He said it will be like how you have in Sienna...Never had this issue with Sienna. What is wrong or what should I do? Tried calling dealer/rep ofcourse he is already closed..Anyone face this problem? Any solution?? Any help please..Thanks...
Single rear entertaiment ? I dint recall seeing lexus offer this as an optional package.

If your rear view mirror isnt working, it has a problem. Tell the dealer to fix it, or you r going to return it. There is no connection between rear view mirror and the DVD player. Beside, rearview mirror is a safety measurement device, and it should never be faulty in a new vehicle, let alone a new luxury lexus.
Old 04-11-13, 07:12 PM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Apparently they offered me single entertainment for $1900 & dual for $2600. When I asked to see a model before I decided on the single one the Rep mentioned it would just look like how it is on my Sienna. I see everything on rear view mirror if the Screen my DVD player is closed...Basically, they have installed it in the middle & it is blocking rear view mirror if kids open to watch something...Not sure how this can be fixed without spending anymore $$$...thanks
Old 04-11-13, 07:32 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently they offered me single entertainment for $1900 & dual for $2600. When I asked to see a model before I decided on the single one the Rep mentioned it would just look like how it is on my Sienna. I see everything on rear view mirror if the Screen my DVD player is closed...Basically, they have installed it in the middle & it is blocking rear view mirror if kids open to watch something...Not sure how this can be fixed without spending anymore $$$...thanks
It is the rep fault, and it is the unprofessional service at that dealer fault. Once should never install a dvd display screen at an angle where it blocks the rear view mirror.

Tomorrow, call him, and demand him to fix it nicely, and professionally, if not, return the car. They will have to take the car back, because the rep wrongly advised you, because their installer people did install it unprofessionally.

As it is blocking your rearview mirror, the vehicle is unsafe to operate. In Michigan, DC, cops can pull you over and fine you for hanging cute little things on the back of your rearview mirror as a safety precaution. Those things can distract, and obstruct your rearview

In my opinion, just ask them to switch the car up, and go after market on rear seats dvd players. Cheaper, and nicer. They will not be able to patch up your top nicely now, when removing that single screen

If they neither agree with reinstalling, nor taking the car back. Take the pictures, take the car home, hire an lawyer, and you have a winning lawsuit.
Old 04-12-13, 07:48 PM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

No Go...Went to the dealer & tried to convince him with the issue I was facing. He asked to get used to the fact of not depending the rear view mirror, He says, I should be able to Navigate with the left & right mirrors because I have the blind spot option. No return/exchange also because Ohio law doesn't have 3day grace period unless some mechanical problem itseems. When I mentioned about the Michigan/DC cops for blocking rear view mirror..He said "that he was from DC. there is no law like that...because the truck driver can't see what happens to his rear OR if you are moving & filled stuff with the trunk then also you can't see anything the rear view mirror. I am just pissed not sure what to do...He said if I am ready to pay the charges for redoing the top interior (taking from another RX & put into mine & vice versa) need to pay for both the labour then get a dual rear entertainment center (atleast another $3K-3.5K) then he can help OR I should just get to used this. Since he already gave me a deal he said he can't even meet me midway with the charges..I am tired. Wish Lexus Co-operate had some standards to be followed across all dealers with all the accessories....Sorry I am grumbling so much...thanks for listening..Any help..
Old 04-13-13, 05:19 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Who are you working with at the dealership just your salesperson? You need to talk to the General Manager and explain it. Insist that he/she drive the car. If that doesn't work contact corporate. Get the Better Business Bureau involved.

All that being said, You may want to review your paperwork again. You may have agreed to accept it as is the way they delivered it, not the way you thought.

Good Luck
Old 04-13-13, 06:08 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No Go...Went to the dealer & tried to convince him...
Mengans, I'm sorry about your being unhappy. I agree you should try talking to the Sales Manager as well and closely review your paperwork.

You're not going to like my following comments though... Your original post #539 on the 7th gave me the impression you had not done a lot of research before essentially purchasing this vehicle, but were operating in the heat of moment. I tried to suggest back in post #540 that this rear view entertainment system may not be a "real Lexus" version. I appreciate a Lexus dealer sold a 3rd party solution to you, but honestly, be it a muffler, new body kit, different wheels or tires, changing-out light bulbs, or anything else I would want done to my ride, I'd personally investigate it to the Nth degree to make sure the product was what I wanted before I had the work done. I suppose I'm a bit of a research hound, but I also expect that once I give approval to have any work done -- verbally or written -- it's my problem if I don't like the product or option I've selected -- unless of course the product itself is defective or the installation work itself is inferior -- neither which I believe from this thread is the root of the problem here.

I actually think your dealer is trying to help, even though it isn't what you want to hear... If you pay for it, they are willing to swap your 3rd party entertainment system to another vehicle which they are then stuck with in terms of configuration they must sell to another customer, and you then pay to have a different entertainment system installed into your vehicle that you may be more satisfied with. While it's costly from your perspective, that seems reasonable to me.

Again, I'm sorry for you're not being completely satisfied with your new Lexus, and not siding with what you probably want to hear or others on the board may be offering. I wasn't there -- only you were, so I can only go from what I read and interpret from these posts. FWIW, maybe my perspective will help some way. Good luck with whatever you do. I wish you well.
Old 04-13-13, 06:53 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've stayed out of this as it's really not 'my' place to tell another buyer what is or is not a good deal. One has to assume the buyer (buying this type of car) is not a 1st time buyer and has some knowledge how the process works.

But... Mengans the system was described to you as being similar to the one in your Sienna ??? Well that's not a SUV like the RX but a van style with a higher roof. It was up to you to judge and evaluate what it would be like. Simply setting in the drivers seat of the RX and using the mirror should indicate that a screen hanging from the roof would be problematic. That being said, IMHO that kind of installation from the dealer was wrong from the start but it WAS described to you beforehand per your post.

I'm going to ask that the posters from here on only offer ideas to fix the issue rather than tell the OP what she 'should' do as that is between the op, dealer and any legal counsel they may have. If necessary I'll close the thread to keep C/L from any responsibility.
Old 04-13-13, 06:55 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm Cruiter has a point. But all I can say is this Vehicle is now unsafe to operate. Hopefully you have it solved
Old 04-13-13, 07:40 AM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

I did speak with the sales Manager and not Sales rep(he is off on friday). Yes, they did put the Rosean Entertainment center which are put generally in all Lexus but it is the single roof mounted one. Jim Myers, I understand that C/L is a community of people trying help & will not be responsible for an of the actions I take. Thanks for the help. Since it is not so safe for me drive I will see what can be done. Again, I just need some input based on experiences & no one will be legally responsible for any of this...thanks
Old 04-13-13, 04:30 PM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Default My RX350

This is how my RX350 looks with the DVD Screen up & down. I just took the pics in my Drive way with my Camry behind...Can't see a thing with the screen down...Thanks for any feedback..
Attached Thumbnails Entertainment option issue-img_8580.jpg   Entertainment option issue-img_8581.jpg  
Old 04-13-13, 04:38 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

That look is completely horrible. There is another thread for installing the headrest dvd system which only cost 400 max, and way better than this.

What did the general manager say about that installation ?
Old 04-14-13, 05:10 AM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

Manger said that "They did nothing wrong because we wanted a rear entertainment system & they did just that" . I should just get used to the fact that "I can't see on the rear view but depend on my side mirrors because I have blind spot monitors". I just wish they had not even given this option & I wouldn't have even considered if it was so unsafe. I can't even see if an Amblunace/Police is coming 5cars behind to slow down or leave the way. (can't just depend on the Siren sound with radio on/kids in the back). I am in the process of getting an estimate to remove the whole thing & replace with the new interior(just top from a different RX). I need to pay for both RX's removal + installation. Thanks for listening..
Old 04-14-13, 05:35 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Mengans. So sorry to hear about this. What lexus dealer is this ? Have you tried talking to a lawyer ? Just tell one of the general lawyer about your situation, and see what he can do ?
Old 04-14-13, 05:53 AM
mengans
Driver School Candidate

This is at Performance Lexus, Cincinnati, Ohio. I do not have any Lawyer friends):-And also, I am waiting for the estimate if it is amount the dealer can pay. I am planing to call the Co-operate office in California on Monday & ask them to look into the Standards recommended for SUV's from them. I understand that the dealers can install accessories but I guess they still need to follow some standard rules from the company for the Safety purpose. The funny part is the so freindly Customer Rep who sold me the Car hasn't even returned my call or replied to my mail.(I met the Manager on friday because this guy was off). My bad for trusting when he is said the DVD system would look perfect..Thanks.

Quick Reply: Entertainment option issue