RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

CNET's review of the '13 RX F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 03:48 AM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CNET's review of the '13 RX F-Sport

http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2013-lex...-35656061.html
Old 04-10-13, 04:53 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Nothing really new that hasn't already been discussed. I like the body design over the regular RX. I probably wouldn't have bought a RX had there been no F Sport version.
Old 04-10-13, 06:02 AM
Rxstarfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that many of these reviewers think the F Sport is supposed to do everything the same way as the RX. They seem to expect it will ride as smoothly, shift the same way, corner the same way, etc. It is a different vehicle. The whole point is to have something different that may appeal to different people. If I wanted the F Sport to look and feel just like the RX...well, I would have bought the RX.

I am extremely happy with my purchase. It was definitely the vehicle for me. I like the improved cornering, even if the ride isn't as smooth. I like the 8 speed tranny, I like the paddle shifters, and I like the styling. It is all a matter of opinion. Where I love my F Sport, those who opted for the RX love theirs as well (as they should). The idea was to give more options to appeal to a larger group of people and I think Lexus accomplished that. They created two awesome vehicles...well three if you throw in the 450h as well, and have now brought more buyers into the Lexus family.

I understand some of the concerns that the reviewers bring up, I just feel like many of them have been too harsh on the F Sport. If it was that bad, no one would buy it!
Old 04-10-13, 06:19 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i didnt buy the F sport, and the apps were not my buying points. The buying point of the RX to me was it smoothness in driving, shifting gears, soft ride, ultra quiet, high position seat, and easy to get in/out.

I bought for my wife, and that were all she cares about.

Oh, and the eyes lids LED was what caught her the most. She was like....oh...look....how girly of the car...so....CCCUUUUUUTTTEEEE!!!!
Old 04-10-13, 06:22 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i think most car enthusiast have a hard time accepting the "sport" part.
over all, i believe it was a fair review
Old 04-10-13, 06:44 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I, for one, would not have bought an RX350 if it was not available in the fsport model.

I drove the regular RX and found it to be too loose on the road with too much pitch and roll when cornering. I have been driving high performance cars for over 20 years, and currently own and drive a 2012 ISF. I wanted an SUV that handled tighter on the road and one that would handle "better" than the plain RX.

In the end, anyone in the market for an RX should drive the fsport version, and be the judge themselves.

I love the aggressive look, the handling, and the 8 spd transmission is nice. My expectations were not of an ISF disguised as an RX...
Old 04-10-13, 07:05 AM
aumate
Driver School Candidate

Only bought because there was an F Sport. If, there hadn't been, I'd be in a Q7 TDI right now.
Old 04-10-13, 07:21 AM
jclem
Pole Position

I think Lexus' decision to add the F sport was a smart one. With cars (and women), some want them built for speed, some for comfort. I happen to be in the 'comfort' camp (with both ), but there was a definite need for Lexus to be able to compete in the speed/sport category, so they were wise to add rather than try to replace.
Old 04-10-13, 08:58 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and, when you add the F Appearance package, you gain the sporty look, but not the super tight ride and forced BLACK interior. So, another NICE alternative. I too, would have not purchased an RX had the F Appearance not been an option, as I could not handle an all black interior in the HEAT! I also could not handle the body pitch / roll of the standard RX, so adding the F Dampener to the suspension with dealer upgrade.... gave me everything I wanted...so, fully agreed, more choices, more buyers. I think all auto companies are figuring this out, with so many choices in engine types, sport bodies, suspensions, etc. Some cars like the Porsche Cayenne can have nearly a 300% variance in price based on style / options.
Old 04-10-13, 09:49 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW as if that guy compared the RX F sport to a BMW X5M, what a retard!
Old 04-10-13, 11:08 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
WOW as if that guy compared the RX F sport to a BMW X5M, what a retard!
Exactly. But honestly I feel like the more rigid suspension is better off on the CX up coming SUV. I would have bought F-sport for Sport appearance, 8 speed trans, and Comfort package....but the only thing that turns me off is the Rigid Suspension. I and wife favor the Softer ride.

If I wanted a more sport handling, and Firmer respond Plus more power, I would have waited for the next CX to come out. I probably buy it too LOL
Old 04-10-13, 01:12 PM
Cajundude
Driver School Candidate

It is truly just a matter of preference.
Old 04-10-13, 04:06 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Exactly. But honestly I feel like the more rigid suspension is better off on the CX up coming SUV. I would have bought F-sport for Sport appearance, 8 speed trans, and Comfort package....but the only thing that turns me off is the Rigid Suspension. I and wife favor the Softer ride.

If I wanted a more sport handling, and Firmer respond Plus more power, I would have waited for the next CX to come out. I probably buy it too LOL
Well you see, its all preference. Now i prefer the harder suspension of my F sport compared to the original RX. It gives me much more confidence in the corners with near absent body roll and the tight overall feeling. I think the added weight of my 450h compared to the RX350 is also a bonus for stability as well as speed.

I do feel that its a shame you guys dont get the 450h F sport in the US. I think its a much more suited drivetrain to the F sport line, super smooth and quick, just the way i like it
Old 04-10-13, 05:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

It is a shame the 450h F-Sport isn't available here. But I feel like I have the second best thing with the sport package. Even more so now that it isn't available anymore No doubt I would get the 350 F-Sport if I didn't have the 450h.

I noticed the RX F-Sport in the review has the Dunlops. It makes me wonder how much different the ride would be with the Michelins. I don't think the Dunlops are the best match for the F-Sport, at least during my test drive. And I had them on the 450h.
Old 04-13-13, 04:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Anita, as a side note, you have the best tires - the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S if I'm not mistaken.

As far as the cnet review and many others that trashed the F-Sport's comfort and road noise, I noticed the Dunlops too and I cringed. Come on Lexus, read all the posts out there including real-world ratings on Tirerack. You're putting last place tires on a first place vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails CNET's review of the '13 RX F-Sport-tires.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-13-13 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: CNET's review of the '13 RX F-Sport